A national college football injury report may be coming soon if BT ADs get their way

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

The Big Ten has asked the NCAA to consider developing a national college football injury reporting system in reaction to the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that allows states to legalize sports gambling.

The conference's athletic directors proposed to the NCAA Football Oversight Committee in June what would be a first-ever weekly national injury reporting mandate. The ADs claim an injury report is necessary to protect the integrity of the sport.

Such a move would alter one of the most ingrained and long-standing traditions in college football -- coaches concealing injuries. From the earliest days of the sport, the decision to release such information has typically been made by the coaches themselves, sometimes flying in the face of fair play and transparency.

With the cross-country growth of sports betting in its infancy, it is becoming imperative that injury information be accurate and widely available.

"We have to be more transparent," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said during a National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics panel last week. "In football, we're going to kill this [idea of] gamesmanship around injuries."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-be-coming-soon-if-big-ten-ads-get-their-way/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder about the legal ramifications. Unless it's just a "out", "doubtful", "questionable", "in" type thing without a description. HIPPA laws prevent health issues from being disclosed without permission. In the pros, the collective bargaining agreement automatically grants permission. In college, there isn't an across the board equivalent, so I'd think it'd be up to each player.

Good, I support it.

If it means the 2-deeps actually indicate who's going to play in the game, I'm for it. Either put out a real 2-deep, or don't even bother.

I don’t understand why the Big Ten would feel a need to facilitate a gambler’s ability to make better bets. That’s nearly the most asinine thing I’ve read today.

The Big Ten ought to concern itself with...oh I don’t know, better officiating, including the strictest background checks, credit rating, debt status, and the like to help guard against the influence of bettors, rather than increasing the administrative burden on coaching staff.

It would also help if they publicly called for their officials to consistently enforce the rules, for example the spearing of Mitch Leidner in 2015 that helped derail an upstart Gopher bid in Columbus. That sort of thing...might make people think there are influence peddlers in the Big Ten hierarchy. Not good for the sport. Rather, we se the throwing up of the PR squad and circling the wagons every time an indefensible call is made or not made.

Gamesmanship is a time honored part of the game and helps the little guys defeat the Ohio
States of the world. I hope teams give this as much respect as it’s due and throw a lot of rubbish out there.

I don’t understand why the Big Ten would feel a need to facilitate a gambler’s ability to make better bets. That’s nearly the most asinine thing I’ve read today.

The Big Ten ought to concern itself with...oh I don’t know, better officiating, including the strictest background checks, credit rating, debt status, and the like to help guard against the influence of bettors, rather than increasing the administrative burden on coaching staff.

It would also help if they publicly called for their officials to consistently enforce the rules, for example the spearing of Mitch Leidner in 2015 that helped derail an upstart Gopher bid in Columbus. That sort of thing...might make people think there are influence peddlers in the Big Ten hierarchy. Not good for the sport. Rather, we se the throwing up of the PR squad and circling the wagons every time an indefensible call is made or not made.

Gamesmanship is a time honored part of the game and helps the little guys defeat the Ohio
States of the world. I hope teams give this as much respect as it’s due and throw a lot of rubbish out there.

Injuries and starts for stars are valuable insider information, some people think. Maybe making the injuries public will help keep the coaches out of being bought and sold by bookies and the gambling mafia. Maybe the water boy won't be selling information to the mob. Of course I'm being a bit flip, but, gambling interests are always trying to pick up any advantage they can. The poor stiffs losing the rent money to the "house" need to be just as informed as the Vegas king-pins.

Now, with the new red-shirting rules, maybe some young five star types will be turned loose the final few games of the season without giving up their r.s. status. Starting lineups will need to be announced a few days in advance so nobody has any inside information. You can never trust the bookies or the poor stiffs blowing the paycheck still one more time on inside information. Gambling is going to save college football from itself only IF there can be complete transparency with all the inside information that is currently being hidden, leaked and peddled. Will they be taking bets at the will call windows at TCF BANK STADIUM?

Injuries and starts for stars are valuable insider information, some people think. Maybe making the injuries public will help keep the coaches out of being bought and sold by bookies and the gambling mafia. Maybe the water boy won't be selling information to the mob. Of course I'm being a bit flip, but, gambling interests are always trying to pick up any advantage they can. The poor stiffs losing the rent money to the "house" need to be just as informed as the Vegas king-pins.

Now, with the new red-shirting rules, maybe some young five star types will be turned loose the final few games of the season without giving up their r.s. status. Starting lineups will need to be announced a few days in advance so nobody has any inside information. You can never trust the bookies or the poor stiffs blowing the paycheck still one more time on inside information. Gambling is going to save college football from itself only IF there can be complete transparency with all the inside information that is currently being hidden, leaked and peddled. Will they be taking bets at the will call windows at TCF BANK STADIUM?

I’ll never feel sorry for a gambler. Again, why do we care about that industry or it’s addicts? It
doesn’t compute...It’s GAMBLING. The house (nearly) always wins. Don’t spend money on things one can’t afford.

If I were a multimillion dollar per year coach...I’d plant false information all season long. Fine me. If it helps me win games I’m going to do it. It’s a simple equation.

I’ll never feel sorry for a gambler. Again, why do we care about that industry or it’s addicts? It
doesn’t compute...It’s GAMBLING. The house (nearly) always wins. Don’t spend money on things one can’t afford.

If I were a multimillion dollar per year coach...I’d plant false information all season long. Fine me. If it helps me win games I’m going to do it. It’s a simple equation.

Don't disagree with your assessment if you were a coach.

As far as the B1G, I'm guessing it's the same as why the NFL cooperates - money. They envision more gambling meaning more people watching games meaning more viewers of BTN meaning more $$$$$ for the member schools. Anything they can do to get more people gambling on their games gives them more invested viewers. Especially as attendance is waning across the board, they need to find ways to get more viewers.

I think Wren makes a good point, also. The more transparent it is, the less likely you have someone paying a player to be "injured" or "healthy" then play or sit. If gambling is going to happen, doing everything possible to keep it a safe distance from the game on the field is a good thing.

Top Bottom