Two Louisville players want name on Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to change

No the kneeling wasn’t idiotic, it was meant to make a point and yet be respectful. It was Trump that took it out of context and misrepresented the meaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, sticking your thumb in someone’s eye is not a good way to persuade. You and your ilk are too dense to understand this simple reality.

Keep on deflecting buddy. Edit: Those that choose to focus on irrelevant details such as what Kapernick says, wears or does don’t really care about finding a solution or argue for argument’s sake because they have nothing better to do with their day. My response and Kaepernick’s antics have nothing to do with the actual wrongdoing. Focusing on those things do nothing to help the grave consequences for some and our inactivity is leading to those things continuing on. So if you want to focus on my “inability” to produce further racially insensitive comments go right ahead but know you are enabling by doing so.

Deflecting what? I asked you to provide evidence of racism and you brought something up about protests hurting business yadda yadda. I don’t think racism means what you think it means. Contain your comments and I won’t call you out on it.

I don't know how much history you have read, but the fringe right in this country has been around a lot longer than the fringe left.

My post was directed at someone that stated that white supremacist groups were growing by leaps and bounds. Maybe that’s true but I haven’t seen any good evidence other than anecdotal stories. These types of groups have been present on both sides going back a long time. It is you that need to read up on history. The weather underground and related were very extreme - “google it” as our compatriot said. I would discriminate white supremacist groups from conservative groups although I understand that’s not how many leftists look at it.

And, if you don’t think the rise of the far left and their propaganda has contributed to said far right backlash and their propaganda and the rise of Trump (and why we may see a second term despite all of his serious personal and policy shortcomings I would disagree.

My post was directed at someone that stated that white supremacist groups were growing by leaps and bounds. Maybe that’s true but I haven’t seen any good evidence other than anecdotal stories. These types of groups have been present on both sides going back a long time. It is you that need to read up on history. The weather underground and related were very extreme - “google it” as our compatriot said. I would discriminate white supremacist groups from conservative groups although I understand that’s not how many leftists look at it.

And, if you don’t think the rise of the far left and their propaganda has contributed to said far right backlash and their propaganda and the rise of Trump (and why we may see a second term despite all of his serious personal and policy shortcomings I would disagree.

You know, I actually agree with some of what you said. I don't know that they have grown, I think it's more that hate groups have dormancy.

Regarding Papa John's, I think the players would be better off applying to the NCAA to see if they can transfer out without losing a year.

You know, I actually agree with some of what you said. I don't know that they have grown, I think it's more that hate groups have dormancy.

Regarding Papa John's, I think the players would be better off applying to the NCAA to see if they can transfer out without losing a year.

What did I miss - why would they transfer?

No the kneeling wasn’t idiotic, it was meant to make a point and yet be respectful. It was Trump that took it out of context and misrepresented the meaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are wasting your time. I agree that Trump took it out of context for political gain. The reason I am saying that you are wasting your time is some of us will choose not to see that some protests are a peaceful way of trying to invoke change. An attempt to right a wrong.

I'm talking about the 19th century and the establishment of the Klan and the implementation of Jim Crow after the Compromise of 1876, which predates the Weather Underground by about a century. You probably weren't even alive during the era of the Weather Underground. I was.

You are wasting your time. I agree that Trump took it out of context for political gain. The reason I am saying that you are wasting your time is some of us will choose not to see that some protests are a peaceful way of trying to invoke change. An attempt to right a wrong.

It’s an attempt to inflame and red meat for the far left, nothing more.

Based on opinion polls a majority of America disagrees with Kaep and if his personal politics were more widely known that number would go even higher. Most people support the police as a whole, despite the many bad apples and instances of culture rot. Ironically those cities that “stood down” their aggressive tactics saw a rise in murders and the citizenry is criticizing the police for not doing more - can’t have it both ways. Crime rates had been falling for decades.

And, now that long-called for (and very good idea) body cams are commonplace and criminals are found to be lying about their traffic stops, altercations with police they are now campaigning against them. Can’t make it up.

I'm talking about the 19th century and the establishment of the Klan and the implementation of Jim Crow after the Compromise of 1876, which predates the Weather Underground by about a century. You probably weren't even alive during the era of the Weather Underground. I was.

I’m talking about 2018. Fine, will allow the KKK was established in the 19th century. I simply don’t understand the point of the statement when it’s well established there are radical elements; white, black left, right, in 2018. What happened in the 1800s is fringe at best. And yes, I was alive during that era. Another curious statement.

I could have sworn I was on the football board but now I'm thinking I'm on a different board. All I know that it seems like when something happens the left get blamed for everything.

I could have sworn I was on the football board but now I'm thinking I'm on a different board. All I know that it seems like when something happens the left get blamed for everything.

Then join the pragmatic middle with the rest of us?

there is a place called Off Topic board. i went there for the 1st time a day or 2 ago. full blown goofballs....makes me wonder with whom I am discussing my favorite college sports teams.

Then join the pragmatic middle with the rest of us?

Depends upon what your views of the middle is. On another note, I've been to the Off Topic board. Pretty bizarre over there. Many angry people around. I'll try to remember not to click on this thread again. Pretty bizarre also.

I don't know how much history you have read, but the fringe right in this country has been around a lot longer than the fringe left.

Perhaps, but that doesn’t make the fringe left any better than the fringe right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends upon what your views of the middle is. On another note, I've been to the Off Topic board. Pretty bizarre over there. Many angry people around. I'll try to remember not to click on this thread again. Pretty bizarre also.

I think there are a good many reasonable Gopher fans in the middle. A middle that wants to see all people treated decently. Remember a lot of the student athletes that we cheer for on Saturdays aren’t always treated fairly by the educational and justice systems.
Minnesota has a history of being a place with progressive politics and at least saying we are doing the right thing (our state’s achievement gap needs a lot of work).
I would like to think that Gopher football fans in general are a little more progressive/moderate than SEC or even some other Big Ten programs.

There was talk of players protesting the current name on Papa John's stadium. IMHO, though maybe a little over the top, the Louisville's Board of Regents would be moved much more if players just left.

per the now updated espn article:

The naming rights deal for the football stadium is unique because the school's deal is with Schnatter, not the Papa John's brand. The deal provides that if he leaves the company, Schnatter can rename the building. His current deal with the university runs through 2040.

So, if I'm reading all this right, Schnatter can now choose whatever he wants as the name for the stadium. This could really backfire on Louisville.

So, if I'm reading all this right, Schnatter can now choose whatever he wants as the name for the stadium. This could really backfire on Louisville.

that's how I read it. Will be really interesting to see what he selects if so. Otherwise maybe he takes a buyout on the deal.

There was talk of players protesting the current name on Papa John's stadium. IMHO, though maybe a little over the top, the Louisville's Board of Regents would be moved much more if players just left.

I get it. Playing at a stadium named for a dude who makes racist remarks about people like you.... that's no fun.

Got to think the school negotiates out of the deal through arguing a breach of morals clause, expressed or implied.

Got to think the school negotiates out of the deal through arguing a breach of morals clause, expressed or implied.

Even if not, I suspect they would rather take a stand, if they get less money, whatever.

Being tied to that dude would just be endless flack.

Even if not, I suspect they would rather take a stand, if they get less money, whatever.

Being tied to that dude would just be endless flack.
It'll blow over in a week. People will still order Papa John's and no one in a year will even remember this story. Another "moral outrage" is just around the corner.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It'll blow over in a week. People will still order Papa John's and no one in a year will even remember this story. Another "moral outrage" is just around the corner.

People will order Pappa Johns because they like bad pizza, but for the university it will not end.

that's how I read it. Will be really interesting to see what he selects if so. Otherwise maybe he takes a buyout on the deal.

The way I read it is that it's just going to be Cardinal Stadium. Schnatter supported the change, saying he didn't want to be a distraction (a bit late for that, IMO).

Well, perhaps if they learn how to make pizza...

And the story isn’t over. Papa John gets evicted from his office
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/16/papa-johns-further-distances-itself-from-founder.html

The popcorn continues....

KAcUVdq.gif

Top Bottom