Gophers Ranked #126 out of 130 on Experience Chart

Don't be surprised to if one particular poster chimes in listing all the alleged maturity, depth and talent that is on the rosters in an attempt to prove Phil Steele wrong.

Interesting that no team has more FR starters or FR in 2 Deep than Gophers.

Gophers

SR Starter: 7
SR 2 Deep: 2
JR Starter: 6
JR 2 Deep: 6
SO Starter: 6
SO 2 Deep: 3
FR Starter: 3
FR 2 Deep: 11

So in theory, in two to three years we should be among the top ten teams in experience with solid younger backups pushing for playing time. The domination is building!

We are 128 out of 130 not 126, I guess it supports the "we are young" statements from PJ. A list where we are near dead last, but Kansas and Air Force are at the top, makes me wonder if your position on this list is about as important as where we fall alphabetically on a list of 130 teams. Also where do you come up with an accurate 2 deep roster list at this time of year?

Bottom 15 include LSU, Va Tech, Okla, Penn St, Fla St. Perennial Top 20 programs.

My takeaway is Kansas is going to be really, really good this year.

But I thought we were loaded with deep and talented upperclassmen?? :confused:

We are 128 out of 130 not 126, I guess it supports the "we are young" statements from PJ. A list where we are near dead last, but Kansas and Air Force are at the top, makes me wonder if your position on this list is about as important as where we fall alphabetically on a list of 130 teams. Also where do you come up with an accurate 2 deep roster list at this time of year?

My best guess at his 2 deep...

SR Starter: 7 (Rodney Smith, Donnell Greene, Jared Weyler, Gary Moore, Blake Cashman, Jacob Huff, Antonio Shenault)
SR 2 Deep: 2 (Julian Huff, Shannon Brooks)
JR Starter: 6 (Tyler Johnson, Colton Beebe, OJ Smith, Carter Coughlin, Kamal Martin, Thomas Barber)
JR 2 Deep: 6 (Quinn Oseland, Bronson Dovich, Royal Silver, Chris Williamson, Jason Dickson, Winston DeLattiboudere)
SO Starter: 6 (Connor Olson, Kiondre Thomas, Antonio Winfield Jr, Sam Schlueter, Nate Umlor, Phillip Howard)
SO 2 Deep: 3 (Coney Durr, Ben Davis, Calvin Swenson)
FR Starter: 3 (Tanner Morgan, Chris Bell, Blaise Andries)
FR 2 Deep: 11 (Zack Annexstad, Demetrius Douglas, Rashod Bateman, John Schmitz, Daniel Faalele, Curtis Dunlap, Elijah Teague, Esezi Otomewo, Thomas Rush, Trenton Guthrie, Benny Sapp III)

Bateman and Bell can be swapped.

Might as well forget about a win against New Mexico State, they come in at a very high #15.

My best guess at his 2 deep...

SR Starter: 7 (Rodney Smith, Donnell Greene, Jared Weyler, Gary Moore, Blake Cashman, Jacob Huff, Antonio Shenault)
SR 2 Deep: 2 (Julian Huff, Shannon Brooks)

Coach Brooks in 2 deep?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coach Brooks in 2 deep?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You are probably correct. Could move Mohamed Ibrahim as backup RB and then Will Reger as a backup WR.

I also noticed I have too many linemen in my 2 deep. Its a guessing game try to reverse engineer this....

Bottom 15 include LSU, Va Tech, Okla, Penn St, Fla St. Perennial Top 20 programs.

Of course anyone would prefer a young LSU team to an experienced UAB team. But that's not what is being discussed. PJ has consistently said we are a young team, and Steele's analysis backs it up.

Well, we are only young because PJ drove off all of our talented Seniors and Juniors.

(did I do that right)?

It should be pretty easy to list out the 2-deep at QB....

I think a 2-deep for the Gophers could be done right now with a pretty high degree of accuracy. If anything changes, it's more than likely that there are freshmen surprises who play more than expected.

Let me try and split the middle on this one.

The Gophers have (IMHO) a decent core of experienced/returning players. Some positions are better situated than others. The real issue is depth. If an experienced player at any position gets hurt, he's generally going to be replaced with an inexperienced player. LB may be the only position where they are 2-deep in experience.

So, it all depends on staying healthy. If the Gophers stay healthy, inexperience doesn't have to be a fatal flaw. But, if they get hit with the injury bug - especially at certain positions, then yeah, inexperience could become glaring.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wwAnoECAkQIA&usg=AOvVaw2LIeSqwKCW06xxfDyeYItW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Interesting that no team has more FR starters or FR in 2 Deep than Gophers.

Gophers

SR Starter: 7
SR 2 Deep: 2
JR Starter: 6
JR 2 Deep: 6
SO Starter: 6
SO 2 Deep: 3
FR Starter: 3
FR 2 Deep: 11

Not really, considering it's the greatest Gopher recruiting class in the history of the program. :p

Gophers were among the leaders in the nation last year in not using redshirts...a lot of those frosh in possible two deep are redshirt frosh that PJ has said could have played last year...Bell, Osezi, Andries, Ibrahim, Morgan, Estes, Robinson...Douglas did play, but got a year back after injury...same with Winfield, who should be a junior, except for injury...also, Gophers didn’t go out and get jucos and grad transfers who could play right away like Brohm did and Frost and Allen and Durkin are doing...we redshirted jucos Silver and Davis...got transfers that had to sit a year in OJ and Williamson...OJ Smith also reclassified...he is a fifth year junior...not sure Steele includes special teamers, where Gophers have a lot of maturity...having Beck, HandyHolly, Craighton transfer hurts secondary age, but Sapp and the Smiths might have beaten them out anyway...Swenson is a third year guy and plays smart... Viramontes being afraid of Annexstad and Tanner ability hurts apparent age in two-deep, but speaks to talent in place...similarly, exodus of older WRs Williams, Hmielewski, Holland, Register makes us look younger, but sounds like younger guys are more talented...Dickson not ready would hurt maturity level at tackle, but I think Faalele may surprise...physically he is no frosh...bottom line is with all the redshirting and sitting out years due to transfers and injuries, Gophers are a lot older than they appear in this Steele breakdown.

Top Bottom