Five Important Players for the Gophers in 2018

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Following a 5-7 season, P.J. Fleck and the Gophers will be trying to improve several categories that plagued them during the 2018 campaign. A few of those problem areas include the pass rush, run defense and passing game. The team will certainly need new additions and returning starters to step up in 2018. As the season approaches, there are a few important names who could shape the team’s overall outlook. Take a closer look at the list:

QB Tanner Morgan/Zack Annexstad

Improving offensively starts at the quarterback position. Last year, the Gophers were near the bottom of many passing categories. The full system was scaled back and the Gophers didn’t have much flexibility to fully execute read-option and run-pass option (RPO) looks.

Overall, only six teams had a worse overall completion percentage (47.2%) and just eight averaged fewer passing yards per game (126.1) than the Gophers in 2017. Minnesota’s quarterbacks tossed nine total touchdown passes and 11 interceptions last year, ranking near the bottom of every major passing category. In addition, their completion percentage was worse last year (47.2%) than in 2016 (54%).

Right now, the quarterback race is still up for grabs. However, everyone knows a redshirt or true freshman will be under center in Week 1. This year, when team’s try to load the box, the quarterbacks must be able to make the read and deliver an accurate pass. Last year, there were moments where the quarterback wasn’t a running threat and defenses took advantage by not even playing the run in RPO looks. In other instances, they played the run, but it was clear the Gophers weren’t considering a passing play. To put it simply – there wasn’t offensive balance or dual-threat ability at quarterback. Both Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad are candidates to help improve this area.

Morgan had a strong spring and flourished in play-action, showing he can extend plays with his legs. He was finding his targets and delivering throws accurately. Annexstad flashed his overall arm talent and mechanics to find receivers vertically with touch. He also had the ability to drive the ball to the sidelines, which is strong trait to have. The main hurdle for the eventual starter will be handling the progressions associated with playing at the collegiate level. There may be more overall talent at the quarterback position, but the inexperience associated with the starting candidates could lead to early growing pains.

Nobody knows how Morgan or Annexstad will handle live action in the Big Ten until they take the field. However, the group features more promise, despite all of the inexperience. I talked about this at length in my Gopher Football Guide, which is available for purchase at the bottom of this piece.

DT O.J. Smith

Throughout numerous offseason posts, the importance of finding a defensive tackle who can take on double teams has been stressed. Last year, Steven Richardson was one of the top defensive tackles in the Big Ten, but was more of a natural fit at three-technique. The Gophers landed Alabama transfer O.J. Smith last summer to help inject much-needed talent into the position. Smith was once a four-star recruit, but never progressed up the depth at Alabama. He is a powerful defensive tackle who can shed blocks and use leverage to win as a run defender.

Smith has the 309-pound frame to play zero and one technique defensive tackle. This is important because he will command attention off combination blocks. It means the edge players will have more 1-on-1 opportunities to rush freely and get after the quarterback. Perhaps the team will rotate Gary Moore, Nate Umlor and Elijah Teague next to Smith to create a rotation and keep players fresh. If they can find a player to serve as a primary three-technique defensive tackle, it will help the pass rush develop an improved identity. Smith must stay healthy and perform well because he is the main player on the depth chart who fits the necessary player profile/body type.

WR Rashod Bateman

As I noted in a recent piece, the one freshman who could make a big mark on the Gophers this year is wide receiver Rashod Bateman. Outside of Tyler Johnson, Minnesota doesn’t have many dynamic options at wide receiver. It’s why the Gophers have continued to invest recruiting resources into the position. In this cycle, they landed Rashod Bateman, a highly coveted four-star receiver. He received offers from SEC powers like Tennessee and Georgia in mid-December, but never wavered from his commitment to Minnesota.

His route running skills, along with his athletic playmaking ability will command plenty of attention from opposing defenses. He is the perfect complement to Tyler Johnson and is the type of player who can stress the defense with a nuanced route tree. Bateman could burst onto the scene and make an immediate impact for the Gophers in 2018. This is especially the case when you evaluate his overall talent and the current outlook of the depth chart. I recently wrote about what he will bring to the Gophers and you can read it here.

LB Carter Coughlin

Last year, Carter Coughlin transitioned to the “R” rusher role and it was more difficult than many people think. Coughlin traditionally played linebacker and didn’t have experience as a stand-up pass rusher. In his old role, he had additional time to read and react, but at the “R” position everything is happening in an instant. Understanding pass rushing angles, how to attack offensive tackles based upon leverage and executing proper hand technique are all things going through his mind.

Despite learning the position on the fly, Coughlin led the team with 11.5 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. He has discussed feeling more comfortable this year after tightening up his technique and adding weight. He will be a key component as Minnesota tries to improve a pass rush which struggled to get after the quarterback with four down linemen. Not only that, but he will hopefully have more strength to hold up against the run. The Gophers didn’t have enough mass and strength on the edge last year and it really hurt them against physical, power running teams. Coughlin is a very important player because there aren’t many other players who could handle his role in the event he misses time.

DB Antoine Winfield Jr.

Aside from running back Rodney Smith, there probably isn’t a more valuable player on the Gophers’ roster than Antoine Winfield Jr.. Everyone is very accustomed to the role Smith has played on a yearly basis. However, Winfield has a much smaller sample size due to nagging injuries. This year, he is 100 percent healthy and looks much bigger physically. Winfield is the jack-of-all-trades player every defense needs. The Gophers can use him creatively on defense off blitz and pressure packages. Not only that, but he can be left on an island in coverage because of his skills in that capacity. He has the physical gifts to play a multitude of different roles, such as safety, nickel cornerback or even a hybrid Jabrill Peppers-like role. Winfield Jr.’s versatility is so important for a young secondary who needs as much star power as possible. I have dedicated a complete section discussing Winfield Jr.’s potential role in my 2018 Gopher Football Guide. You can buy the digital book by clicking here.

Want more premium Gophers content? Purchase a copy of my 2018 Gophers Football Guide. $15 gets you nearly 70 pages previewing the season, future recruiting, film breakdowns and much more! 25% of each purchase will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Minnesota! Get yours here.

Thanks Dan, nice work. I feel like before the injury, Demetrius Douglas showed enough of a glimpse last year to be someone to breakout this year. Great hands and moves. Nose for the ball.

Agreed. Johnson/Bateman/Douglas/Autman-Bell will be a nice group. Douglas was the best route runner on the team prior to his injury. I love his feet and starts. Reminds me of a young Doug Baldwin.

Thanks Dan, nice work. I feel like before the injury, Demetrius Douglas showed enough of a glimpse last year to be someone to breakout this year. Great hands and moves. Nose for the ball.

On the plus side, Douglas seemed to be able to catch the ball, which was an overall receiver group problem. But yards after catch seemed non existent to me for him. No elusiveness and very willing to be down where he caught the ball.
Maybe it was freshmen jitters...hopefully I see it differently this fall.
The receiver group does seem more promising this year.

Yes, the QB spot is big, but for me OL development and depth is equally important.

Also, the LB depth, combined with some improvements on the DL, as well as the return of Winfield, we might have a much more intimidating defense this year. Any downfield passing game and monster running game would be welcome as well.

Top Bottom