Fleck is getting there

#2Gopher

Reaction score
While we have lost a few 4 stars so far this year as to recruiting. It is quite obvious that he is getting closer. No doubt we need to start winning again to turn this tide a little quicker. Having said that, we're not done yet this year and believe that Fleck will finish the year strong with his recruiting.

Go Gophers!

I hope he does but heard that with mason, Brewster, kill/claeys and now Fleck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's bound to be some four-star player that may slip through the cracks from D1 schools that over-committed.

Fleck's 4-star composite signees last year were a pair of December commits and a late cycle reevaluation. He missed on a share as well. We'll be fine.

Just remember, we just need to come in close to Wisconsin (while beating all other B1G W teams) in terms of recruiting rankings/average stars. This is achieveable.

We have the 2nd lowest ranking per player in the B1G. We are ahead of Rutgers. We need a few high 3s, 4s, and/or another large class to rank near WI.

5 Purdue
Total: 18* 5: 0 4: 2 3: 16 85.13 189.61 (*247 has it as 19 total recruits, but they're math is wrong.)

6 Minnesota
Total: 19 5: 0 4: 1 3: 16 84.83 184.21

7 Wisconsin
Total: 12 5: 1 4: 1 3: 10 87.88 177.77

8 Iowa
Total: 14 5: 0 4: 2 3: 12 86.68 176.76

Rankings don't really indicate anything. It's development that will be far more important. Fleck will once in a while get a 4*, but he'll never get Minnesota to the point were they can recruit nationally against Alabama or Ohio State for any recruit in the country. Take a page out of Wisconsin's book: it's about getting the right players that fit your system, not the highest ranked ones. I think Wisconsin's recruiting has stepped up a bit but they still certainly look for certain types of players.

Fleck is creating culture here, more than just a program. That takes time. Recruits will embrace it.

We have the 2nd lowest ranking per player in the B1G. We are ahead of Rutgers. We need a few high 3s, 4s, and/or another large class to rank near WI.

5 Purdue
Total: 18* 5: 0 4: 2 3: 16 85.13 189.61 (*247 has it as 19 total recruits, but they're math is wrong.)

6 Minnesota

7 Wisconsin

8 Iowa

The long snapper and kicker really bring down the average. Even though they're ranked extremely high for their position, they're ranked really low overall. Remove them and it goes up to 85.66. Still not great but definitely better.

It'll be interesting how the ranking changes once the players are re-evaluated. Several commitments have some pretty good offers, yet aren't ranked very high.

Rankings don't really indicate anything. It's development that will be far more important. Fleck will once in a while get a 4*, but he'll never get Minnesota to the point were they can recruit nationally against Alabama or Ohio State for any recruit in the country. Take a page out of Wisconsin's book: it's about getting the right players that fit your system, not the highest ranked ones. I think Wisconsin's recruiting has stepped up a bit but they still certainly look for certain types of players.

A team like Wisconsin has demonstrated that they like to run and have been successful at it. Just think of all the RB's that have gone to the NFL from their school of late. They concentrate efforts around recruiting offensive lineman to build their running game and have gotten their fair share of 4* athletes. To your point they've also been successful at coaching others up.

I feel that Fleck will create a team identity as well, and with success, which up front will mean coaching players up, he too will ultimately start to land higher rated recruits once they start consistently winning. The odds are against him landing a bunch of 4* players with a losing record in the B1G. It will come...

5 Purdue

6 Minnesota

7 Wisconsin

8 Iowa

I’m usually the last one to defend 247 but somewhat surprisingly they do indeed have 19 as they have a 2 Star commit.

I’m one of those that doesn’t “get” the commit horse race as all that really matters is where we stand in early 2019. That, and the performance of the team this fall will either help sell the team or potentially result in problems if PJ underperforms. How the team looks despite all the excuses being thrown around is far more important than splitting insignificant hairs on recruiting rankings.

The rating systems are based on potential as a future PRO player. It has nothing to do with a potential college career. Scads of 2-3-4 star players have just the same potential and abilities.

What do rankings even mean!?!?!

qbXfLGo.gif

And here we go...exactly. Miss on a recruit and out come the star rating and recruiting minimizers.

Fleck is getting there...The hope he will is nice but the odds of this class finishing well worse than last is more likely than not.

4*'s will slip through like last year and we will pick them up...Is that recruiting philosophy we want and should expect?

Just need to come close to Wisconsin...Don't know about you all but I'd like the axe back. We can and should expect better. It is really OK.

Rankings don't mean anything...Unless we score a top 10 class, of course...

Need the RIGHT player...Calling J.Kill...Works wonderfully when you keep missing on the wrong i.e. QB.

Creating a culture...Again, just like Jerry, only at half the price and terrible facilities.

It's the kicker and long snappers fault!

Star system just means their potential as PRO players...That's the point!!!

I surmise there would be considerably more chest pounding if the current ranking was a top 15 class. Perhaps I am mistaken? Based on the comments above the rankings that have historically predicted success apparently are just a ruse.
Why the need to justify losing a player we all would have loved to have here?

When Wisconsin has vastly outperformed their recruiting rankings it’s odd to hold them up as an example of the importance of recruiting. There is a correlation in aggregate but there are outliers all over the place. Yes, the odds of a good team go up with top 25-30 classes.

While we have lost a few 4 stars so far this year as to recruiting. It is quite obvious that he is getting closer. No doubt we need to start winning again to turn this tide a little quicker. Having said that, we're not done yet this year and believe that Fleck will finish the year strong with his recruiting.

Go Gophers!

Where is "there" and how do we know we're "closer" to there? Is there a yellow brick road involved? [emoji41]

Fleck is creating culture here, more than just a program. That takes time. Recruits will embrace it.
Asian, Afro, Latin, Euro, etc., which culture is he creating? Does anyone know or are we just talking a stew? [emoji41]

as a NDSU/GOPHER FB fan... Fleck has given the U great exposure, advertising, notoriety. Its been fun to watch and very entertaining. its time for the team to come together as brothers and produce more wins.... but its year 2 lets see how this year plays out.

im confused

year zero was last year, year 1 is this year (it's not year 2 until 2019)

***Get close to Wisconsin and we'll be fine according to OP. We have 2 recruits ranked higher than they're average. Yikes! Also, Benhart is going to WI or Tennessee.

Lastly, I've seen little (yet it's early) to make me believe that Fleck and co. can "coach them up". WMU players being drafted under his regime means little to me b/c I didn't see the improvement.

There is no one "right" answer to building a winning program.

you can build a winning program by recruiting outstanding athletes. this approach does not necessarily rely on great coaching. Just overwhelm the opponent with sheer talent.

you can build a winning program by having a very specific scheme, and recruiting athletes that fit that scheme. This approach requires a little more coaching - but the key is getting players who fit the system.

And, you can build a winning program by simply out-coaching your opponents. The old "Coach 'em up" routine. gain an advantage by game-planning and making in-game adjustments to give your team an edge. If you're really good, you can win games over teams that have superior talent.

And, of course, there are hybrid approaches that combine elements from each of the methods I listed.

Sometimes, it's easy to tell what approach a coach or staff is following. Sometimes, it's not so clear.

But, in the end, as the Walrus would say, the ultimate judge of success is the won-loss record. You are your record.

year zero was last year, year 1 is this year (it's not year 2 until 2019)

***Get close to Wisconsin and we'll be fine according to OP. We have 2 recruits ranked higher than they're average. Yikes! Also, Benhart is going to WI or Tennessee.

Lastly, I've seen little (yet it's early) to make me believe that Fleck and co. can "coach them up". WMU players being drafted under his regime means little to me b/c I didn't see the improvement.

Wi has puffy winning percentages cuz most big ten west teams stink and for 20 years they have had the softest preseason schedules. It looks like they perform better than their ratings. It’s like the 70s Vikings the had 6 easy wins aye over bears pack lions

Wi has puffy winning percentages cuz most big ten west teams stink and for 20 years they have had the softest preseason schedules. It looks like they perform better than their ratings. It’s like the 70s Vikings the had 6 easy wins aye over bears pack lions

What bothers me about the recruiting and Becky. What do they do with their offensive linemen? I see their offensive line is rated as the top/best offensive line in college football. How does this happen? Better recruits (certainly not all 4 or 5 Star)? Better coaching? Didn‘t we hire a former Becky assistant? Just don‘t understand how that happens year after year. Until we getan offensive line that is competitive with Becky, we will have a hard time competing with them.

What bothers me about the recruiting and Becky. What do they do with their offensive linemen? I see their offensive line is rated as the top/best offensive line in college football. How does this happen? Better recruits (certainly not all 4 or 5 Star)? Better coaching? Didn‘t we hire a former Becky assistant? Just don‘t understand how that happens year after year. Until we getan offensive line that is competitive with Becky, we will have a hard time competing with them.

I think a lot of that is the scheme. WI has a very specific blueprint for what they want in OL. They recruit players that fit that blueprint, and they coach them to play the scheme to the letter. And it works. Success breeds success. If you're an OL prospect, WI is a school you have to consider because they have a track record for producing strong OL play.

I think this is one area where the change in coaches and coaching philosophy has hurt the Gophers. Under Mason, the Gophers had very good OL play - because they had a plan and stuck to it. Once the coaching shuffle began, it was changes in philosophy and changes in recruiting priorities, leading to inconsistent OL play.

Get a plan, stick to the plan.

Top Bottom