Departing Kaler will leave a legacy of many accomplishments in Gopher athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

The news Friday that University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler would step down July 1, 2019, a year ahead of his contract, was a big surprise for the school.

But Kaler’s eight-year tenure is a fairly common length of time to serve in such a demanding position. Of the 17 presidents to serve the university, nine will have served eight years or fewer.

Still, there’s no doubt that Kaler’s accomplishments are wide-ranging, and he has overseen drastic changes in the athletic department during turbulent times for the Gophers.

He spoke recently about the state of college athletics.

Kaler’s biggest role with athletics is as the chairman of the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, which is on the front line of the battle between the NCAA and NBA to figure out the best way to handle college eligibility and the NBA draft.

After 35 high school players were drafted between 1998 and 2005, the NBA and its players union agreed to implement an age limit of 19 to enter the draft. That had the effect of creating many one-and-done college freshmen, which has changed recruiting for the worse.

“I am pretty heavily involved in the NCAA conversations about basketball and our response to the Rice Commission report,” Kaler said. “... Not everything is under our control. To address the one-and-done phenomena does require the NBA and the NBA Players Association to agree to alter the conditions of their contract with regards to when they’ll draft players.

“The recommendation from the Rice Commission is to eliminate the one-and-done rule, and I believe that is very likely to happen.”

http://www.startribune.com/departin...complishments-in-gophers-athletics/488200801/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom