STrib: Mark Coyle sums up Gophers' progress to Board of Regents

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Blount:

Coyle submitted his annual report at a meeting of the Board of Regents at the U’s McNamara Alumni Center. He outlined progress made toward his three principal goals — accountability, consistency in leadership and creating strong campus relationships — as well as a record-breaking season of fundraising and academic achievement. Coyle also announced a budget of $121 million for the upcoming fiscal year.

The report was well-received by regents, including Chairman David McMillan, who called it “very inspiring’’ and lauded the Gophers’ “tremendous set of achievements.’’ Regent Dean Johnson, a champion of Gophers sports who was frustrated by the misconduct and scandals of the past, praised Coyle’s leadership in shepherding the department to higher ground.

“You and your team have done absolutely stellar work on behalf of the University of Minnesota,’’ Johnson said. “All the statistics, all the trend lines are moving in an extremely positive position.’’

http://www.startribune.com/mark-coyle-sums-up-gophers-progress-to-board-of-regents/487958101/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like his firing is imminent, no?

Lordy, lordy. We are due for a new scandal aren't we?

I'm sure the report wasn't all that impressive, but Coyle was probably able to sell it as better than it was due to his slick, polished style and eloquent speaking manner.

Yay for fundraising and such, those are pretty tractable things.

accountability, consistency in leadership and creating strong campus relationships

Those are the things everyone tosses out and you never know if it means anything, like folks tossing around patriotic platitudes, the politician who is big on keeping reasonable levels of spending, and other things..... you just never know what it really means to them or what they really do....

Then there is the situation where you could really be throwing down the accountability hammer and have a couple kids choose to do dumb things anyway and you can't stop that....

Or you could be doing nothing about accountability and some kids just never get caught so you look golden...

It's a weird thing.

I'm sure the report wasn't all that impressive, but Coyle was probably able to sell it as better than it was due to his slick, polished style and eloquent speaking manner.

I know it's partly a PR song and dance; but, matter of fact, parts of it were pretty impressive. Of course, you'd actually have to believe that academics are important.

"Gophers athletes earned a collective grade-point average of 3.24 during the spring semester, equaling the highest in the department’s history, and every sport recorded a team GPA of at least 3.00. It marked the ninth consecutive semester in which the overall GPA was 3.20 or higher.

The Gophers also set a school record with 351 academic All-Big Ten honors last school year. The department’s graduation success rate of 92 percent was its best ever and the highest of any public school in the Big Ten. During the 2017-18 school year, Gophers athletes earned 10 academic All-America honors and 23 academic all-district citations, the second-highest numbers in U history."

As an AD, if he increased fundraising significantly and such.... that's probabbly an easy A for this round. I'm not a fan of Coyle for a number of reasons, but none of those reasons are things you'd dock someone on for say a yearly report or something.

In the meantime the regents no matter what they think should also give him a verbal high five too. Publicly whoever the dude is you gotta support him 100% unless you have a good reason not to. Same goes with Coyle and his coaches.

The Pioneer Press gave a more informative article although neither linked to the report itself which is unfortunate. They stated the athletes now receive 7.5 hours of sexual assault education instead of 4 as previous, which was “clearly inadequate” per the president of the university (prior to the accused players hearing).

Here is the 2017 report with a lot of good information. Per the 2018 report football netted about $42 million.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2018/1/30/_minn_genrel_2017_18_misc_non_event__2017NCAAReport.pdf

As an AD, if he increased fundraising significantly and such.... that's probabbly an easy A for this round. I'm not a fan of Coyle for a number of reasons, but none of those reasons are things you'd dock someone on for say a yearly report or something.

In the meantime the regents no matter what they think should also give him a verbal high five too. Publicly whoever the dude is you gotta support him 100% unless you have a good reason not to. Same goes with Coyle and his coaches.

How much was raised during the past year vs the prior year(s)? Serious question. It seems like the athlete village has been stuck around 100 million for a long time, as in in several years. Have any large gifts (not sponsorships) been announced? They didn’t really break down any numbers (not surprising).

per Blount:

Coyle submitted his annual report at a meeting of the Board of Regents at the U’s McNamara Alumni Center. He outlined progress made toward his three principal goals — accountability, consistency in leadership and creating strong campus relationships — as well as a record-breaking season of fundraising and academic achievement. Coyle also announced a budget of $121 million for the upcoming fiscal year.

The report was well-received by regents, including Chairman David McMillan, who called it “very inspiring’’ and lauded the Gophers’ “tremendous set of achievements.’’ Regent Dean Johnson, a champion of Gophers sports who was frustrated by the misconduct and scandals of the past, praised Coyle’s leadership in shepherding the department to higher ground.

“You and your team have done absolutely stellar work on behalf of the University of Minnesota,’’ Johnson said. “All the statistics, all the trend lines are moving in an extremely positive position.’’

http://www.startribune.com/mark-coyle-sums-up-gophers-progress-to-board-of-regents/487958101/

Go Gophers!!

Apparently the BB and FB season records were not part of the progress report.

The mission statement is "raise money, and don't have a scandal."

So, from that perspective, it was a good year.

The mission statement is "raise money, and don't have a scandal."

So, from that perspective, it was a good year.

Generally I suspect that is job 1 for most ADs.

There is all that hiring and firing of coaches thing too, but the weird thing is that there's really nothing about ADs that would make them particularly good at it....

Sounds like his firing is imminent, no?

Yep, and Kaler has overseen more football wins in his first 7 years than any MN President I think. He should be fired too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and Kaler has overseen more football wins in his first 7 years than any MN President I think. He should be fired too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fear for the next Governor of Minnesota if the Gophers don't do well in their fist year....

Apparently the BB and FB season records were not part of the progress report.

I missed the update where Kaler and Coyle are being fired. Since you said this was going to happen over and over again, can you give me the progress report on that?

I've been a big fan of Coyle for the way he handled the hiring process for Fleck.
He (for the first time of any recent Gopher AD) seemed to have a vision and a plan for what he wanted the football program to be, and went out and found his targeted coach and landed him in record time.

Since then, everything has been positive regarding the football program. Way more positive news than negative, except when it comes to wins and losses, and many of us are being patient there waiting for Fleck to get his guys in and play his style of football. (whatever that ends up being).

You're right but it's important to point out 2017 was an incredibly positive year for non-profits due to uncertainties in tax law. According to the latest issue of The Chronicle of Philanthropy on my desk, "One trend fundraisers are already seeing as a result: "bundling," in which donors make a large gift in one year and skip a subsequent year or two to maximize their tax advantages."

The U, much like my institution, will keep a keen on donors this fiscal year.

I posted this in the B.B. version of this thread.

You need to broaden your horizons. There are quite a few more sports than just football and basketball. The U is ranked fourth in the B1G in the Learfield Sports Directors Cup over the last 10 years.
They are also ranked 23rd in the most dominant academic and athletic schools:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunte...e-academically-and-athletically/#7e6d204b7c3d

And ranked 23 in the overall athletic success in the P5:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-6...html[URL] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I posted this in the B.B. version of this thread.

You need to broaden your horizons. There are quite a few more sports than just football and basketball. The U is ranked fourth in the B1G in the Learfield Sports Directors Cup over the last 10 years.

Yes, Maturi, Teague, and Goetz deserve a lot of credit.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom