Andy Katz: Top 20 Returning Players for 2018-2019...Where is Murphy?

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
Andy Katz relased the remaining top 5 returning players for 2018-2019. Here is the 20...
1. Carsen Edwards, Purdue
2. Luke Maye, North Carolina
3. Caleb Martin, Nevada
4. Ethan Happ, Wisconsin
5. Kyle Guy, Virginia
6. Tyus Battle, Syracuse
7. Markus Howard, Marquette
8. Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga
9. Shamorie Ponds, Saint John's
10. Ky Bowman, Boston College
11. Grant Williams, Tennessee
12. Juwan Morgan, Indiana
13. James Palmer Jr., Nebraska
14. Bennie Boatwright, Southern California
15. Mike Daum, South Dakota State
16. Kellan Grady, Davidson
17. Tremont Waters, LSU
18. Lindell Wigginton, Iowa State
19. Jontay Porter, Missouri
20. McKinley Wright IV, Colorado

I personally think Murphy should absolutely be on this list and the fact that he is not is kind of a glaring omission. I would have Murphy somewhere from the 8-13 spot. What does everyonne else think?

Andy Katz relased the remaining top 5 returning players for 2018-2019. Here is the 20...
1. Carsen Edwards, Purdue
2. Luke Maye, North Carolina
3. Caleb Martin, Nevada
4. Ethan Happ, Wisconsin
5. Kyle Guy, Virginia
6. Tyus Battle, Syracuse
7. Markus Howard, Marquette
8. Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga
9. Shamorie Ponds, Saint John's
10. Ky Bowman, Boston College
11. Grant Williams, Tennessee
12. Juwan Morgan, Indiana
13. James Palmer Jr., Nebraska
14. Bennie Boatwright, Southern California
15. Mike Daum, South Dakota State
16. Kellan Grady, Davidson
17. Tremont Waters, LSU
18. Lindell Wigginton, Iowa State
19. Jontay Porter, Missouri
20. McKinley Wright IV, Colorado

I personally think Murphy should absolutely be on this list and the fact that he is not is kind of a glaring omission. I would have Murphy somewhere from the 8-13 spot. What does everyonne else think?
McKinley Wright and Juwan Morgan seriously?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is a very ****ty list and says a lot about the state of college basketball.

Plus Happ is a mediocre defender. Elite down low on offense, but if he could do anything outside of ten feet or defend competently he would be in the NBA

Murphy is better than happ in my mind. May be biased but I think happ is good but overrated

Plus Happ is a mediocre defender. Elite down low on offense, but if he could do anything outside of ten feet or defend competently he would be in the NBA

A mediocre defender who has twice led the Big Ten in steals?

I’ll give Katz the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just forgot Murphy given that he gave us a decent ranking in his preseason ranks, which a lot of other experts haven’t.

Regarding Happ vs. Murphy:
-Happ is not a mediocre defender. He’s good.
-I’d call them even and slightly lean Happ BUT
-Murphy thrives as “the guy” and Happ struggles. If he’s got shooters around him his an efficient offensive player. It’ll be interesting what they think they have for him this year in supporting cast.
-Both struggled a bit on defense as the main interior guy. Happ missing Hayes, Murph missing Lynch.

Hopefully this will be clipped in Murphy's locker. And IW's. And Coffey's!

McKinley Wright and Juwan Morgan seriously?

McKinley Wright I agree probably shouldn't be on this list.

Juwan Morgan? Uh, yeah, very seriously: 29.5 PER, 5.0 win shares, and .218 win shares per 40 minutes; those are terrific measures.

I think Murphy should be on this list but I certainly wouldn't dispute the merits of Morgan and Happ being on it. I would give the edge to Murphy over James Palmer.

Happ is deserving and Murphy is too. There are 21 players between where Happ was placed and the end of the list. You have a bigger gripe with those 21 than Happ. Happ is a really good defender when not asked to guard a back court player. I'd love to have Murphy next to Happ for his defense and rebounding. Happ was asked to do too much last year with all the injuries and lack of a Nigel Hayes next to him.

agreed. it was made by katz to hype wisconsin. its what he does.

There is exactly one Wisconsin player on this list and he is an acknowledged all conference player. I guess by your logic, he was really trying to hype Purdue because that team's lone representative was listed at the top. Or, maybe because he didn't list any Minnesota players (I believe that to be a mistake), he was trying to hype Wisconsin, or was it Purdue, or was it any of the other teams included in that list?

I realize Porter was a big time recruit and stuff...but he averaged 9.9pts and 6.8 rebounds. Yes, he is a solid pro prospect, much better than a lot of others, but I'm surprised he is on here, especially coming from a traditionally weak conference (though the SEC was deeper last year)

Anyone else agree or disagree with this? I didn't watch him play much, so I could be way off

Note: I don't know who else I'd add, and I'm not even advocating for Murphy ahead of him.

Travis and Murphy should be on that list.

Others that could be on;
Ward, M St.
Cowen, MD
Lawson, KS
Caroline, NV
Pipkins, UMASS
Adams, UConn

Travis and Murphy should be on that list.

Others that could be on;
Ward, M St.
Cowen, MD
Lawson, KS
Caroline, NV
Pipkins, UMASS
Adams, UConn

Wow, didn't realize he forgot Lawson. You could make an argument he should be #1 based on his numbers two years ago.

Top Bottom