Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle still confident in Richard Pitino, P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Q How long until the football and men’s basketball programs find success?

A As you know, you have been here a long time, recruiting is the key. You have to be able to recruit the right student-athletes to come to Minnesota to compete. If you look at what Coach Fleck is doing on the football side, he has had very highly ranked recruiting classes. I think our recruiting class for 2019 is ranked in the top 25 in the country and top four in the Big Ten. If you look at our men’s basketball recruiting, we have a really good class that is coming in right now. We obviously get Eric Curry back, get Amir Coffey back, so we feel like both those sports are trending in the right direction. But there is no doubt we need those sports competitive and healthy to compete at a high level.

Q Do you still think the basketball program is in good shape despite two tough seasons recently?

A I have a lot of confidence in Coach Pitino. I have talked about that a lot. I think Richard is the right person here. I think we need to continue to support Richard and do everything we can to help his program. Last year with the injuries and some of the off the court challenges we had, again getting Curry and Coffey back and healthy, I think we’re going to be in a good spot. We return Jordan Murphy; Dupree [McBrayer] getting healthy will be key for us. I think we have a good team coming back, and we expect a nice turnaround with men’s basketball this season.

Q There has been some talk of the Big Ten Network losing revenue.

A The Big Ten Network is a significant part of our budget, as it is everyone in the Big Ten. I don’t know the exact dollar figures, but that exposure for our team and for our department is a big help as we move forward.

Q How about your budget compared to Iowa and Wisconsin?

A Well overall, I know last year I believe we were eighth in the conference in overall operating budget, both Iowa and Wisconsin were ahead of us in terms of their operating budget. We were eighth. We talk all the time about how we have to be innovative in how we maximize our resources to make sure we provide an excellent experience for our student-athletes and coaches, to allow them to compete at a high level. We were eighth or ninth in the Big Ten last year with our operating budget.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...fident-in-richard-pitino-p-j-fleck/487453941/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom