International basketball-brawls: Centennial Team vs. University of Minnesota Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ABS-CBN.com:

A couple of days after the now-infamous FIBA World Cup Qualifiers match-turned-all out brawl between Gilas Pilipinas and Australia, it's still pretty much on top of the headlines.

Understandable, given that the fiasco caught worldwide attention and will definitely have some serious implications on both sides moving forward.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first basketball-related melee to happen involving professional Pinoy hoopers.

Pinoys are some of the most passionate fans and players when it comes to basketball, so it's quite a regular occurrence that tempers begin to flare and tension begins to rise.

On these certain occassions, things got out of hand, fast.

Here are a few past instances where throwing passes escalated into throwing hands, resulting in an all-out basketbrawl.

Centennial Team vs. University of Minnesota Golden Gophers (1998)

Before there was Gilas, there was the Centennial Team.

Composed of legends such as Alvin Patrimonio, Vergel Meneses, Jun Limpot, Olsen Racela, Johnny Abbarientos, and many more, the Centennial Team was the Philippines' version of The Dream Team, and they were set to compete in the 1998 Asian Games.

In preparation for the Asian Games, the Centennial Team went on an exhibition tour in the United States, taking on a number of US NCAA teams in the Midwest.

The final stop for the Centennial Team was a showdown against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, which also featured a bench-clearing brawl.

Early into the first half, the Philippines' Andy Siegle and Minnesota's Miles Tarver were ejected after figuring in a fist fight.

Later on, a scuffle erupted in front of the Philippine bench, with Minnesota's Terrance Simmons also getting thrown out.

The Golden Gophers went on to win 98-55, and the Centennial Team went on to finish with a bronze medal in the 1998 Bangkok Asian Games.

https://sports.abs-cbn.com/basketba...alia-latest-history-pinoy-basket-brawls-43937

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like the basketball programs from the Philippines have a little bit of a history.

Refs need to be on top of this stuff. That swat at Tarver in the first part should have been a flagrant even if it didnt connect.

Also, what was that guy thinking for messing with Nathaniel.

I was at that game, 10 year old me thought it was great. Think the gophs won by about 40

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

For me this thread brings back the horrible memories of 1972 vs Ohio State.

Top Bottom