Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Thanks. MPSF and Big West also have very strong teams. I know Loyola has a nice program there in Chicago, and IL has some high school boy's vball talent. But I think Wisc does too ... so hope maybe the Badgers will get on board eventually.

Everyone has their own agenda, of course. You've go lacrosse ramping up participation as well. And Minnesota is one of five Big Ten programs without a varsity men's soccer team.

Granted, Minnesota (and Wisconsin) are saddled with the cost of women's hockey. Not that I'm advocating for it to drop. Not at all. But it is costly.
    Perhaps the greatest fan, student and alumni interest in additional men's sports would be 1. soccer, 2. volleyball, and 3. lacrosse. My rankings, sorry. Supply your own and i'll support 'em. To balance these maybe women's field hockey or ?? It looks as if there may be practical limits to one additional sports team per gender. Men's Soccer and Women's Field Hockey are both B1G and are allowed similar NCAA D1 scholarships (9.9 full for soccer, 12 full for field hockey). Facilities may be available for both men's soccer (ELR, TCF with Mn United FC moving out?) and women's field hockey (ELR as noted earlier in this thread).

Men's soccer probably has the best chance of breaking even. Hopefully the AD budget surplus discussed last spring is real enough to get the U into the 21st century with full soccer (M & W). Consider the MUFC & their new Allianz stadium, the many HS & club M&W players and parents, MN players going out of State, etc. For W Field Hockey, we must keep up with Iowa and it is an excellent opportunity to get one up on Wisc. Nuff said.
    Last edited by happygophersgolucky; 10-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.

I think Men's and Women's Lacrosse would be high on the list. Possible we'd consider field hockey as well...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala