One burning question for every Big Ten team (MN: Is second time a charm?)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hellman:

MINNESOTA: IS THE SECOND TIME THE CHARM?

PJ Fleck went from 1-11 to 8-5 after his first full year at Western Michigan. Can the young boat-rower bring the same instant turnaround at Minnesota? Fleck has a deeper coaching staff and more of his recruits in the system. Gopher fans saw Tracy Claeys win nine games during 2016 and had good years under Jerry Kill. Does Fleck make the same quick turnaround after a 5-7 debut as head football coach?

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...for-every-Big-Ten-team-119638917/#119638917_3

Go Gophers!!

Yes the Second time will be the Charm!

Lucky Charms after all is a Minnesota product.

Lucky Charms after all is a Minnesota product.
Me and my brother lived next door to the guy who ran that department at General Mills. He use to bring new cereals in white boxes and test them on us. Lucky Charms, Trix, Golden Graham's. He also came up with the idea for the breakfast cereal bars. Same guy is also a golden dunker, sometimes he will let us use his seats. Greatest next door neighbor ever.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Me and my brother lived next door to the guy who ran that department at General Mills. He use to bring new cereals in white boxes and test them on us. Lucky Charms, Trix, Golden Graham's. He also came up with the idea for the breakfast cereal bars. Same guy is also a golden dunker, sometimes he will let us use his seats. Greatest next door neighbor ever.

He's slowly poisoning you.

PJ Fleck went from 1-11 to 8-5 after his first full year at Western Michigan. Can the young boat-rower bring the same instant turnaround at Minnesota?

Nope. A bowl game would be a good season. Next year a bowl game would be expected. Let's talk about 8 wins in 2020.

I can't speak for all Gophers fans but with the recent track record of the program, an 8 win season would never be disappointment to me.

Fleck was hired to be the coach who would take us over that threshold. I'd take 8 wins in 20, but it would be a bit disappointing given the level of talent that he is attracting. After all, Claeys was fired after taking a team to 9 wins for the second time in 112 years. IMO, we should see 9 wins regularly starting in 19.

An 8 win season in his 4th year (or year 3 if you will) would be quite disappointing.

Agreed, but it's not going to happen this year and not likely next considering the young talent. When this years Frosh are Juniors, we could hit 10 wins (depending on the schedule).

Agreed, but it's not going to happen this year and not likely next considering the young talent. When this years Frosh are Juniors, we could hit 10 wins (depending on the schedule).
Kill won eight in year three (2) in PJ years.

Kill won eight in year three (2) in PJ years.
Looks like Nelson was a Soph, and Leidner a Frosh, so the QB issue is similar at least. One big note is Kill had 4 NC games. He did pull an upset of Nebraska, but I'd have predicted a 7 win season prior to.

Well, it's not outside the realm of possibility. If Fleck can coach as well as he recruits, we could hit 9 wins next season. Still, I'll stick to hopes of 7 wins and a mid-level bowl game until this season's done. If we can develop a passing game, there's really only two games I don't see us winning at all next year.

If we can develop a passing game, there's really only two games I don't see us winning at all next year.

Agree. At this point, The 2019 schedule looks VERY Manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Nelson was a Soph, and Leidner a Frosh, so the QB issue is similar at least. One big note is Kill had 4 NC games. He did pull an upset of Nebraska, but I'd have predicted a 7 win season prior to.

Well, it's not outside the realm of possibility. If Fleck can coach as well as he recruits, we could hit 9 wins next season. Still, I'll stick to hopes of 7 wins and a mid-level bowl game until this season's done. If we can develop a passing game, there's really only two games I don't see us winning at all next year.

Hope springs eternal....

Top Bottom