Kaler stepping down?

Anyone else hear this? Can’t confirm if true or not.

True. I can't imagine how many GHers will be jackin' it when they hear this news. They will need to pace themselves, though - he'll still be President for another 11.5 months.

when Kaler was hired, as I recall it, there was a lot of enthusiasm that he would be a stronger supporter of the athletic programs than Bruininks (or, Prexy B for Wren).

There's no guarantee the next president will be friendly toward athletics.

The feelings toward Kaler pretty much coincide with how people feel about the whole FB investigation and firing of Claeys. If you feel it was handled well, or worked out for the best in the end, you're probably fairly happy with Kaler. If you feel the whole matter was botched, then you're probably not a big fan of Kaler (and Coyle.)

I will just say this - even if you think Kaler is a stooge - a few years from now, you could be wishing for Kaler to return if the new president turns out to be less than friendly to athletics.

True. I can't imagine how many GHers will be jackin' it when they hear this news. They will need to pace themselves, though - he'll still be President for another 11.5 months.
All true. This will be longer than a Mark Coyle AD job at Syracuse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

when Kaler was hired, as I recall it, there was a lot of enthusiasm that he would be a stronger supporter of the athletic programs than Bruininks (or, Prexy B for Wren).

The feelings toward Kaler pretty much coincide with how people feel about the whole FB investigation and firing of Claeys. If you feel it was handled well, or worked out for the best in the end, you're probably fairly happy with Kaler. If you feel the whole matter was botched, then you're probably not a big fan of Kaler (and Coyle.)

I will just say this - even if you think Kaler is a stooge - a few years from now, you could be wishing for Kaler to return if the new president turns out to be less than friendly to athletics.

Seems to me that the U has realized finally that being successful in the major sports is good for people at the University that have no interest in sports or are even antagonistic toward sports.

Minnesotan's are going to miss Kaler for more than his support for athletics. His advocacy for the U with citizens and the state legislature has been stronger and more effective than any president since O. Meredith Wilson in the 1960's. Starting with Malcom Moos in 1967 the U was led for 30 years by a series of presidents who stood aside while the academic reputation of the school went in the tank and the football program was neglected. That finally started to change when Mark Yudof was hired in 1997. The U has come a long way since but its national ranking and reputation and the performance of the football team is still not where it should be.

Did he say, or is it known, why he’s stepping down? Family, health, retiring from profession, another opportunity?

University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler announces he will leave role at end of his eighth year in July 2019

Friday, July 13, 2018
Today I write to inform you of my decision to step down as President on July 1, 2019. My tenure already exceeds the national average. This is an incredibly demanding job, essentially seven days a week, evenings and nights included, and as proud and confident of my contributions and ability as I am, I also know that the University will benefit from a fresh perspective. Quite simply, it is time.

The University of Minnesota is a remarkable collection of people, ideas, and impact. It is also a center of deep emotional connection to our more than 580,000 living alumni and the more than 5 million people who call Minnesota home. Every day, we make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of students, patients and their families, businesses, communities, and beyond.

For more than seven years, I have worked to be worthy of our history and to meet the ambitions of this incredible institution. I have been humbled and honored by the trust placed in me as President of the University of Minnesota. Following my departure in July 2019, I plan to work as President Emeritus for one year to continue the momentum on our $4 billion Driven campaign. I look forward then to a sabbatical before assuming my faculty position in our spectacular Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science.
As your President, I am honored and privileged to lead an institution that directly affects the residents of the great State of Minnesota and people around the globe. Our healthcare breakthroughs are historic. Our science and technology, awe inspiring. Our commitment to the arts, breathtaking. And our core mission, teaching the next generation of leaders, absolutely incredible.

All students across our five system campuses receive our support so that they can achieve their own success, their own path to a brighter future. We are, and I am, incredibly proud of them, and of our faculty and staff who support them.

While higher education has been increasingly viewed with a critical eye, this institution remains a visible and important reminder of the success that the University provides for this state. During my presidency we held tuition increases systemwide to under the rate of inflation, all while cutting more than $90 million in expenses. We spun off more than 10 new businesses a year from the University, growing jobs and economic success based on our research and business prowess. Our philanthropic support has set new record levels and our commitment to this state, indeed to every county and city, remains strong with our public service and engagement winning national recognition. From Greater Minnesota to the Twin Cities, we are and remain a visible and constant reminder of the value of higher education in research, in education, and in service.

My wife, Karen, and I both thank you for your kindness, your friendship, and most of all, your contributions to this University. I know that whatever my legacy will be, it will include the proud phrase “The University of Minnesota.”

https://president.umn.edu/content/u...ounces-he-will-leave-role-end-his-eighth-year

I don't think we've had a President who was bigger on athletics for quite some time.

The next President might not value athletics as much as Kaler has and for that there is a reason to be worried.
Fortunately, Kaler brought us this far in regards to facilities and hires.

I thought Kaler has done a nice job. He really advocated for all sports, sometimes to a fault when he would shower things upon less revenue friendly sports at the expense of the big generators. Additionally he himself did not ever seem to overreact or cave to political pressure (say what you will about some of the ways things played out, but he did not just let a lynch mob kick kids out immediately like some demanded). Think he'll be missed. Hope they hit a homerun with the next hire, because it seems we're moving in the right direction and need to keep it as so.

Seems to me that the U has realized finally that being successful in the major sports is good for people at the University that have no interest in sports or are even antagonistic toward sports.

We can hope so. We will findout when they announce the replacement

Eh, I don't believe the next President is going to have much of an impact on the FB or MBB programs. One, we have a ton of outside money coming through the Big Ten Network to provide funding for our sports programs. Secondly, as far as hires are concerned, those decisions are primarily the job of the AD. In addition, the current head coaches for the MBB and FB programs are not exactly lighting it up, so the jury is still out on how well these hires really are. Third, the momentum from the new Athletes Village and emphasis on sports at the U is going to keep moving forward with the new President. I think the egg heads in the Admin have finally figured out that good sports programs are good for the U.

Other than the botched handling of the sex scandal, I think he has done a remarkable job for Gopher Athletics and the U.

Let's hope the next Prez is equally enthusiastic about supporting athletics. I wish him well in his new post.

Agreed, just because I don't like how a department handled things, doesn't mean I can't recognize Kaler seemed to be a good supporter of athletics. I hope the next guy is ...

How long until someone get's the scarf guy's opinion on all this?

I’m not sure why a rational person would have animosity towards a largely self-supporting athletic department and particularly towards the men’s revenue sports that pay the bills. That seems like a bygone era, before the massive media exposure given to top tier NCAA men’s teams (with the accompanying purported rise in overall donations and applications).

Yes, it’s possible they’ll hire an ideologue of some sort so wait and see...

Agreed, just because I don't like how a department handled things, doesn't mean I can't recognize Kaler seemed to be a good supporter of athletics. I hope the next guy is ...
I am with you. Mixed feelings on Kaler. I generally feel he supported athletics more than any of his predecessors but not a fan of how the U has handled the sexual assault situations in regards to men's athletics.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Kaler was a step forward for Gopher sports. I anticipate the next guy will be another step forward. That said, the U has the potential to be Ivy League quality in education and research. We should certainly attain and pass Wisconsin and Michigan in all departments. This is a great school that we all love. Winning sports and a necessary part. It is a huge job to be the President of the U, the U we deserve. Please contact the Regents early and often in these endeavor.

Eh, I don't believe the next President is going to have much of an impact on the FB or MBB programs. One, we have a ton of outside money coming through the Big Ten Network to provide funding for our sports programs. Secondly, as far as hires are concerned, those decisions are primarily the job of the AD. In addition, the current head coaches for the MBB and FB programs are not exactly lighting it up, so the jury is still out on how well these hires really are. Third, the momentum from the new Athletes Village and emphasis on sports at the U is going to keep moving forward with the new President. I think the egg heads in the Admin have finally figured out that good sports programs are good for the U.
How could we see worse results in FB and BB than we've seen under Kaler's watch? Scandal, sub-par teams and upheaval. Not really a good showing.

How could we see worse results in FB and BB than we've seen under Kaler's watch? Scandal, sub-par teams and upheaval. Not really a good showing.

Most wins by a Gopher football team in first 7 years of tenure of any U of M President. So, we’ve never seen better results in FB when it comes to wins. But go ahead, make yer point. $160 million new facilities primarily for football and basketball, but you make great points! Hopefully we can get back to the miserable results of past presidents, and right then soon! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who do you think hires the Athletic Director?

Great news. Kaler was disastrous. He should've been fired a few years ago. The Markingson cover up that he continued and the football scandal were inexcusable offenses. His treatment of sexual assault cases was another massive blunder.

Most wins by a Gopher football team in first 7 years of tenure of any U of M President. So, we’ve never seen better results in FB when it comes to wins. But go ahead, make yer point. $160 million new facilities primarily for football and basketball, but you make great points! Hopefully we can get back to the miserable results of past presidents, and right then soon! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just imagine how great we would have been...[emoji33]

Top Bottom