Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In the future, Gophers Men's volleyball (varsity) ?

I don't have a link to a story about this, it's purely speculation/for fun.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on if/when the Gophers will have a varsity men's vball team? How about the Big Ten officiall sponsoring it? I know Ohio St and Penn St have them. Would think it could work at places like Wisconsin and Nebraska too. Maybe Michigans?

Boy's high school vball is starting to ramp up. Maybe in 5-10 years we could be as loaded in the men's sport as the girl's/women's ...

I don't see it happening; but who knows? There are currently 42 men's teams at the I and II level playing for the National Championship.

Ohio State is in the MIVA conference which includes
    Ball State
    Loyola Chicago
    Lewis
    Fort Wayne
    Mckendree
    Lindenwood
    Quincy

Penn State competes in the EIVA which includes:
    George Mason
    Harvard
    Princeton
    Charleston W. VA.
    NJIT
    St. Francis
    Sacred Heart.

Another men's sport? We already have a woman's rowing team we rarely ever hear about except that it costs us money to make up for the lack of numbers. That means we would get another woman's team that doesn't mean anything either and cost us more money yet.

People make fun of Wisconsin for not having a baseball team. Eliminates a lot of expenses (figure the baseball team and then a woman's team to make up for the difference).

ILH, why don't you see it happening, even 10+ years from now??

#2Goph, we could add women's beach volleyball team! Another one would be women's lacrosse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    I don't see it happening; but who knows? There are currently 42 men's teams at the I and II level playing for the National Championship.

Ohio State is in the MIVA conference which includes
    Ball State
    Loyola Chicago
    Lewis
    Fort Wayne
    Mckendree
    Lindenwood
    Quincy

Penn State competes in the EIVA which includes:
    George Mason
    Harvard
    Princeton
    Charleston W. VA.
    NJIT
    St. Francis
    Sacred Heart.
    Thanks. MPSF and Big West also have very strong teams. I know Loyola has a nice program there in Chicago, and IL has some high school boy's vball talent. But I think Wisc does too ... so hope maybe the Badgers will get on board eventually.

Everyone has their own agenda, of course. You've go lacrosse ramping up participation as well. And Minnesota is one of five Big Ten programs without a varsity men's soccer team.

Granted, Minnesota (and Wisconsin) are saddled with the cost of women's hockey. Not that I'm advocating for it to drop. Not at all. But it is costly.

The obstacle is money. If there were a big donor who wanted men's volleyball, it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentRampage View Post
    The obstacle is money. If there were a big donor who wanted men's volleyball, it could happen.
    You'd have to drop one men's team to add another one, and if you added one it'd probably be lacrosse or soccer before volleyball.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    You'd have to drop one men's team to add another one, and if you added one it'd probably be lacrosse or soccer before volleyball.
    Are you talking about Title IX, or you talking about cost?

Because I'd say, why not add all three? And then add a corresponding number of women's sports to balance it, as required. Ohio State and Penn State have all of those men's varsity sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Are you talking about Title IX, or you talking about cost?

Because I'd say, why not add all three? And then add a corresponding number of women's sports to balance it, as required. Ohio State and Penn State have all of those men's varsity sports.
    Ohio St & Penn St also draw 100K/game in football. It's all about $$$$. They have it.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Well, if fans supported it the same as they do the women’s team, and if it was a restricted expenses sport (scholarships, coaching salary, recruiting budget, travel, etc), I think it could actually run in the black ...

Ok anyway, I tried. I’ll shut up about it

Well, if fans supported it the same as they do the women’s team, and if it was a restricted expenses sport (scholarships, coaching salary, recruiting budget, travel, etc), I think it could actually run in the black ...

Ok anyway, I tried. I’ll shut up about it
    With an air-conditioned Maturi Pavilion starting in 2019, the men might be able to draw a good crowd. I wouldn't go into The Pav for a spring sport without AC.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

We should have men's lacrosse or men's soccer before this. We have good high school talent in both and good club teams, those programs could get good real fast

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    We should have men's lacrosse or men's soccer before this. We have good high school talent in both and good club teams, those programs could get good real fast
    Let's get all three!

Agree that we do have good talents in those. And I think our boy's vball talents will grow very fast once the ball gets rolling ... our state produces a lot of high level girl's vball talent, relative to population. The coaching, and interest in the sport is there.

And all three would be relatively low cost sports ... already have a soccer stadium and vball arena. Lacrosse can play on the soccer field, with slightly different lines. Just need uniforms and a bit of equipment ... but relatively to other sports, it's peanuts.

Oh well, a guy can dream ...

Let's get all three!

Agree that we do have good talents in those. And I think our boy's vball talents will grow very fast once the ball gets rolling ... our state produces a lot of high level girl's vball talent, relative to population. The coaching, and interest in the sport is there.

And all three would be relatively low cost sports ... already have a soccer stadium and vball arena. Lacrosse can play on the soccer field, with slightly different lines. Just need uniforms and a bit of equipment ... but relatively to other sports, it's peanuts.

Oh well, a guy can dream ...
    Lacrosse could probably play at the athletes village or wherever they play now

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think Lacrosse is closer than Soccer. 6 B1G teams already (including John Hopkins). Maryland, Ohio State, John Hopkins are perennial power houses, Penn State in that discussion as well. National TV contracts for Lacrosse already exist and air time is pretty high nearly equivalent to college baseball. I don't know if I have ever seen a televised college level soccer game. Seasonally opposite to football so can be played in the same stadium without overlap. Which means TV set ups are already in place.