Kaler stepping down?

Who do you think hires the Athletic Director?

If we are judging a president based on AD hires, then Kaler was a complete disaster. Has there ever been a worse hire than Mega Tongue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are judging a president based on AD hires, then Kaler was a complete disaster. Has there ever been a worse hire than Mega Tongue?

Mega Tongue just came and went though. Did he do any serious damage?

Almost certainly. Furthermore, Teague was eminently qualified for the position at the time of his hire. On paper, it would be hard to imagine the U doing much better. That he later conducted himself horribly and displayed behavior for which he had shown no previous precedent doesn't reflect poorly on Kaler in any way. The behavior was brought to light and Kaler dealt with it swiftly and decisively.

Other than the botched handling of the sex scandal, I think he has done a remarkable job for Gopher Athletics and the U.

Let's hope the next Prez is equally enthusiastic about supporting athletics. I wish him well in his new post.
Agreed, he did a good job aside from football program sex scandel. Shame that incident clouds some of his tenure.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

No surprise here.

I never really had a problem with Kaler until the scandal. His handling of that situation makes me question his intelligence and/or his willingness to listen to other people. I have a hard time imagining someone who handled that situation so poorly would have been great at navigating other difficult situations. In my opinion, it was not only stupid, but it was incredibly dangerous for a person in his position.

I hope he has success elsewhere, but good riddance.

I think it's good he's announcing this early (don't know if that happened in the past?), as it allows for plenty of time for all the candidates who want to run for the position to state their case. Also allows the Regents to appoint the new president without feeling rushed (that's how it works, right?).

This is the century of the woman. The U needs to attract and hire the best female candidate available. It is time for a powerful prexyette to take the helm and run the University of Minnesota the way it needs to be run. It IS time. This is the century of the woman! The University of Minnesota needs to enter the 21ST Century by upgrading and renewing itself.

Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Almost certainly. Furthermore, Teague was eminently qualified for the position at the time of his hire. On paper, it would be hard to imagine the U doing much better. That he later conducted himself horribly and displayed behavior for which he had shown no previous precedent doesn't reflect poorly on Kaler in any way. The behavior was brought to light and Kaler dealt with it swiftly and decisively.

IIRC, Mega Tongue had a history of sexual harassment. Poor due diligence led to his hiring. That is on Kaler.

Regardless, I’m not saying Kaler was a bad president, but the U can certainly do better.

Although I believe in hindsight it came out there were similar issues, albeit less over the top, with Teague at VCU.

While it appears he handled the situation that brought the whole thing down decisively there were reports that there were signs of trouble before he warned the nickname MegaTongue.

A background check should have alerted Kaler to the fact there were underlying issues. If he’d addressed the whole thing earlier in Teague’s tenure, several Women’s lives would not have been negatively impacted and the scandal would have been much smaller saving the U from one more embarrassment.

IIRC, Mega Tongue had a history of sexual harassment. Poor due diligence led to his hiring. That is on Kaler.

Regardless, I’m not saying Kaler was a bad president, but the U can certainly do better.

Your memory is faulty. There was no history of sexual harassment. No amount of due diligence will uncover something that doesn't exist.

The only item of note was that a female coach he fired sued him for gender discrimination. He didn't fire her because of her gender, he fired her because she was bad at her job.

Although I believe in hindsight it came out there were similar issues, albeit less over the top, with Teague at VCU.

While it appears he handled the situation that brought the whole thing down decisively there were reports that there were signs of trouble before he warned the nickname MegaTongue.

A background check should have alerted Kaler to the fact there were underlying issues. If he’d addressed the whole thing earlier in Teague’s tenure, several Women’s lives would not have been negatively impacted and the scandal would have been much smaller saving the U from one more embarrassment.

Again, there was no history of prior issues. You're either misremembering or engineering new "facts" to fit your narrative. The only thing that could've given a clue to Teague's eventual behavior was a crystal ball.

I thought Kaler did a nice job, athletics is a very small part of a very big job. The U appears to be doing well and seems to have improved academically, in the endowment, and in research during his time here. When contrasted with medical research that can save people's lives or educating thousands of students, football is a very small concern of mine when judging how the president performed.

Just because you say something doesn’t make it true, stop trying to emulate the great pumpkin.
Teague had prior history at VCU. He just hide the info...

“History of behavior

The Star Tribune has reported that Teague’s behavior resulted in multiple complaints and dated back to at least 2012.

The U previously paid $175,000 in 2013 to settle a complaint by a former associate athletic director, Regina Sullivan, who accused Teague of gender discrimination when he fired her in October 2012.

Just months before, Teague’s previous employer, Virginia Commonwealth University, paid $125,000 to its former women’s basketball coach to settle another gender discrimination complaint — a fact officials said he failed to disclose during the recruitment process.

Other allegations emerged after his resignation. Star Tribune reporter Amelia Rayno disclosed in a first-person account that she, too, had been sexually harassed by Teague while covering the Gophers in 2013.

Days later, the U announced that “less than five” new accusers had stepped forward to file anonymous complaints.

Teague ended his three-year tenure at the U by saying that he had “entirely too much to drink” at the retreat and that his behavior did not reflect his true character. In response, Dady and Aronson challenged the implication that alcohol was to blame.

“Sexual harassment is a predatory act. Having too much to drink does not excuse it,” they said in a joint public statement in 2015. “It’s a problem that continues to plague our institutions and our working lives despite programs and training designed to suppress it. The only way to eliminate it is to call attention to it when you see it or experience it.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, there was no history of prior issues. You're either misremembering or engineering new "facts" to fit your narrative. The only thing that could've given a clue to Teague's eventual behavior was a crystal ball.

Again, there were multiple issues at VCU...

This is the century of the woman. The U needs to attract and hire the best female candidate available. It is time for a powerful prexyette to take the helm and run the University of Minnesota the way it needs to be run. It IS time. This is the century of the woman! The University of Minnesota needs to enter the 21ST Century by upgrading and renewing itself.

I didn't see that coming.
Good for you Wren.

Who do you think hires the Athletic Director?

I think it is more important about who hires the President, I assume it's the Board of Regents? I would think that would be a discussion in the hiring process concerning an candidates take on athletics.

I don't care who is hired, as long as it is not some pseudo intellectual with a beard and a pipe.

Most wins by a Gopher football team in first 7 years of tenure of any U of M President. So, we’ve never seen better results in FB when it comes to wins. But go ahead, make yer point. $160 million new facilities primarily for football and basketball, but you make great points! Hopefully we can get back to the miserable results of past presidents, and right then soon! [emoji23]

Athletics is maybe 2 percent of Kalers job. Hell I would give Norwood more credit for the facilities than kaler. Only thing you need from the president is to give the AD the necessary resources to do their job.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just because you say something doesn’t make it true, stop trying to emulate the great pumpkin.
Teague had prior history at VCU. He just hide the info...

“History of behavior

The Star Tribune has reported that Teague’s behavior resulted in multiple complaints and dated back to at least 2012.

The U previously paid $175,000 in 2013 to settle a complaint by a former associate athletic director, Regina Sullivan, who accused Teague of gender discrimination when he fired her in October 2012.

Just months before, Teague’s previous employer, Virginia Commonwealth University, paid $125,000 to its former women’s basketball coach to settle another gender discrimination complaint — a fact officials said he failed to disclose during the recruitment process.

Other allegations emerged after his resignation. Star Tribune reporter Amelia Rayno disclosed in a first-person account that she, too, had been sexually harassed by Teague while covering the Gophers in 2013.

Days later, the U announced that “less than five” new accusers had stepped forward to file anonymous complaints.

Teague ended his three-year tenure at the U by saying that he had “entirely too much to drink” at the retreat and that his behavior did not reflect his true character. In response, Dady and Aronson challenged the implication that alcohol was to blame.

“Sexual harassment is a predatory act. Having too much to drink does not excuse it,” they said in a joint public statement in 2015. “It’s a problem that continues to plague our institutions and our working lives despite programs and training designed to suppress it. The only way to eliminate it is to call attention to it when you see it or experience it.”

As I accurately stated, there was one prior incident at VCU, and it had nothing to do with sexual harassment. Everything else cited happened at the U. Kaler didn't think to consult his crystal ball to know that these things were going to happen in the future.

Kaler did a lot of great things for the University and I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to pursue next. 7 years is a long time to be in any one job these days and he's had a fairly successful tenure. Athletics distractions not withstanding.

While I didn't agree with everything he did, such as jacking up out of state tuition in favor of keeping in state tuition lower, there is no denying that the U's reputation as an academic institution improved under Kaler, and I hope that it will continue to do so going forward.

As I accurately stated, there was one prior incident at VCU, and it had nothing to do with sexual harassment. Everything else cited happened at the U. Kaler didn't think to consult his crystal ball to know that these things were going to happen in the future.

The point, ultimately, is that a good President can still make a AD bad hire. Also, unless the President is set to sabotage the athletics department, I trust that the new President can make a competent hire.

Yes, the President makes the call on the person to be hired as AD, but no matter how great the President is, there is no guarantee that s/he will hire a great AD. I think Kaler is proof of that.

Btw, I did appreciate Kaler’s support of the U’s athletics. It certainly was a breath of fresh air.

I apologize, I misread and thought there were more incidents at VCU. Also, even though the details are not available, it is inferred that is was a discrimination issue and not sexual harassment. But, the local newspapers also report that it was something that could have easily been discovered by checking the correct court records at the time of his hire.

Kaler did a lot of great things for the University and I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to pursue next. 7 years is a long time to be in any one job these days and he's had a fairly successful tenure. Athletics distractions not withstanding.

While I didn't agree with everything he did, such as jacking up out of state tuition in favor of keeping in state tuition lower, there is no denying that the U's reputation as an academic institution improved under Kaler, and I hope that it will continue to do so going forward.

Really? I’ve not seen a single intitution wide ranking showing the U improved during his tenure. They may be out there but most of what I’ve seen, I’d call treading water. Mostly down. But all less than 10 spots.

If what you say is true, it hasn’t been apparent.

Somewhere out there is a Donna Shalala.

Yes, thanks for reinforcing what I've said multiple times in this thread.

And for what I said. There were similar issues. Being sued and paying out $125k to a woman at your former employer would be:

1. A history of issues
2. Something a competent background check performed by a competent search firm would have turned up.
3. A serious red flag for any hire.

And for what I said. There were similar issues. Being sued and paying out $125k to a woman at your former employer would be:

1. A history of issues
2. Something a competent background check performed by a competent search firm would have turned up.
3. A serious red flag for any hire.

Gender discrimination and sexual harassment are not similar issues. In addition, the gender discrimination lawsuit was baseless. He fired a woman to hire...another woman. As tends to often happen, VCU paid to make it go away though it had no merit.

If being sued at a previous employer is a red flag, a lot of people would never be hired for any executive position. Almost everyone gets sued for something once they rise high enough in an organization. Particularly in this litigious society, you can sue anyone for just about anything. I could sue you for medical bills to repair the muscle pull I got laughing at your posts in this thread. It doesn't mean my suit has any merit.

Gender discrimination and sexual harassment are not similar issues. In addition, the gender discrimination lawsuit was baseless. He fired a woman to hire...another woman. As tends to often happen, VCU paid to make it go away though it had no merit.

If being sued at a previous employer is a red flag, a lot of people would ever be hired for any executive position. Almost everyone gets sued for something once they rise high enough in an organization. Particularly in this litigious society, you can sue anyone for just about anything. I could sue you for medical bills to repair the muscle pull I got laughing at your posts in this thread. It doesn't mean my suit has any merit.

Agree with you pretty much 100% on this one. The incident sited at VCU was beyond irrelevant to what his behavior was here. The only long shot is the fact Teague didn't report it may have spoken to his character (or lack thereof). But agree there was no way to know what Teague was going to do here.

Overall I think Kaler did a pretty good job and agree he will be missed.

Top Bottom