Sid: Fleck reacts to redshirt changes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Redshirt changes

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said the decision by the NCAA to allow redshirt football players to play in up to four games during the season might be one of the biggest rule changes of his life.

Fleck said he and his staff are figuring out how to best implement the new rule.

“I’ll be honest with you, I think it’s one of the most significant rule changes in probably the last 10 to 15 years in college football, because there is so much strategy now involved,” he said. “When do you play them? Who do you play them against? The timing is going to be everything. Who do you play and who do you not play? But I think the NCAA got it right this time just in terms of the health of the student-athletes.”

One benefit is that when starters are banged up late in the season, teams can have a redshirt player step in for a game and absorb some of the hits while giving another player time off.

“ Once you get to the end of the year and it’s nine to 10 games in and there’s guys that are beat up and still playing, it gives them a chance to maybe take a few hits off of themselves and give it to somebody else that can withstand it or have it happen at a young age and get their feet wet,” Fleck said. “It provides a ton of depth.”

Fans might notice that teams use more of their redshirts at home because the NCAA hasn’t changed football travel rules, so teams still only can bring a certain number of players for road games.

“You might see more guys playing at home games than away games just because of the travel rule at different times. It’ll be interesting. It’s all strategy. I have thought about it a lot,” Fleck said. “We will continue to think about it throughout the entire year. We have so much youth and so much inexperience that it will be interesting to see how much we use of it and who we use it with.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-amir-coffey-still-working-his-way-back/488072261/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom