Shama: Streveler Proves U Critics Wrong

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Chris Streveler’s success, including now in the Canadian Football League, is a lot different than what the former Illinois high school all-state quarterback experienced with the Golden Gophers.

Like light years different.

Streveler enrolled at Minnesota in January of 2013 and participated in spring practice. By the spring of 2016 he was transferring to South Dakota, ending a Gopher career that included one meaningful game playing quarterback. Before Streveler transferred, he had been switched to wide receiver in an attempt to get him playing time and use the athleticism that helped produce over 1,200 rushing yards during his high school career.

In two seasons at South Dakota Streveler threw for 6,081 yards and 54 touchdowns. He was named Missouri Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Year following last season. That wasn’t enough, though, to make an NFL team draft him. Instead, he signed a CFL deal with Winnipeg where earlier this season he became the first quarterback coming straight out of college to start a league game since 1994.

Injury and retirement thinned the Blue Bombers’ quarterback roster this year and prompted naming Streveler the starter for the first three regular season games. Streveler had impressed in the preseason including in his first game when he completed 10 of 10 passes, with an 80-yard touchdown pass.

Streveler started the first three regular season games for the now 2-3 Blue Bombers. He has also seen game action since then. He has completed 57 of 91 passes, with six touchdown passes (tops on the team) and two interceptions. He is the team’s second leading rusher with 228 yards and four touchdowns.

At Minnesota Streveler, whose completion percentage in high school was 68.8 percent, was labeled a quarterback who couldn’t pass after the one start of his career for the Gophers. He attempted seven passes and completed one as part of a game plan against San Jose State that clearly mandated running the ball. Streveler rushed 18 times for 161 yards and running back David Cobb had 207 yards on 34 carries in Minnesota’s 24-7 win in September of 2014.

Critics thought the Gophers had a running back disguised as a QB. They saw him as a dart thrower, perhaps as likely to toss an interception as a completion. Streveler played behind Mitch Leidner, the 2014-2016 starter who had his own critics. Leidner never found the consistency needed to maximize Minnesota’s offense.

Turns out Streveler could have been the type of quarterback talent that has often been nonexistent at Minnesota for decades. Since 1987 the Gophers have had two highly honored quarterbacks with end of season Big Ten recognition. Rickey Foggie was named second team All-Big Ten in 1987 and Adam Weber earned the same honor in 2008.

Streveler found opportunity at South Dakota where he listened to his coaches including head man Bob Nielson. In a June 3, 2018 story in the Winnipeg Sun, Streveler said “…the amount that I learned in those two years, from those guys, it took my game to a level that I didn’t even know was there. If I hadn’t gone to South Dakota I wouldn’t have the opportunity to be here right now.”

Among Streveler’s receivers in Winnipeg is former Gopher teammate and wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky. In the San Jose game it was Wolitarsky who caught the one pass from Streveler—a modest seven-yard completion.

Oh, how things have changed.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

...Critics thought the Gophers had a running back disguised as a QB. They saw him as a dart thrower, perhaps as likely to toss an interception as a completion. Streveler played behind Mitch Leidner, the 2014-2016 starter who had his own critics. Leidner never found the consistency needed to maximize Minnesota’s offense.

Didn't our coaches think that, too? No wait, they thought he was a wide receiver.

the best thing to do now is

Let's just wish Chris S. the best in the CFL and at the same time wish Mitch L. the best in construction.

I'm not sure what has been proven? He had success at South Dakota, which has a much lower level of play than the Big Ten, and is having success in the CFL, which has a much lower level of play than the NFL.

I'm not sure what has been proven? He had success at South Dakota, which has a much lower level of play than the Big Ten, and is having success in the CFL, which has a much lower level of play than the NFL.

What has been proven? That "_____"s who couldn't understand why Streveler was given a a scholarship in the 1st place and were thrilled he left, are now screaming that Chris should have been the Gopher starting QB all along! ;)

It's possible he never would have developed nearly as well even if he was given the opportunity at Minnesota. Players learn and develop differently, and it's possible South Dakota was just a better fit for him.

SD was a better fit for him developmental-wise.

Jerry Kill & Co. were heavily invested in Mitch Leidner. The problem in MN is not the QB position alone. They have an offensive line that was often injury prone and not enough depth. They've had WRs that could not catch the ball consistently.

The Gophers botched developing the offense. They thought they had no choice but to go with RUTM and Mitch Leidner's run threat. So, they become a more of a run dominant team which for the most part had very predictable tendencies.

They did a remarkable job tooling up the defense though.

Jerry Kill & Co. was 29-29 at MN, 14-29 in the B1G West not counting Tracey Claeys 9-4 season. Imagine what it would have been like if they had a little better offense.

These are just my humble opinions.

I'll just say good for him, wish he had stayed, could've used him last year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Please, can we have more threads on Streveler?

Sarcasm aside, I don't need to hear about every CFL snap this kid takes. Is it Fall yet?

It's possible he never would have developed nearly as well even if he was given the opportunity at Minnesota. Players learn and develop differently, and it's possible South Dakota was just a better fit for him.

100% chance he Wouldn’t have developed as well at Minnesota

100% chance he Wouldn’t have developed as well at Minnesota

He would have become as good of a QB here as Moses Alipate did. My guess is he never would have seen another snap, game or practice, as a QB and I'm not sure if he would have seen any game action as WR. It was too bad he didn't have that success here, but good for him that he had it at SDSU.

"Streveler Proves Kill, Claeys Wrong"

Streveler may have started here last year if he didn't transfer because of Kill/Claeys

He is also making more money the most of us.

He is also making more money the most of us.

I very much doubt that. He's probably paid $50,000 or less based on what CFL players typically make.

Matthew Stafford by himself makes almost as much as every CFL player put together.

In a June 3, 2018 story in the Winnipeg Sun, Streveler said “…the amount that I learned in those two years, from those guys, it took my game to a level that I didn’t even know was there. If I hadn’t gone to South Dakota I wouldn’t have the opportunity to be here right now.”

That's interesting to me. Says a lot to me about the QB coaching with Coach Z...hate to rip the guy as he's forgotten more than I know about coaching than I do and I know he's dropped a lot in the coaching ranks but maybe that's part of the story right there. I know Nielson is a heck of a coach and maybe he and the staff was able to communicate to Chris so he got it? Sometimes it's how you deliver the message. Good luck to him and Woli! (Although Woli why could you not have been 6 inches further on that catch...you would have beaten Meatchicken and Captain Khakis!)

He was able to play a lot of games and throw a lot of passes in those games at USD. I think they run a chuck n' duck shotgun offense. When you throw the ball 30-40 times per game, times two years of starting every game (including playoffs) ... well yeah, you're going to get better. And with the lower level of play, he was able to have success, gain confidence, etc. It just would've never happened like that, at Minnesota. As other posters have said ...

He was able to play a lot of games and throw a lot of passes in those games at USD. I think they run a chuck n' duck shotgun offense. When you throw the ball 30-40 times per game, times two years of starting every game (including playoffs) ... well yeah, you're going to get better. And with the lower level of play, he was able to have success, gain confidence, etc. It just would've never happened like that, at Minnesota. As other posters have said ...

I’m fascinated when statements like this are made. Based on what? Every FBS QB is coming from a much, much lower level of competition in high school. Are they also destined to fail? Chris is playing professsional ball and doing quite well thus far.

I thought it was clear, that I was saying he would've never thrown the ball that much at Minnesota. Nor, in my opinion, would he have had as much success throwing the ball here, even if we did pass that much. It's my opinion, only. Not gospel...

And the CFL is actually quite similar to the FCS level of competition. They get a lot of guys from NCAA DII, some FCS, some NAIA, some Canadian college players.

Glad he is doing well there ...

serious question

do Twins fans go on and on about Big Papi leaving to become an HOF'er?

do Twins fans go on and on about Big Papi leaving to become an HOF'er?
Yes they do. Matt ****in Lecroy was apparently the better fit. As for Strev, I don't really remember any haters, if anything I think alot of people wondered why he never got to throw it when he got a chance. Tossed a nice TD in garbage time at TCU I remember.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I thought it was clear, that I was saying he would've never thrown the ball that much at Minnesota. Nor, in my opinion, would he have had as much success throwing the ball here, even if we did pass that much. It's my opinion, only. Not gospel...

And the CFL is actually quite similar to the FCS level of competition. They get a lot of guys from NCAA DII, some FCS, some NAIA, some Canadian college players.

Glad he is doing well there ...

Nonsense. I’d stop now.

I very much doubt that. He's probably paid $50,000 or less based on what CFL players typically make.

Matthew Stafford by himself makes almost as much as every CFL player put together.

This is true. Although successful QBs do alright, Matt Nichols is making about 300 000 (US). If Streveler is seen as a potential starter/ quality back-up, he will get 150-200K next year. Not NFL but not bad for June to November.

GophersinIowa--- are you the same person that was name dropped on the Gopher Pahdcast? In the last one they mentioned Iowagopher was doing the QB s of Gophers past write ups. If so, those are are great breakdowns of each QB. Nice work!

GophersinIowa--- are you the same person that was name dropped on the Gopher Pahdcast? In the last one they mentioned Iowagopher was doing the QB s of Gophers past write ups. If so, those are are great breakdowns of each QB. Nice work!

Not me unfortunately. I wish I was good enough to write stuff like that.

Average wage for American workers in Q4 2018 was ~$45k.
Are you saying Gopherholers make more money than the average American?

Winnipeg's QB returned.....so Streveler is back to being the backup. Also......Wolitarski hasn't had a catch today.

Often seen Gopherhole posters complain about Gophers “losing” kids to NDSU which is the same level of play and now when a kid who excelled at that level comes up folks discount the level of competition. Some folks want it both ways.

Talent evaluation and coaching of 18-22 year olds is tougher than people think.

Very highly doubt the first thing you claimed happens “often”, actually happens at all on GH.

Top Bottom