Who will be first 19 commit

Goph33

Reaction score
Anyone a little nervous for this 2019 class that there has only been a couple good players that seem like there’s a chance they come to the U? Having said that when and who do you think will be our first commit

I’ll say Tray Jackson or Austin Crowley as a couple out of state targets that seemed to be getting a fair amount of attention from the staff the past few days. Not sure if Nnaji or Hurt are even very close to committing anywhere, much less committing to the Gophers.

Crowley and Jackson seem to have most hype. I saw we didn’t even make cut for rocket watts. Not going to lie I miss Kimani for recruiting sake

Crowley and Jackson seem to have most hype. I saw we didn’t even make cut for rocket watts. Not going to lie I miss Kimani for recruiting sake
Besides Washington I think Kimani was overrated for recruiting and not sure what he brought to the table otherwise.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We were in on a million east coast guys with kimani but got how many? Hell any coach can be on a million guys but it doesn't matter unless they sign.

Dupree Mcbrayer, Isaiah Washington, Nate Mason, Kevin Dorsey(only he didn’t stay but would’ve been good but doesn’t count for kimani in my mind). You’re right then not as many impact guys as I thought but also is a little tougher to recruit out east than Home. Guys ben Johnson recruited were entire 18 class, Amir, and Jordan Murphy, Jarvis Johnson too

I think Pitino did great job with the 2 coaches he brought in though.

Besides Washington I think Kimani was overrated for recruiting and not sure what he brought to the table otherwise.

Kimani Young recruited Dupree McBrayer and Nate Mason as well. Getting Kevin Dorsey was also a sort of big deal at the time, starting our 2015 class with an out of state 4 star commit in June.

I agree with you. I think kimani did fine for trying to get east coast guys. Unfortunately, most likely we wont get east coast guys. Maybe a couple here and there. Yes it was great to have been Johnson as our instate guy. I know guys think the grass is always greener sometimes elsewhere but I'm a chicago guy who played baseball at the U and I absolutely loved it up there. I just wish more people would see this that live in minnesota. Stay home!

Ben Johnson was overrated, everyone respected him but he never built great relationships. Any of the instate 19s or 20s seriously considering Xavier? Sure dont seem like it. Anyway ill predict Sam Freeman to be the 1st commit for 19.

Yeah I don't think Hurt or Zeke are closer to deciding.
Crowley & Jackson would also be awesome to get an early nod from!
a nod from either of those 4 early in recruiting would go a long way to getting this class rolling!

but for the 1st commit I will also say Sam Freeman or Robert Jone

Dupree Mcbrayer, Isaiah Washington, Nate Mason, Kevin Dorsey(only he didn’t stay but would’ve been good but doesn’t count for kimani in my mind). You’re right then not as many impact guys as I thought but also is a little tougher to recruit out east than Home. Guys ben Johnson recruited were entire 18 class, Amir, and Jordan Murphy, Jarvis Johnson too
Wasn't McHale responsible for Nate Mason, thought he did most of the leg work for 2014?

Mcbrayer was at sunrise christian in ks when he was recruited by the gophers and i think Mchale was the lead recruiter for him. Could be wrong on that though.

Mcbrayer was at sunrise christian in ks when he was recruited by the gophers and i think Mchale was the lead recruiter for him. Could be wrong on that though.
I hope we get Crowley. 6'6" combo guard, could defend three positions. Could come into the rotation right away as a freshman. Is he transferring to Sunrise? Jackson seems intriging as well as a 3/4 type. Could be important if we miss on our remaining instate guys for front court depth.

To answer the initial question posed in the thread I'll go with Tray Jackson in September. Johnathan McGriff would be my second guess. But both are total guesses.

Not feeling good about Nnaji and just don't think we have a realistic shot at Hurt.

Is there anyone we're considered the front runners for at this point?

Is there anyone we're considered the front runners for at this point?

No one on 247. The only ones they have as "warm" on the Gophers are Tyson Etienne, Matthew Hurt, and Zeke Nnaji.

Etienne is a SG from New Jersey/New York and ranked #149 in the composite rankings. We offered him back in January, so I kind of wonder if Kimani was the main contact. 100% of the predictions on him are Seton Hall. The other main competitor for him is Cincinnati.
https://247sports.com/player/tyson-etienne-46043154

Hurt is ranked #6 in the composite rankings. He has 75% Kansas and 17% Minnesota. 247 lists UNC, Louisville, and Kentucky as the others he is "warm" on.
https://247sports.com/player/matthew-hurt-87062

Nnaji is ranked #28 overall and has 100% picking him to go to Wisconsin. It appears our other main competitors for him are Iowa, Ohio State, UCLA, and Xavier.
https://247sports.com/player/zeke-nnaji-46041762

Believe Tray Jackson from Sunrise Christian (#103 in 247 composite ranks) has said he will be taking a visit here in the late summer/fall. Oklahoma is the favorite to land him right now.

Given recent history, we can cross any top 50 Minnesota kids off of the list with certainty.

Yeah you can’t say top 50 MN players will leave. I’d say top 20. Who would’ve been last top 20...was either Royce White or Kris Humphries top 20?

No one on 247. The only ones they have as "warm" on the Gophers are Tyson Etienne, Matthew Hurt, and Zeke Nnaji.

Etienne is a SG from New Jersey/New York and ranked #149 in the composite rankings. We offered him back in January, so I kind of wonder if Kimani was the main contact. 100% of the predictions on him are Seton Hall. The other main competitor for him is Cincinnati.
https://247sports.com/player/tyson-etienne-46043154

Hurt is ranked #6 in the composite rankings. He has 75% Kansas and 17% Minnesota. 247 lists UNC, Louisville, and Kentucky as the others he is "warm" on.
https://247sports.com/player/matthew-hurt-87062

Nnaji is ranked #28 overall and has 100% picking him to go to Wisconsin. It appears our other main competitors for him are Iowa, Ohio State, UCLA, and Xavier.
https://247sports.com/player/zeke-nnaji-46041762

Believe Tray Jackson from Sunrise Christian (#103 in 247 composite ranks) has said he will be taking a visit here in the late summer/fall. Oklahoma is the favorite to land him right now.

Probably worth noting that there are only 3 crystal ball predictions for Nnaji and all of them are from early September of last year. Not sure he really has a favorite right now.

The thing with Reggie Lynch impacted the Gophers. The Gopher's season went down the toilet. The negative publicity didn't help either.

Probably worth noting that there are only 3 crystal ball predictions for Nnaji and all of them are from early September of last year. Not sure he really has a favorite right now.
And the Wisconsin guys are homers who think everyone they offer will go there

Top Bottom