Athlon: The Most Important Player on Every Big Ten Team in 2018 (MN: O.J. Smith, DT)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Minnesota: O.J. Smith, DT

While a 3-star recruit, Smith was deemed worthy enough to be brought into the Alabama football program. That’s like being hand-picked to dine with modern-day college football royalty.

Unfortunately, things didn’t work out in Tuscaloosa, but where he failed in the SEC, he may thrive in the Big Ten. That’s the hope P.J. Fleck has, anyway. A 6-foot-2, 309-pound behemoth, Smith looks to help solidify the inside of the Golden Gophers’ defensive line where he will replace Steven Richardson, who is trying to make the Los Angeles Chargers' roster.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/most-important-player-every-big-ten-team-2018

Go Gophers!!

Well, that's one way to look at it.

It all comes down to definitions. how do you define "important" in the context of a college football team?

In one sense, you could say the starting QB for almost any FB team is the most 'important' player because of the role of the position.

Now, with the Gophers, considering the uncertainty around the QB position, there may be more pressure on the defense to come through - but in that case,

I would tend to say the most 'important' player on the defense is Winfield. If he is 100% healthy, Winfield can be the swiss army knife on the defense - move him from corner to safety to linebacker depending on the opponent and situation.

I have a hard time saying Smith is the most important player when he hasn't set foot on the field yet.

I find it odd the lynch pin of our season is a transfer DT

I would argue it's Tanner Morgan, but the QB is too easy of spot, but I believe in this case, the shoe fits

And if you don't want to pick QB the options to me are:

Rodney Smith or Winfield

Yep, I'd have gone with the QB, the LT protecting the QB, or Rodney Smith with absence of Brooks.

Defensively, good arguments could be made for Winfield, Barber, Coughlin, Otemwo, Thomas, or just about anyone that could potentially improve the secondary.

I hope OJ plays awesomely. But to call him a MVP is lazy and possibly insulting. His entire FBS statistical career could be summed up as...

RS Senior
1 tackle against ULM
1 tackle against WKU

This is how I think Athlon went with Minnesota's MVP.
=============================
1) Fleck coaches there, right? Google roster.
2) Wow, they got a transfer from Alabama!
3) <s>Investigate potential MVPs.</s>

I hope OJ plays awesomely. But to call him a MVP is lazy and possibly insulting. His entire FBS statistical career could be summed up as...

RS Senior
1 tackle against ULM
1 tackle against WKU

He's not the MVP... yet.

Maybe I should have wrote "MIP" instead. Are MIP and MVP separate things? Are they kinda like how there's a "trending now" and "popular..." in Netflix?

I wonder if Athlon is hiring? Sound like a sweet gig if you don't have to do any research or know anything about the game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder if Athlon is hiring? Sound like a sweet gig if you don't have to do any research or know anything about the game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Judging from the astute analysis provided in this article, you are likely too old to be considered. It appears Athlon is printing student projects from Ms. Murphy's 8th grade English class.

RS Senior
1 tackle against ULM
1 tackle against WKU

:clap:

Go Gophers!!

When i think of PJ's 2017 offensive play calling.....I am reminded why the MVP might on the D side of the ball. For whatever reason PJ uesd the play calls of the past regime.

When i think of PJ's 2017 offensive play calling.....I am reminded why the MVP might on the D side of the ball. For whatever reason PJ uesd the play calls of the past regime.

Maybe because he had a worse QB than the previous regime? Whatever...I don't know.

I don’t think OJ is necessarily the MIP, but replacing 3 senior DTs will have a pretty big impact on how successful we are.

Every player is pretty important. Single most important would have to be the guy that touches the ball the most; more opportunities for failure or success.

Most important player, in my opinion:

1. QB1 (Morgan or Annexstad)
2. Rodney Smith
3. Antoine Winfield Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom