Kaler stepping down?

Although I believe in hindsight it came out there were similar issues, albeit less over the top, with Teague at VCU.

While it appears he handled the situation that brought the whole thing down decisively there were reports that there were signs of trouble before he warned the nickname MegaTongue.

A background check should have alerted Kaler to the fact there were underlying issues. If he’d addressed the whole thing earlier in Teague’s tenure, several Women’s lives would not have been negatively impacted and the scandal would have been much smaller saving the U from one more embarrassment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be shocked if a background check was not performed before he was hired.

Maybe they didn't conduct a background check.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would think that is unlikely.

But also, what kind of background check are people talking about?

It's not like there is a magic "settled some **** quietly" background check.

I would think that is unlikely.

But also, what kind of background check are people talking about?

It's not like there is a magic "settled some **** quietly" background check.
I work in recruiting, I've worked in both staffing agencies and big companies. You're suppose to obviously run a background check, but I do have a previous employer that after I left got audited and it turned out they weren't always running background checks, or checking references. Course those were minor compared to double billing clients and paying off the account managers to look the other way. Needless to say alot of people went to federal pound me in the ass prision as they say in Office Space. Point is, there's a lot of greed in those environments and people will take short cuts if they think they can get away with it.

I work in recruiting, I've worked in both staffing agencies and big companies. You're suppose to obviously run a background check, but I do have a previous employer that after I left got audited and it turned out they weren't always running background checks, or checking references. Course those were minor compared to double billing clients and paying off the account managers to look the other way. Needless to say alot of people went to federal pound me in the ass prision as they say in Office Space. Point is, there's a lot of greed in those environments and people will take short cuts if they think they can get away with it.

Maybe, but the high priced search firms are kinda a different thing don't you think?

Plenty of room for fraud there too I don't doubt, but they also I don't think aren't 100% sure going find out "settled stuff quietly" kinda stuff.

Granted the U did call out their search firm at the time for sucking when they got that stupid IT guy buying iPads for his family and such.

I guess my whole point is if you hire those folks and you belive them, I can't blame them. What does the U do then? Hire two search firms?

Maybe, but the high priced search firms are kinda a different thing don't you think?

Plenty of room for fraud there too I don't doubt, but they also I don't think aren't 100% sure going find out "settled stuff quietly" kinda stuff.
That was a big firm, we had offices all over the country, most of the illegal stuff I was referring to happened in Arizona and California. We weren't placing Athletic Directors or CEO but I know some of my placements were making six figures a year, which was great for my spread. Point is I am sure they ran one on Teague, but it would not shock me if it ever came out that they didn't, filling a position could make someone's year. People lose their integrity all the time in the name of the almighty dollar.

Eh, I don't believe the next President is going to have much of an impact on the FB or MBB programs. One, we have a ton of outside money coming through the Big Ten Network to provide funding for our sports programs. Secondly, as far as hires are concerned, those decisions are primarily the job of the AD. In addition, the current head coaches for the MBB and FB programs are not exactly lighting it up, so the jury is still out on how well these hires really are. Third, the momentum from the new Athletes Village and emphasis on sports at the U is going to keep moving forward with the new President. I think the egg heads in the Admin have finally figured out that good sports programs are good for the U.

Good luck on that. The Board of Regents is picked by Dayton, who hates U of M athletics. Good frickin luck.

Good luck on that. The Board of Regents is picked by Dayton, who hates U of M athletics. Good frickin luck.

Mark Dayton? The same one who wanted to move all gopher football kickoffs until noon or later? Seems like a pro U of M football move to me.

Did Mark Dayton become the state legislature? I'd think that would've been on the news.

Look...

-- The University hired a search firm.
-- That search recruited the best applicant pool it could muster.
-- That search conducted a background check.
-- The firm survives on it reputation and thus had every incentive to do full and thorough vetting.
-- Teague slipped through. It happens.

And FYI: Regents are appointed by the MN State Legislature, not the governor.

I ran into a member of the Board Of Regents the other day. I asked about PJ Fleck, Mark Coyle, and Eric Kaler.

They are very excited about PJ Fleck and the future of Gopher Football. They are committed to the success of Gopher Athletics. Mark Coyle is highly regarded, and he has long ties to the area and the U. He does not have the public persona as PJ Fleck, but they are very pleased with his leadership.

They were deeply disappointed about the sex scandal and wanted to put that behind. This and the Mega Tongue fiasco/hiring was impetus to push for positive change. It was a learning moment and an eye opener.

Eric Kaler has done a lot of positive change not only in Gopher Athletics, but in the U as an institution. They are sad to see him go. The U fo M President role they see people possibly turning over every four years or so due to the enormous amount of stress that the job entails. It takes a special person to be able to handle that job effectively.

They want to make sure whoever is hired to replace Kaler back Gopher Sports one hundred percent. They are especially proud about the performance of the athletes both in their sports and in the classroom.

The view of the University Of Minnesota in the rest of the nation is positive.

The BOR is up for election again.

Ughh NO. All he'll try to do is slash budgets. That's one thing for politicians, but that is the antithesis of what a PRESIDENT of the university should be advocating for. He/she needs to be maximizing dollars flowing into the university!

Plus no one likes Tim. He failed as MN's gov, and he failed at running for potus. Just, NO!

Top Bottom