Shama: Results Mixed on U Season Tickets

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

It looks like Golden Gopher ticket buyers are excited about new women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen, but not as much with football’s P.J. Fleck.

Back in January of 2017 athletic director Mark Coyle hired Fleck to upgrade football recruiting and compete for Big Ten championships. After 18 months the 37-year-old Fleck has improved the recruiting, according to experts who rank major college programs. The winning? Minnesota’s record was 2-7 in Fleck’s first Big Ten season and no one is predicting a big year in 2018. However, Fleck boosters, and there are many, believe the Gophers will be competing for West Division and Big Ten titles in a few years.

The University of Minnesota Athletic Department reports that as of June 21 public season football ticket sales totals have declined from 2017. The number of accounts on June 21 of this year was 6,031 and the total number of tickets was 20,673. That compared with June 21, 2017 totals of 6,457 and 21,418.

How did the Gophers do in total football public season tickets last year? They sold 22,131 public season tickets.

Public season ticket prices for football begin at $249, compared to the least expensive price of $310 a year ago. The DQ Club season ticket price has been reduced by $300.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

First and foremost I'm fully on board with the new Coach, boat rowing, and improving the quality of both plays and players on the field.

I'm no doctor and I don't play one on TV but my own self-diagnosis is that I'm still dealing with how the coaching change went down...and clearly a step back on the field last year...and it has affected my excitement around the Gophers.

Fortunately for me it's a temporary condition that August should address in the short term...and a decent or better 2018 season would probably be the cure.

I'm guessing for others the "fire and hire" coupled with the step back on the field last year...plus even with a modest reduction it's a lot of money for most (certainly the Billd's)...and the 800 or so season ticket holders pulled the plug.

As several on the board say "Just win baby" and all will be well. Hopefully that starts this year.

426 pulled the plug. Don’t think it was “how things went down”. That’s a pretty low number if the product was as bad as implied. Just normal attrition for a 5-7 year.

426 pulled the plug. Don’t think it was “how things went down”. That’s a pretty low number if the product was as bad as implied. Just normal attrition for a 5-7 year.
Yep. Doesn't matter who the coach or AD is. Win and they will come.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I assume the ticket office at least tries to find out why people drop season tickets.

That is my question - what reason(s) did people give for dropping tickets? If most people dropped due to the cost of tickets/donations, that tells you one thing. If a majority dropped due to discontent with the team's on-field performance, that tells you something else. If they dropped their tickets because they're not buying what Fleck is selling, that tells you something different.

The raw numbers to me don't mean much without some context. If a solid majority are dropping because of cost - then someone at MN has to have the stones to tell the powers-that-be, "we're lowering our ticket prices and cutting the required donation." the loss in revenue could (and I think should) easily be off-set if you increase your ticket base. More butts in seats - better atmosphere - and more beer and food being sold. Get 'em in the door - get 'em drunk - win a game - send 'em home happy. that's my formula for increased attendance.

I assume the ticket office at least tries to find out why people drop season tickets.

That is my question - what reason(s) did people give for dropping tickets? If most people dropped due to the cost of tickets/donations, that tells you one thing. If a majority dropped due to discontent with the team's on-field performance, that tells you something else. If they dropped their tickets because they're not buying what Fleck is selling, that tells you something different.

The raw numbers to me don't mean much without some context. If a solid majority are dropping because of cost - then someone at MN has to have the stones to tell the powers-that-be, "we're lowering our ticket prices and cutting the required donation." the loss in revenue could (and I think should) easily be off-set if you increase your ticket base. More butts in seats - better atmosphere - and more beer and food being sold. Get 'em in the door - get 'em drunk - win a game - send 'em home happy. that's my formula for increased attendance.

You are Wren like.

You are Wren like.

He didn't once mention Big Ten wins, Prexy K, or use all caps. Come on. Not even close. But Wren is growing on me, so don't take this the wrong way, Wren.

I'm not even sure if that is the case.... I'm not one to do the "OMG ONLY AT THE U" thing because university's everywhere are weird... but the U really doesn't do things you'd think would be obvious at times.

I know they have that whole fan committee thing starting last year but even that seems like an insider's / friends of the athletic department thing.

I tell the story all the time, and I'll tell it again. I got a survey saying something like "Hey how do you like all these benefits you get at your score level?!?!?!" I had never heard of some of the benefits that apparently they just didn't bother telling me about.... WTF. And then in the same survey they asked me what I thought of benefits that I did not qualify for... who does that? People who don't get marketing on the most basic level... or just aren't trying.

He didn't once mention Big Ten wins, Prexy K, or use all caps. Come on. Not even close. But Wren is growing on me, so don't take this the wrong way, Wren.

I can hardly wait until the 2018 Conference Season has been completed so I can pinpoint EXACTLY what kind of Big Ten coaching ranking P J Fleck has after two full seasons. He will be no better...and NO worse than what his Big Ten record says he is at that point in time. I will be precise and I will be exact. It is a very important season for P J Fleck. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER! It is a very important season for the GOPHER. Every season is important for the players. "... Every season tells a story, don't it?..."

P J Fleck gets the credit for everything that happens. P J Fleck gets the credit for everything ever since he became the coach. He will get the credit and the blame for all that happens for as long as he is the coach. Funny what signing a contract can do for you...and do to you. We all deserve exactly what P J Fleck does while he is the University of Minnesota Football Coach. What a trip it might become. "...Well, don't you know...about the bird...every body says that the bird is the WORD..." Bye, bye birdie... ( 0 :

I'm not even sure if that is the case.... I'm not one to do the "OMG ONLY AT THE U" thing because university's everywhere are weird... but the U really doesn't do things you'd think would be obvious at times.

I know they have that whole fan committee thing starting last year but even that seems like an insider's / friends of the athletic department thing.

I tell the story all the time, and I'll tell it again. I got a survey saying something like "Hey how do you like all these benefits you get at your score level?!?!?!" I had never heard of some of the benefits that apparently they just didn't bother telling me about.... WTF. And then in the same survey they asked me what I thought of benefits that I did not qualify for... who does that? People who don't get marketing on the most basic level... or just aren't trying.

I dropped tickets for the 2018 season and the ticket office did enquire if I would share my reasons. Hard to get to games from Houston and the home schedule is so bad we just couldn't justify this year. Hope to be back in 2019. The ticket office said they had heard a lot of feedback regarding the schedule this year. They did all they could do to try to persuade me to renew, even holding my tickets well after the official renewal date.

I dropped tickets for the 2018 season and the ticket office did enquire if I would share my reasons. Hard to get to games from Houston and the home schedule is so bad we just couldn't justify this year. Hope to be back in 2019. The ticket office said they had heard a lot of feedback regarding the schedule this year. They did all they could do to try to persuade me to renew, even holding my tickets well after the official renewal date.

I figured schedule would be a factor this year. Our home games are not good outside of Iowa. Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana? Yeesh. Next year we get Wisconsin and Nebraska back (along with Penn State), and the year after have Iowa, BYU and Michigan so expect things will pick up if the team can add wins on the field and we avoid jacking up prices again.

Why does everybody say the home schedule isn't good?

Fresno State is supposed to be a really good opponent; possibly top 25; Tedford is doing incredible things in year 2.
Miami is said to have a stacked roster, some people expecting huge things from them.
NMSU has been called an up and coming team.

Next to Tedford, Brohm may have been the most acclaimed year one coach in the nation.
Indiana is another team with a year two coach who people are saying will be a tough out.
Northwestern is another team some see as top 25 - would be fun to see us upset them in person for once.

I'm sure cost is the primary reason, and I'm sure they know it. My guess is that, despite the stagnant to lower sales, the U is making more money than they were before the donation program began. Building a fan base over the long term has never appeared to be their goal. They're about doing whatever is necessary to increase revenues ever so slightly over the year before.

The only reason we considered dropping season tickets is because of the "donation." In my opinion, Teague really blew it. We had one really good season and he went all in and got too greedy, rather than letting the excitement and demand build. Thankfully Coyle has backed down the increases, or we would like be out.

Why does everybody say the home schedule isn't good?

Fresno State is supposed to be a really good opponent; possibly top 25; Tedford is doing incredible things in year 2.
Miami is said to have a stacked roster, some people expecting huge things from them.
NMSU has been called an up and coming team.

Next to Tedford, Brohm may have been the most acclaimed year one coach in the nation.
Indiana is another team with a year two coach who people are saying will be a tough out.
Northwestern is another team some see as top 25 - would be fun to see us upset them in person for once.

My point about the schedule being poor is less about the quality of teams and more about the perception of their brands. The (vast?) majority of football fans know next to nothing about the teams we play apart from their names. Fresno, Miami, New Mexico State, Indiana and Purdue are, for better or worse, seen as inferior opponents to Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State simply because they don't have the same level of brand.

After decades of being ST holders, we decided that we would drop our ST unless we found someone to share them with us. We finally were able to do that. Being retired, we will be doing some travel and will miss some of the home games. We missed the deadline to renew but the ticket office worked with us with the late renewal and also kept the Gopher Points, which we had accumulated, intact. The rep said that some ST holders dropped due to losing the donation deduction with the new tax laws as well as the cost of the donation.

I had to go down from four tickets to two due the other three people bowing out (one for health reasons).
I’m hoping the ticket office will let me move to the non donation area because it’s more dough than I care to spend by myself.

All one needs to realize is what happened late 2015 and also the aftermath of the seat donation after 2015.

TCF Bank Stadium Attendance
Capacity: 50,805 (2009-pres.)
Year Att. Gm. Largest Crowd Avg.
2009 355,635 7 Seven Tied (50,805) 50,805
2010 346,593 7 Iowa (50,805) 49,513
2011 333,996 7 Miami (Ohio) (49,950) 47,714
2012 326,456 7 Syracuse (50,805) 46,637
2013 334,581 7 Wisconsin (53,090) 47,797
2014 335,056 7 Purdue (51,241) 47,865
2015 366,484 7 TCU (54,147) 52,355
2016 306,697 7 Iowa (49,145) 43,814
2017 310,506 7 Michigan State(47,541) 44,358

Middle Tenn State and San Jose St. both drew 47,000 plus in 2014 so name brand really isn't a huge reason for poor attendance4

My point about the schedule being poor is less about the quality of teams and more about the perception of their brands. The (vast?) majority of football fans know next to nothing about the teams we play apart from their names. Fresno, Miami, New Mexico State, Indiana and Purdue are, for better or worse, seen as inferior opponents to Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State simply because they don't have the same level of brand.

Yep. Good schedule if you're looking for a winning season for the Gophers. Bad schedule if you want to see "name brand" teams or sell tickets.

Win 7+ games and ticket sales should finally trend-up. Another 4 or 5 win season will make selling new Season Tickets for 2019 damn near impossible.

All one needs to realize is what happened late 2015 and also the aftermath of the seat donation after 2015.

2017 310,506 7 Michigan State(44,358) 47,541

Middle Tenn State and San Jose St. both drew 47,000 plus in 2014 so name brand really isn't a huge reason for poor attendance.

Pretty good point, but the Gophers were coming-off their first 8 win season since 2003 so Season Ticket sales were up around 27,000 weren't they? Now add in the "Plus one"or two deals on Iowa and tOSU and the cheap ticket deals for the Non-Conference. Means you probably can account for 5,000 to 8,000 extra tickets for each of those Non Conference Games.

They are still trying to sell some more "full bump" tickets so not surprised they haven't announced cheap deals for this years first few games.

A little disappointed though.

2017 310,506 7 Michigan State(47,541) 44,358

Middle Tenn State and San Jose St. both drew 47,000 plus in 2014 so name brand really isn't a huge reason for poor attendance4

I don't know how much 2015 to 16 was donation as much as 14 was a great season.... 15 had a great schedule and fans came to the games and ... they were terrible games... Jerry left...

I don't know how much 2015 to 16 was donation as much as 14 was a great season.... 15 had a great schedule and fans came to the games and ... they were terrible games... Jerry left...

The way the Jerry and Company coaching staff let the offense flounder in 2015 makes me wonder--- did the Kill & Co. expect to leave following the 2014 seson but something fell thru.

The way the Jerry and Company coaching staff let the offense flounder in 2015 makes me wonder--- did the Kill & Co. expect to leave following the 2014 seson but something fell thru.

Hard to imagine that in the wake of a plan to leave falling through ... that they would choose to do poorly, that wouldn't help / doesn't make any sense dude.

Also I can't imagine any consequential school picking them up either. Jerry did a nice job turning things around for sure, but he didn't build a resume to take off for a better place either.

I know our group almost fell apart in 2016 due to the donation. That was the second of three planned increases. The first year of increases, 2015, was more palatable coming off a fun year, with a great schedule coming up. With the second increase in 2016, suddenly our cost went from $300 to $550 or so in two years. Too much. Gopher football season tickets went from the best deal in town to overpriced in the blink of an eye.

We hung in there. But, goddam, it costs too much. Screw the loyalty program. Reduce prices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lol, I mean, I'm surprised that they only lost 400 people with the tax change. Will be interesting to see what happens if the Gophers have another poor year and people feel the actual impact of the lost deduction. Wouldn't be surprised if they're down 1000.

Shama states a fact but is drawing the wrong conclusion. There are a myriad of reasons why but Imwould imagine the tax deductibility of the donation portion and the lack of marquee games are the biggest factors. Not that games against Northwestern or Purdue would be no fun to watch just that historically they haven’t been as big of a draw. In a lot of people’s minds I am sure they’re thinking why get season tickets when there should be plenty of seats available. One of the main reasons to get season tickets is to guarantee a good seat or to have all your seats together. People are making a economic decision.

Top Bottom