Jerry Kill: New Rule Helps Gophers

I'll never forget Jerry talking up the incoming WRs at a bowl game one year. He said he really wished he could play them for the bowl game because they were great. The next year.... nobody left the team... but I didn't see those great WRs he wished he could play.

They were those guys staring upward as a Mitch Leidner pass sailed over their head.

I think the idea that there would be little (or at least much smaller) drop off from starter to backup to freshman, at a place like Ohio St, actually shows why a school like Minnesota gets more relative benefit from the rule.

If our starter goes down, and the backup is a significant drop off in quality, we now at least have the option to consider a freshman, who may be of higher quality than the backup. Whereas before, it would be tough especially late in the season, to justify burning the redshirt.

At Ohio St, the quality on the field just stays high regardless who goes in. So there’s relatively little benefit in putting the freshman in over the backup.

They were those guys staring upward as a Mitch Leidner pass sailed over their head.

Mitch missed guys, occasionally they were open... but not many guys were getting great separation or anything either.

If we are in a talent upgrade mode, it definitely helps because we can use some of those talented inexperienced players to fill holes from injuries instead of a upperclassmen walk-on that has not developed into a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The QB position was a real screwed up mess in the Kill era due to happenstance and decisions made. Too bad. I think Nelson should have been red shirted. But, who would have started after Marquies Gray and Max Shortell got injured?

Top Bottom