Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle still confident in Richard Pitino, P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Q How long until the football and men’s basketball programs find success?

A As you know, you have been here a long time, recruiting is the key. You have to be able to recruit the right student-athletes to come to Minnesota to compete. If you look at what Coach Fleck is doing on the football side, he has had very highly ranked recruiting classes. I think our recruiting class for 2019 is ranked in the top 25 in the country and top four in the Big Ten. If you look at our men’s basketball recruiting, we have a really good class that is coming in right now. We obviously get Eric Curry back, get Amir Coffey back, so we feel like both those sports are trending in the right direction. But there is no doubt we need those sports competitive and healthy to compete at a high level.

Q What impact has Fleck had?

A  I talked about when we hired him that we wanted to create a sense of urgency, and I think P.J. has created that sense of urgency. He works incredibly hard at the recruiting side, he works incredibly hard at teaching our student-athletes on and off the field. I think he has had a very positive impact on our program. We’re going to be very young this year, we’re going to have a young team this year competing in a very hard conference, but we won’t make excuses and we’ll work hard and we’ll line up and compete hard. But he has done a phenomenal job with our program, and we’re just grateful for the energy and effort he has brought to us.

Q There has been some talk of the Big Ten Network losing revenue.

A The Big Ten Network is a significant part of our budget, as it is everyone in the Big Ten. I don’t know the exact dollar figures, but that exposure for our team and for our department is a big help as we move forward.

Q How about your budget compared to Iowa and Wisconsin?

A Well overall, I know last year I believe we were eighth in the conference in overall operating budget, both Iowa and Wisconsin were ahead of us in terms of their operating budget. We were eighth. We talk all the time about how we have to be innovative in how we maximize our resources to make sure we provide an excellent experience for our student-athletes and coaches, to allow them to compete at a high level. We were eighth or ninth in the Big Ten last year with our operating budget.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...fident-in-richard-pitino-p-j-fleck/487453941/

Go Gophers!!

at least--------

Well, if we need a postive takeaway from this tete tete it would be that Coyle didn't state 'we need to be more like Wisconsin'. At the Les, we would count the number of times Joel would say Wisconsin.

Well, if we need a postive takeaway from this tete tete it would be that Coyle didn't state 'we need to be more like Wisconsin'. At the Les, we would count the number of times Joel would say Wisconsin.
But Joel Maturi or as wren called him the MACturian candidate got a crappy building named after him!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what there is to be confident about on the basketball side. Elite high school recruits from Minnesota are fleeing the state like rats from a sinking ship. He just had a season derailed by the me too movement (which got a football coach fired after a 9-win season, but he's untouchable, apparently). His crowning achievement in 6-7 years is one NCAA tournament birth that resulted in a thumping from Middle Tennessee State. Optism is irrational.

The football side has a lot of good momentum right now. Plenty to like there. The aura around that team is the complete opposite of the basketball program.

The Pav no longer has the charm that it did when it was the hockey arena, it sucks.

It's a great venue for the sports that it holds, the place is rocking for volleyball.

It's a great venue for the sports that it holds, the place is rocking for volleyball.
Okay I'll backpeddle, they should e named the rowing facility after him Maturi since he cared more about that than he did building a facility for Tubby

I'm not sure what there is to be confident about on the basketball side. Elite high school recruits from Minnesota are fleeing the state like rats from a sinking ship. He just had a season derailed by the me too movement (which got a football coach fired after a 9-win season, but he's untouchable, apparently). His crowning achievement in 6-7 years is one NCAA tournament birth that resulted in a thumping from Middle Tennessee State. Optism is irrational.

The football side has a lot of good momentum right now. Plenty to like there. The aura around that team is the complete opposite of the basketball program.

Mark Coyle can NOT afford to buy out Dick Pitino after he extended him just a year or two in the "not so distant past..." Coyle has continued in the tradition of zigging when he should be zagging that bjm had perfected during his entirely too long tenure at the helm of the U of M era of prexy b/beginning of prexy k reigns of colorful direction of athletics at the Minneapolis Campus. And, never forget the "Norwood spree" that shall not be forgotten any time in the near term. Athletic directorship at the U of M has been tragically flawed for a very long time going back to beyond the most recent turn of the century. A very tragic comedy of errors, if one can appreciate that sort of thing...or especially if one does NOT appreciate that kind of nonsense.

The next firing and buy out of a football or men's basketball coach that AD has previously extended, will include the firing and buy out of the current athletic director. The Prexy who will replace the current aged prexy will see to that, one might safely assume.

Dick Pitino and P J Fleck will receive support from Mark Coyle for as long as Mark Coyle remains at the U of M in his current position. We Gopher Fans richly deserve what we get after putting up with what we have been given for such an extended period of time. Is it luck, skill or just what we deserve? There are various opinions, schools of thought and guesses floating around the East Bank Campus of the University of Minnesota. My opinion is only one of the many....

Coil says there's a "sense of urgency" but hearing PJ tell us that we won't be any good until 2020 says differently.
The snake keeps hissing...[emoji216]

I'll knock Coyle when I can but dude has to support his coaches ... until he fires them. Not much you can expect otherwise.

Other than 8 months ago when they signed 3 of the top 4 in-state guys?

To me, saying that you brought in someone with a "sense of urgency" means that you brought in someone who expects to win now. Whatever your thoughts on Fleck, I struggle to see how that is an apt description of him.

Also, Fleck clearly didn't get Coyle's "no excuses" memo. If we could have a sense if urgency and play well enough to not need to make any excuses this year, I will be a happy camper.

Okay I'll backpeddle, they should e named the rowing facility after him Maturi since he cared more about that than he did building a facility for Tubby

How does Tubby's practice facility relate to the argument about the Pavillion having no charm? Get a grip, sounds like you just hate Maturi.

Top Bottom