Two Louisville players want name on Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Louisville plays its home games at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, but players are pushing for a name change.

In the fallout of the resignation of John Schnatter, the founder and chairman of Papa John's Pizza from the school's Board of Trustees, wide receivers Jaylen Smith and Seth Dawkins expressed their desire to take the Papa John's name down from Louisville's stadium.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ame-on-papa-johns-cardinal-stadium-to-change/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe if the players come up with 1 or 2 million a year they can change the name.

Unfortunately were getting a new normal in the last year or so that I don't agree with.

Considering it’s in the contract that runs through 2040, probs don’t see this one happening

Unfortunately were getting a new normal in the last year or so that I don't agree with.

Yes, the openly blatant racism and hatred is getting out of hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only two? What's wrong with the rest of the players?

Maybe if the players come up with 1 or 2 million a year they can change the name.

Ya, God knows why two black players would react to that POS Papa John. Not the first time he's used racist language.

Didn't the guy resign? So the players are assuming everyone else at Papa John's is racist? Not really fair to assume that.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Apparently he was against the kneel down thing with the NFL and from CBS..

"On the May call, Schnatter reportedly said the N-word while complaining that a legendary fast-food chain founder had used the word in the past without being subjected to public backlash. He also reflected on his childhood in Indiana, saying people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died, according to Forbes."

I'm not sure I understand if he was talking about the other fast food person using the racial slur or he used it and then referenced that person. I also do t know if it was John saying the terrible past in Indiana or the other fast food guy. Also he's 30% owner of Papa Johns so another posters comment about not all Papa Johns people being racist or at least prejudiced would appear to be accurate.

So is there any truth to what he mentioned about Col. Sanders? Because their basketball arena's naming rights belong to KFC.

I'm getting really tired of outrage and backlash.

Somebody said something stupid. tomorrow, somebody else will say something stupid. the day after that, somebody else will say something stupid. lather,rinse and repeat.

maybe I'm just old and jaded, but I just can't get outraged over every time somebody says something stupid. The Pizza guy said something stupid. you can acknowledge that without having to turn it into a national obsession.

So, no - I see no need to remove the Papa John's name from a football stadium. Unless the school agrees to negate the contract for naming rights, and returns the money. then, they can call it "Politically Correct Stadium" for all I care.

U of Louisville dropped the name today. The deal was with "Papa John himself and not the company

If he left the company, which he did, they had the right to drop the name

Apparently he was against the kneel down thing with the NFL and from CBS..

"On the May call, Schnatter reportedly said the N-word while complaining that a legendary fast-food chain founder had used the word in the past without being subjected to public backlash. He also reflected on his childhood in Indiana, saying people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died, according to Forbes."

I'm not sure I understand if he was talking about the other fast food person using the racial slur or he used it and then referenced that person. I also do t know if it was John saying the terrible past in Indiana or the other fast food guy. Also he's 30% owner of Papa Johns so another posters comment about not all Papa Johns people being racist or at least prejudiced would appear to be accurate.

He was complaining about Col Sanders using the word and not getting backlash. While he felt the backlash for his saying NFL anthem protests hurt sales was not out of line (not racist).

What people have said is racist, appears to be that John Schnatter said the word out loud, instead of using the term "N word," while referring to Col Sanders usage.

from the Huffpost:
"Fast forward to the May conference call, and Schnatter’s comments got substantially worse. After asking how he could distance himself from the racist groups that rallied in support of him online, Schnatter complained that Colonel Sanders of KFC fame never got public backlash for his remarks."

You can find the quote reprinted in this article.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/papa-johns-john-schnatter-allegedly-used-n-word-on-conference-call_us_5b461e66e4b048036ea4dbbe

U of Louisville dropped the name today. The deal was with "Papa John himself and not the company

If he left the company, which he did, they had the right to drop the name

my understanding is though, that he can rename it as he sees fit. It wasn't with Papa John and the pizza company but just the man himself. So he should still own naming rights unless it is underwritten oddly

Somebody said something stupid. tomorrow, somebody else will say something stupid. the day after that, somebody else will say something stupid. lather,rinse and repeat.

maybe I'm just old and jaded, but I just can't get outraged over every time somebody says something stupid. The Pizza guy said something stupid. you can acknowledge that without having to turn it into a national obsession.

I agree with you SON. People like to get outraged at things and raise their pitchforks.

If anyone thinks otherwise go look at the "Political/Off topic section on Gopherhole.

It can be really bad for your heath to get worked up all the time. High blood pressure and heart problems. Better off just letting go of things you cant control. Do dont sweat the small stuff or get in political arguments with people whos minds are already made up! #TheMoreYouKnow

my understanding is though, that he can rename it as he sees fit. It wasn't with Papa John and the pizza company but just the man himself. So he should still own naming rights unless it is underwritten oddly

You might be right idk. The linked article says that Louisville has a right to drop the name if he ever left the company. Thats how I read it but not sure i guess

I agree with you SON. People like to get outraged at things and raise their pitchforks.

If anyone thinks otherwise go look at the "Political/Off topic section on Gopherhole.

It can be really bad for your heath to get worked up all the time. High blood pressure and heart problems. Better off just letting go of things you cant control. Do dont sweat the small stuff or get in political arguments with people whos minds are already made up! #TheMoreYouKnow

How about this being a Headline:

"Two Gopherhole posters agree with one another"!

Didn't the guy resign? So the players are assuming everyone else at Papa John's is racist? Not really fair to assume that.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

When you attach the entire company to the image of its founder, you suffer the consequences when something like this happens.

He was complaining about Col Sanders using the word and not getting backlash. While he felt the backlash for his saying NFL anthem protests hurt sales was not out of line (not racist).

What people have said is racist, appears to be that John Schnatter said the word out loud, instead of using the term "N word," while referring to Col Sanders usage.

from the Huffpost:
"Fast forward to the May conference call, and Schnatter’s comments got substantially worse. After asking how he could distance himself from the racist groups that rallied in support of him online, Schnatter complained that Colonel Sanders of KFC fame never got public backlash for his remarks."

You can find the quote reprinted in this article.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/papa-johns-john-schnatter-allegedly-used-n-word-on-conference-call_us_5b461e66e4b048036ea4dbbe

Context is key. I wouldn't say his comment alone was racist. Maybe more like insensitive. Should know that saying the complete word isn't going to go over well. People calling for a boycott of Papa John's. I'd understand it if he was still working there but he stepped down. Boycotts usually hurt many of the innocent people that work for the company.

You might be right idk. The linked article says that Louisville has a right to drop the name if he ever left the company. Thats how I read it but not sure i guess

per the now updated espn article:

The naming rights deal for the football stadium is unique because the school's deal is with Schnatter, not the Papa John's brand. The deal provides that if he leaves the company, Schnatter can rename the building. His current deal with the university runs through 2040.

So, no - I see no need to remove the Papa John's name from a football stadium. Unless the school agrees to negate the contract for naming rights, and returns the money. then, they can call it "Politically Correct Stadium" for all I care.

Stupid and racist are two different scenarios. If a guy is comfortable saying that word in a professional setting (think to yourself if you'd ever do it), it's pretty obvious what his worldview is. The man is a Racist...he made a choice on language, and he deserves every consequence that comes along with it. 1st amendment keeps you out of jail - nothing else. He is a horrible person - but most knew that long ago.

Stupid and racist are two different scenarios. If a guy is comfortable saying that word in a professional setting (think to yourself if you'd ever do it), it's pretty obvious what his worldview is. The man is a Racist...he made a choice on language, and he deserves every consequence that comes along with it. 1st amendment keeps you out of jail - nothing else. He is a horrible person - but most knew that long ago.

I mean I guess I didn't know that, but I don't follow most popular culture aka this kind of crap. Is something that he has a track record of or is well-established?

Top Bottom