2018 Depth Chart

Jaykay

Reaction score
Any early guesses at two deeps for this coming season?

Take a stab at it.
Qb Morgan/ Annexsted
Rb1 1. Smith 2. Ibrahim 3. Femi-Cole
Wr1 1. Johnson 2. Bateman
Wr2 1. Howard 2. Autman-Bell
Wr3 1. Douglas 2. Van Dyne
TE1 1. Beebe 2. Spann-Ford
TE2 1. Kieft 2. Paulson
LT 1. Greene 2. Faalele
RT 1. Schlueter 2. Dickson
LG 1. Olson 2. Dunlap
RG 1. Andres 2. Dovich
C 1. Weyler 2. Schmitz
RE 1. Coughlin/ DeLattiboudere 3. Gibson/ Reigelsperger
LE 1. Otomewo/ Mafe 3. Devers
DT 1. Moore 2. Umlor 3. Robinson/Hickrox
NT 1. OJ Smith 2. Silver 3. Teague
Strongside 1. Martin/ Cashman 3. Guthrie
Weakside 1. Huff 2. Rush 3. Oliver
Mike 1. Barber 2. Sori-Marin
CB1 1. Shenault 2. Harris
CB2 1. Williamson 2. Durr
Nickel Winfield at times otherwise opportunity for guys like Estes or Thomas to step up
Safety Winfield and Huff. After that maybe Aune or Sapp maybe Terrel or CJ Smith. Can't afford injuries in the backfield.
K Carpenter
P Ryerse
LS Jordahl
I tried to include freshman where they could see the field for their red shirt games. Could help keep positions like the secondary healthy. I am sure I left some guys out or put some lineman on the wrong side. I hope Femi-Cole can get on the field, but I fear he may have an uphill battle

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My money is on Edmonds or Williams to get carries at RB. I don't think JFC cracks the lineup.

I think Bateman starts at WR from day 1 and not Howard.

Dunlap and Faalele played RG and RT in spring practice, so if they make the 2-deep I bet they will be on that side.

I think Thomas is the 2nd or 3rd best CB on the team.

Sori-Marin redshirts, Rush is the back-up MLB. Oliver is 2nd team LB.

My money is on Edmonds or Williams to get carries at RB. I don't think JFC cracks the lineup.

Dunlap and Faalele played RG and RT in spring practice, so if they make the 2-deep I bet they will be on that side.

Thanks for the info. So is Andres on the left. Figured they might want to try grooming Faalele with Greene being a Senior to take over at LT. Honestly I get Thomas and Durr mixed up, is Thomas the one who started the Holiday Bowl but got hurt. We seem thin at MLB so that doesn't surprise me that someone like Thomas would move their. I could see Cashman being all over the field too, especially in passing situations.

Femi-Cole seems like the only legitimate short yardage running back we have. I'd like to see him in there, even if only in those situations.

I agree on Howard. I have a difficult time seeing him as a starter.

I also hope Dunlap and Faalele don't play more than four games.

Our linebacker unit is strong and deep. That's been the best area of recruitment over the past few years.

Seth Green starting rcvng te...backed up by Paulson or SpannFord...Kieft and Beebe blocking tes, fullbacks

Herbers over Ryerse?
Swenson in the safety mix.
Renner in the DE mix.

Thanks for the info. So is Andres on the left. Figured they might want to try grooming Faalele with Greene being a Senior to take over at LT. Honestly I get Thomas and Durr mixed up, is Thomas the one who started the Holiday Bowl but got hurt. We seem thin at MLB so that doesn't surprise me that someone like Thomas would move their. I could see Cashman being all over the field too, especially in passing situations.

I think the OL will look like this:

LT: Greene
LG: Olson
C: Weyler
RG: Andries
RT: Schleuter

Durr started in the Holiday Bowl.

if Florida transfer Williamson lives up to his early four star billing and Sapp is healthy and plays up to his early four star billing and Winfield is back to his frosh AllAmerican level after injury, secondary is going to be very, very good. seniors huff and shenault are proven, solid, experienced. Kiondre covering a two or three opponent wr behind Williamson and Winfield is good...similarly Shenault vs a three or four opponent wr...Swenson can be the type of safety WI, IA, NW have used on great defensive units...if the fastest kid in Georgia, T Smith, is ready to go, even better...the other Smith looks like a Sawvel safety...love seeing off season praise for Harris...Estes was a guy PJ said could have helped last year if they wanted to burn his redshirt....big collection of great pass rushing options will help the secondary...

Rough guess.

QB Morgan, Annexstad
RB Smith, Ibraheim
WR Tyler Johnson, Demetrious Douglas
WR, Rashod Bateman, Chris Autmann Bell
TE H Beebe, Paulsen
TE Y Spann-Ford, Seth Green
LT: Green, Schlueter/Sassack
LG Weyler, Oseland
OC: Olson, Dovich
RG: Andries, Dunlap/Schmitz
RT: Dickson, Faalele

DE: Delattiboudere, Ottemewo
DT: Moore, Umlor
DT: Smith, Silver
DE: Coughlin, Devers
OLB: Martin, Braelin Oliver
MLB: Barber, Danny Anderson
OLB Cashman, Julian Huff
CB: Antonio Shenault, Terrell Smith
S: Winfield, Swenson
S: Jacob Huff, Estes
CB: Chris Williamson, Durr

Take a stab at it.
Qb Morgan/ Annexsted
TE2 1. Kieft 2. Paulson
LT 1. Greene 2. Faalele
LG 1. Olson 2. Dunlap
RG 1. Andres 2. Dovich
C 1. Weyler 2. Schmitz
Nickel Winfield at times otherwise opportunity for guys like Estes or Thomas to step up
Safety Winfield and Huff. After that maybe Aune or Sapp maybe Terrel or CJ Smith. Can't afford injuries in the backfield.
K Carpenter
P Ryerse
LS Jordahl
I tried to include freshman where they could see the field for their red shirt games. Could help keep positions like the secondary healthy. I am sure I left some guys out or put some lineman on the wrong side. I hope Femi-Cole can get on the field, but I fear he may have an uphill battle

Very interesting analysis. Thanks. Agree with not being able to afford injuries in backfield. Suggest Rodney Smith and starting DB's not return kickoffs and punts. These are the most dangerous roles. Let FR backs earn their chops there.

I think Bateman will eventually start, probably take Howard spot. I looked at it as more of a game one type of chart. I think by the end of the year, Bateman will be a top two or three guy

Rough guess.

QB Morgan, Annexstad
RB Smith, Ibraheim
TE H Beebe, Paulsen
LG Weyler, Oseland

DT: Howard, Silver
OLB Cashman, Julian Huff

As mentioned above, Kiondre Thomas is likely our second or third best cornerback...if Estes plays safety, we are in trouble.

Dickson may not be ready to go, from what PJ has said.

Schoenfelder is a walk-on name to watch at LB.

I hope Teague surprises at DT...offers from IL, IN, ISU, KY, Louisville, MSU, MO, OK, PSU, UCF, SoCar, Syr, TN, WSU, WI

Take a stab at it.
Qb Morgan/ Annexsted
TE2 1. Kieft 2. Paulson
LT 1. Greene 2. Faalele
LG 1. Olson 2. Dunlap
RG 1. Andres 2. Dovich
C 1. Weyler 2. Schmitz
K Carpenter
P Ryerse
LS Jordahl

Solid. Might flip Howard and Douglas.

Rough guess.

QB Morgan, Annexstad
RB Smith, Ibraheim
TE H Beebe, Paulsen
LG Weyler, Oseland

OLB Cashman, Julian Huff

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Coughlin was mostly going to be a stand up DE on passing downs and LB on other downs?

This is why depth charts can be a little silly because they have so many different packages whether it's nickel, dime ,etc. Makes it difficult to pin down a 2 deep.

I don't mind silly when it come to Gopher sports. Go Gophers!

Rough guess.

QB Morgan, Annexstad
RB Smith, Ibraheim
TE H Beebe, Paulsen
LG Weyler, Oseland

OLB Cashman, Julian Huff

Die Hard, really like your rough guess, esp. on Offense.

Only a small quibble at Center. Weyler at center, Dovich/Schmitz as backup. Olson to LG.

Really like your placement of Faalele and Dunlop to backup roles on the right side. QB's (esp. FR) much prefer to limit blind side hits from fast, big DE's going inside/outside inexperienced LG, LT's.

Really like your choice of Spann-Ford and Seth Green at "TE Y". I am not familiar with term but assume it to be similar to "Slot Back".

I have a particular vision for later in the season (say the WI game?). An off tackle slant by Smith behind Dunlop and Faalele. Led into the hole by either Spann-Ford, Green, or a pulling Olson to take care of any LB who might survive the RG, RT push. That should get their attention (and a TD if we can get into the Redzone). Repeat until the Badger surrenders his sword to Goldy!

When I look at this mock depth chart I have a lot of optimism for this season. It feels like we have a push or upgrade at almost every position vs. last year. Barring injuries, the team should see significant improvement.

After listening to Fleck on the Sports Huddle this morning, I suspect that it's going to be tricky to predict a depth chart, because it could change depending on who red-shirts, and which players are used for the "4-game" red-shirt rule.

so, let's say for argument - if Dunlap and Faalele will only be able to play in 4 games this year, in order to preserve a full year of eligibility down the road, then you've got two different depth charts for OL - one chart for 8 games, and a different depth chart for the 4 games they are available.

Same thing with any position that will be impacted by the 4-game rule. Throw in injuries, etc, and the depth chart may not be exactly the same for any game after week #1.

I'm not sure how that will work from a logistics standpoint - when does a coach have to declare who is eligible to play in that week's game? do they have to declare an active roster like the NFL? Or do we literally have to watch the game and see who plays? "Hey, freshman X is playing this week. Freshman Y played last week, but not this week."

it's like the old line, you really can't tell the players without a scorecard. and with the double numbers that get used in College FB (a #20 on offense and a #20 on defense), if you don't have an up-to-date roster in front of you, you may not know who's playing. Could make it real interesting for broadcasters on radio and TV. "and in the game now at right tackle is........(long pause).......who the bleep is that?"

I expect batemann or autumn bell to start over Howard

Also if faalele or Dunlap are good enough to start...no clue if they are I say start then because it’s not like they’d stay all 5 years cause I could see them being nfl caliber down the line

Also why you guys forgetting OJ Smith at DT??

Ah, accidentally put "Howard" at DT as I was thinking of another O.J. from Alabama, TE O.J. Howard who ended up as a first round pick last year.

Also why you guys forgetting OJ Smith at DT??

Sid asked about transfers today. PJ deflected, saying they don’t have many.

A few months ago, OJ Smith, Williamson, Viramontes, Dickson were all considered probable starters.

Vic gone now, Dickson may redshirt, not much chatter on Williamson, who was injured for Spring game, or OJ.

Punter transfer from SMU compete to start?

WR True Thompson, Darrell’s kid, also transferred in.
Gossage transferred from EIU, where he caught a lot of balls.
VanDyne, transfer from Iowa, now eligible.
Royal Silver from IWCC would be another nice piece for dline.
Don’t hear much about NovakGoar another Iowa Western transfer.
or Leius, who transferred in last year.
Davis, who transferred from Cali juco, adds some age and experience to oline.
Is Owen Piche, the Navy LB transfer, eligible since he had to go prep route? Kid had 6 MAC offers and a Cinci offer. Three star at 247.
The UMD db transfer prbly has to sit as does the big athletic dline transfer from Concordia.

I do think that, barring injuries or poor performance, they’ll try to have Dickson redshirt this year and take over for Greene for 2019 & 2020.

Sid asked about transfers today. PJ deflected, saying they don’t have many.

A few months ago, OJ Smith, Williamson, Viramontes, Dickson were all considered probable starters.

Vic gone now, Dickson may redshirt, not much chatter on Williamson, who was injured for Spring game, or OJ.

Punter transfer from SMU compete to start?

WR True Thompson, Darrell’s kid, also transferred in.
Gossage transferred from EIU, where he caught a lot of balls.
VanDyne, transfer from Iowa, now eligible.
Royal Silver from IWCC would be another nice piece for dline.
Don’t hear much about NovakGoar another Iowa Western transfer.
or Leius, who transferred in last year.
Davis, who transferred from Cali juco, adds some age and experience to oline.
Is Owen Piche, the Navy LB transfer, eligible since he had to go prep route? Kid had 6 MAC offers and a Cinci offer. Three star at 247.
The UMD db transfer prbly has to sit as does the big athletic dline transfer from Concordia.

Good call out! That's an interesting deflection that I would not have expected. Hopefully, that was a slight at Vic and not our other transfers, because I was hoping Oj Smith and Chris Williamson would bring an influx of P5 talent to the defense.

Keeping the red shirt on a lot of guys (Dunlap, Faalele, Dickson) would be helpful long-term. Playing a ton of freshman isn't ideal.

I also think Spann-Ford may redshirt. I think physically he could help right away but there is a chance he ends up on defense long-term and if Greene can be a pass catching TE, then the need for him to play a true FR is less.

Keeping the red shirt on a lot of guys (Dunlap, Faalele, Dickson) would be helpful long-term. Playing a ton of freshman isn't ideal.

I also think Spann-Ford may redshirt. I think physically he could help right away but there is a chance he ends up on defense long-term and if Greene can be a pass catching TE, then the need for him to play a true FR is less.

I don't think it's likely Spann-Ford moves to defense. Not that he couldn't do, he'd certainly be capable of playing DE and would probably be good but it would be a huge waist of his considerable ball skills and body control to have him on the other side of the ball. I'm expecting him to the best redzone TE from day 1, maybe even the best redzone pass catcher from day 1. I mean I guess there is always a chance he could switch positions but no greater of a chance than say Terrell Smith moving to WR.

A few thoughts:
Dunlap and Faalele will be here 4 years max, no redshirt.
Dickson has some credit issues sounds like, not injury issues. He will start at RT if eligible most likely, RS if not.

Top Bottom