Jerry Kill: New Rule Helps Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The NCAA’s recent decision allowing Division I college football players to play in up to four games and still preserve their redshirt status will help the Golden Gophers starting this fall.

In prior years a player lost his redshirt status just by taking one snap in a game. Effective this season coaches will have more roster depth because they can use players that in the past were sidelined so they could redshirt, allowing five years to complete four seasons of eligibility.

The five years and four seasons status remains, and former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill likes the rule change. “I think you get banged up (with injuries) and it gives you a chance to look at some of those freshmen for four games and it doesn’t count as a year,” he told Sports Headliners on Monday.

Kill rebuilt Gopher football from 2011-2015. He and his staff upgraded the coaching and the talent. Although Minnesota became a winning program, Kill struggled to build adequate depth. That’s a challenge that also faces second-year coach P.J. Fleck going into this fall where he will have a much anticipated freshmen class.

When injuries hit most of the programs in college football they often don’t have the talent in reserve they would like. “It hurt us in a couple bowl games we played because we had no depth,” Kill said. “It made it tough on us. I think there’s no question that it helps Minnesota, and I think it helps everybody else, too.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'll never forget Jerry talking up the incoming WRs at a bowl game one year. He said he really wished he could play them for the bowl game because they were great. The next year.... nobody left the team... but I didn't see those great WRs he wished he could play.

Jerry gave us an upgrade in coaching. An upgrade in talent is debatable.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with you on this. Jerry was an absolute great guy and prevented the program from going off the map. However the talent wasn't quite what I would like to have seen in the end.

"... Kill rebuilt Gopher football from 2011-2015. He and his staff upgraded the coaching and the talent. Although Minnesota became a winning program..."

Huh? Huh? And, what?

I'll never forget Jerry talking up the incoming WRs at a bowl game one year. He said he really wished he could play them for the bowl game because they were great. The next year.... nobody left the team... but I didn't see those great WRs he wished he could play.

Rashad Still?

Rashad Still?

I believe it was the WR class that had Holland, Gentry, Gant and Krizancic (sp?) that maybe combined for a total of about 10 catches (that might even be generous). I believe the last 2 transferred or quit football before even playing a snap.

I believe it was the WR class that had Holland, Gentry, Gant and Krizancic (sp?) that maybe combined for a total of about 10 catches (that might even be generous). I believe the last 2 transferred or quit football before even playing a snap.

I believe Sid raved about one guy who I believe was Still. Gentry and Holland were in that same class. Not sure who all were red-shirted that year, but regardless, they didn't quite turn out.

Gentry was probably the best of the bunch, he definitely stood out at practices I saw and at times so did Still. Holland always had the drops when I observed.

I believe Sid raved about one guy who I believe was Still. Gentry and Holland were in that same class. Not sure who all were red-shirted that year, but regardless, they didn't quite turn out.
Gentry, Holland, krutmaztic? And Gant were the same class. Still was in 2015. The white kid and Gant transferred. Gentry could never stay healthy. Holland dropped everything

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Love Jerry but in my opinion, this rule change helps the Haves in college football rather than the lower level teams. It allows those programs to keep underclassmen in the fold and playing while redshirting, preventing transfer to places where playing time may be more readily available. If you can’t evaluate your prospects in and entire year of practice, I really don’t see how seeing a player in one game Would tip the scales on your overall valuation of the player

Definitely had the program on an upward tilt and featured some decent defenses. The offensive side was frustrating and may have never become great. But, obviously it can be much worse. Certainly fair to criticize just about any regime though.

Definitely had the program on an upward tilt and featured some decent defenses. The offensive side was frustrating and may have never become great. But, obviously it can be much worse. Certainly fair to criticize just about any regime though.
All I know is that the Gophers played on January 1st for the first time in nearly 50 years when Jerry Kill was coaching. Say what you will about recruits and skill level, but ole' Jerr did something that few coaches at Minnesota have done.

Love Jerry but in my opinion, this rule change helps the Haves in college football rather than the lower level teams. It allows those programs to keep underclassmen in the fold and playing while redshirting, preventing transfer to places where playing time may be more readily available. If you can’t evaluate your prospects in and entire year of practice, I really don’t see how seeing a player in one game Would tip the scales on your overall valuation of the player

You could be right. But, similar to what Kill said, it does help if towards the end of the season and players have been lost to injury or banged up, if you can throw the freshmen in there to play as backups instead of keeping them completely off the field.

Maybe this is just a step towards ultimately allowing CFB players to have five seasons of eligibility period.

I think some folks are arguing that Kill didn't recruit highly rated talent as well as other coaches who have been here such as Brew or Fleck. Other folks are arguing that Kill started getting guys drafted and on all-B1G and such as evidence of improved talent. They are both right. Kill and his staff were marginal recruiters who through luck or design saw more players improve substantially on their watch.

It would have help the Gophers drastically under Jerry Kill. Mega Tongue scheduled the TCU home and away series which the Gophers should have never played against at their stage of development. I don't think Jerry Kill was happy. I think that was after paying $800K to cancel the series against South Carolina. Correct me if I am wrong.

It appeared Jerry did not see eye to eye with Mega Tongue on a lot of issues.

The 2015 game against TCU began a slew of injuries that piled up in the non-conference games leading up to the season. I can't remember how many injuries there were. But, they could have used a few freshmen without burning their red shirts.

Jerry Kill's team are not quitters. He built a respectable defense.

Unfortunately, loyalty to Limegrover did not help improve the offense. Limegrover is a good O-Line coach. His responsibilities where stretched. It showed on the product that they put out on the field.

He should have been moved to just being an O-Line coach and bring someone in to be the Offensive Coordinator.

Had he been able to do that, who knows. They would have been able to attract and develop better WRs. Jerry, it seems had been getting leftovers or unheralded prospects at WR.

The O-Line seems to be plagued with injuries, and there was no depth if you can it one. I don't think it was Mitch Leidner's fault that they were running more than passing.

Streveler never was in a position to be effective because they had invested so much in Leidner. The same can be said to a certain extend about Croft. Although IMHO, I think Croft's liability is his attitude.

It is really weird that they failed at building the offense up like they did the defense. In the end, with his health issues it was the final nail that doom his tenure. I feel bad.

I'm confused by the thought that playing TCU derailed the entire 2015 season. I understand that players got injured in that game, but it could have easily happened had they played any other opponent.

Is it because TCU was so big & strong? We play in the freaking Big Ten.

2015 was kind of a bad luck season; one in which injuries occurred & the Gophers just don't have the depth to overcome that like OSU, Michigan & even Wisconsin....but I don't see how scheduling TCU was responsible for that occurring.

I'm confused by the thought that playing TCU derailed the entire 2015 season. I understand that players got injured in that game, but it could have easily happened had they played any other opponent.

Is it because TCU was so big & strong? We play in the freaking Big Ten.

2015 was kind of a bad luck season; one in which injuries occurred & the Gophers just don't have the depth to overcome that like OSU, Michigan & even Wisconsin....but I don't see how scheduling TCU was responsible for that occurring.

Yep. Nothing wrong with playing TCU. The program was on the rise at the time and it put people in the seats; something we need again.

They were roughed up by TCU. But, you're right. Had they played New Mexico State, they could have done the same thing to the Gophers. It was just a weird hard luck season where they went 6-7 overall, 2-6 in the B1G.

My point is that they were hobbling after the punishing game against TCU. And then more injuries pile up subsequently.

Two of those B1G games they should have won. They were driving down deep inside the Michigan red zone. Bad clock management cost them the game losing 26-29. They lost to Iowa 35-40.

As far as the point of the thread;

I think the "4-game" rule definitely helps struggling programs more than the helmet schools. It's all about depth. at the Helmet schools, if a starter goes down, the backup may have been a 4-star player in HS. outside of the top-25, if a starter goes down, the backup was probably a 2-star or low 3-star player.

Under the new rule, if a team like MN loses a starter, and they have a talented FR they're trying to red-shirt, they can play the kid for four games and preserve the red-shirt. they don't have to choose between the two options. at a Helmet school, burning a red-shirt is usually not an issue because the next recruiting class will probably bring in an even better player.

It would have help the Gophers drastically under Jerry Kill. Mega Tongue scheduled the TCU home and away series which the Gophers should have never played against at their stage of development. I don't think Jerry Kill was happy. I think that was after paying $800K to cancel the series against South Carolina. Correct me if I am wrong.

It was North Carolina.

Back to the O.P. It should help most if not all of the "non-helmet" schools. They just don't have the depth. Being able to use a few players for 3-4 games without penalty will be very useful.

How they manage it will be the main question, not it's usefulness.

Now back to the "Kill sucks/Kill was fine" debate...:banghead:

Back to the O.P. It should help most if not all of the "non-helmet" schools. They just don't have the depth. Being able to use a few players for 3-4 games without penalty will be very useful.

How they manage it will be the main question, not it's usefulness.

Now back to the "Kill sucks/Kill was fine" debate...:banghead:

No question it helps...all programs. As another poster pointed out, it also gives the helmet schools an advantage (maybe more of one) as they can give game time to highly rated depth chart players as a matter of routine development. Rising tide raises all...rowboats to cruise ships. Pun intended.

No question it helps...all programs. As another poster pointed out, it also gives the helmet schools an advantage (maybe more of one) as they can give game time to highly rated depth chart players as a matter of routine development. Rising tide raises all...rowboats to cruise ships. Pun intended.

Yup, Iowa, NW, and others have the same advantages with the new rule.

Understood.

Helmet schools will give playing time. Non-Helmet schools, such as IA,NW, MN,MS etc, will need to give them playing time.

IMHO, doubt that the difference between the 2 and 3 stringers for ALA, USC, tOSU,UGA etc is a great as the difference between the 3rd stringer at most of the other schools and the highly touted Freshmen for whom the coach wants to keep that Redshirt on.

I'm inclined to agree.

There are guys backing up super stars on the helmet schools who would start here for sure. That guy goes against our starter... not necessarily a win for us :(

It appeared Jerry did not see eye to eye with Mega Tongue on a lot of issues.

The 2015 game against TCU began a slew of injuries that piled up in the non-conference games leading up to the season. I can't remember how many injuries there were. But, they could have used a few freshmen without burning their red shirts.

Jerry Kill's team are not quitters. He built a respectable defense.

Unfortunately, loyalty to Limegrover did not help improve the offense. Limegrover is a good O-Line coach. His responsibilities where stretched. It showed on the product that they put out on the field.

He should have been moved to just being an O-Line coach and bring someone in to be the Offensive Coordinator.

Had he been able to do that, who knows. They would have been able to attract and develop better WRs. Jerry, it seems had been getting leftovers or unheralded prospects at WR.

The O-Line seems to be plagued with injuries, and there was no depth if you can it one. I don't think it was Mitch Leidner's fault that they were running more than passing.

Streveler never was in a position to be effective because they had invested so much in Leidner.
The same can be said to a certain extend about Croft. Although IMHO, I think Croft's liability is his attitude.

It is really weird that they failed at building the offense up like they did the defense. In the end, with his health issues it was the final nail that doom his tenure. I feel bad.

Please expound.

I'm inclined to agree.

There are guys backing up super stars on the helmet schools who would start here for sure. That guy goes against our starter... not necessarily a win for us :(

As opposed to now?

Top Bottom