STrib: Mark Coyle sums up Gophers' progress to Board of Regents

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Blount:

Coyle submitted his annual report at a meeting of the Board of Regents at the U’s McNamara Alumni Center. He outlined progress made toward his three principal goals — accountability, consistency in leadership and creating strong campus relationships — as well as a record-breaking season of fundraising and academic achievement. Coyle also announced a budget of $121 million for the upcoming fiscal year.

The report was well-received by regents, including Chairman David McMillan, who called it “very inspiring’’ and lauded the Gophers’ “tremendous set of achievements.’’ Regent Dean Johnson, a champion of Gophers sports who was frustrated by the misconduct and scandals of the past, praised Coyle’s leadership in shepherding the department to higher ground.

“You and your team have done absolutely stellar work on behalf of the University of Minnesota,’’ Johnson said. “All the statistics, all the trend lines are moving in an extremely positive position.’’

http://www.startribune.com/mark-coyle-sums-up-gophers-progress-to-board-of-regents/487958101/

Go Gophers!!

“You and your team have done absolutely stellar work on behalf of the University of Minnesota,’’ Johnson said. “All the statistics, all the trend lines are moving in an extremely positive position.’’
!!

I’m as much of a homer as anyone, but this is a strange quote. The two statistics that matter the most — far and away — are the number of wins in football and the number of wins in men’s BB, and neither of them trended positively last year.

Obviously there are other underlying data points that indicate more positive outcomes on the horizon, but the Chair‘s quote is still just wrong.

I’m as much of a homer as anyone, but this is a strange quote. The two statistics that matter the most — far and away — are the number of wins in football and the number of wins in men’s BB, and neither of them trended positively last year.

Obviously there are other underlying data points that indicate more positive outcomes on the horizon, but the Chair‘s quote is still just wrong.

To mention that Mens hockey attendance continues to plummet and overall interest in gophers sports seems to be quite low

You need to broaden your horizons. There are quite a few more sports than just football and basketball. The U is ranked fourth in the B1G in the Learfield Sports Directors Cup over the last 10 years.
They are also ranked 23rd in the most dominant academic and athletic schools:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunte...e-academically-and-athletically/#7e6d204b7c3d

And ranked 23 in the overall athletic success in the P5:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-65-power-five-schools-slideshow-wp-191443165.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The are two statistics that matter the most to the Board of Regents when it comes to the athletic department are $$$$$ and number of arrests.

Top Bottom