All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

mkAz

Reaction score
Gophers have offered Chet Holmgren. I like that they are offering early.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MQJb0S0jyLU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kid can play. Can shoot and will block some shots. Good feet and a good athlete. He does need to start drinking protein shakes 24/7.

Whoa, I was curious what he weighed and found out that he's 6'11, 185 lbs. He's got to get serious about making eating a full time job now if he wants to be physically ready to contribute when he gets to college. Forget the weights, he just needs to be in a caloric surplus to add some mass to his frame before he takes the time to start lifting. Lifting's great and all but it really isn't going to do him much good if he isn't eating the part to fuel any training he may start doing.

It sounds like he has some skills, but reality is that he has to add about 50-60 pounds in the next 3 years. Definitely has some work ahead of him!

I think his dad was 7’ and 195 when he signed his Gopher offer

Whoa, I was curious what he weighed and found out that he's 6'11, 185 lbs. He's got to get serious about making eating a full time job now if he wants to be physically ready to contribute when he gets to college. Forget the weights, he just needs to be in a caloric surplus to add some mass to his frame before he takes the time to start lifting. Lifting's great and all but it really isn't going to do him much good if he isn't eating the part to fuel any training he may start doing.

It sounds like he has some skills, but reality is that he has to add about 50-60 pounds in the next 3 years. Definitely has some work ahead of him!
He's only in 9th grade, plenty of time to add muscle and weight

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

There's no doubt he's going to need to add weight, but come on, he's what 15 years old? People are expecting him to add 50-60 pounds by the time he's 18?

It takes many NBA players of any position, especially big guys, till their mid-20s at least to mature physically.

Kid may not have fully hit puberty yet. Give him some time. He might still be growing. Nice that we’re in early on a Minnesota kid for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holmgren appears to have some skills - but I'm not sure he will ever grow into a traditional post player. I see him more as a PF or maybe even SF type of player. If you're going to play a kid like Holmgren, you would have to have another banger on the team to do the dirty work under the basket. Leave Holmgren free to roam and use his mobility, which is one of his best attributes.

Holmgren appears to have some skills - but I'm not sure he will ever grow into a traditional post player. I see him more as a PF or maybe even SF type of player. If you're going to play a kid like Holmgren, you would have to have another banger on the team to do the dirty work under the basket. Leave Holmgren free to roam and use his mobility, which is one of his best attributes.

Seriously?

Seriously?

why not. If you can run the court and shoot the 3, do it. Just because a kid is 6'11", that doesn't mean he has to be a post player or power forward. Instead of making him play inside and getting knocked around by heavier, stronger players, get him out in space and let him shoot over a shorter defender. I watched this kid play in the state tournament, and I see him as a perimeter player in college.

UNLESS he puts on a ton of bulk in the next four years. But, looking as his body type, I suspect he's never going to be really bulky or muscular. which is fine - he could create some real mismatches.

Now, you can still use him on the inside some on defense - but I see him more as the middle guy in a 2-3 zone, or coming over from the weak side to block shots.

Hey, I could be wrong. But that's just my reaction to what I've seen at this point. Obviously, a lot can change in 3 years.

why not. If you can run the court and shoot the 3, do it. Just because a kid is 6'11", that doesn't mean he has to be a post player or power forward. Instead of making him play inside and getting knocked around by heavier, stronger players, get him out in space and let him shoot over a shorter defender. I watched this kid play in the state tournament, and I see him as a perimeter player in college.

UNLESS he puts on a ton of bulk in the next four years. But, looking as his body type, I suspect he's never going to be really bulky or muscular. which is fine - he could create some real mismatches.

Now, you can still use him on the inside some on defense - but I see him more as the middle guy in a 2-3 zone, or coming over from the weak side to block shots.

Hey, I could be wrong. But that's just my reaction to what I've seen at this point. Obviously, a lot can change in 3 years.

Your position isn't where you fit best on offense but who you can guard. He's not guarding wings on the regular basis.

Your position isn't where you fit best on offense but who you can guard. He's not guarding wings on the regular basis.

KD/KAT/etc all can guard wings. Is this guy KD or KAT? No, but he does have a similar body. Neither guy is ripped, both are pretty lanky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t see him defending a SF like Coffey So defensively he will be guarding a big man. Offensively he appears to really have a nice touch and looks like he as a lot to offer with an inside and outside game. Glad we offered early.

Are you implying that you can't run the court and shoot 3s if you're playing PF? If this dude is in the lineup and you're calling him a SF, that means you have another PF and C on the court. Who guards the other team's SF? If he is better suited to defend PFs, which it looks like he is, then play him there and let him play to his strengths on offense. I don't understand some peoples' obsession with playing someone at SF simply because they can shoot. Why create a defensive liability and reduce the amount of ball handlers on the floor? Why not let a PF spot up and shoot 3s if they want?

Let’s just call him a basketball player who may create mismatches on the other end. Plenty of offensively challenged players in college basketball he may be able to guard.

Are you implying that you can't run the court and shoot 3s if you're playing PF? If this dude is in the lineup and you're calling him a SF, that means you have another PF and C on the court. Who guards the other team's SF? If he is better suited to defend PFs, which it looks like he is, then play him there and let him play to his strengths on offense. I don't understand some peoples' obsession with playing someone at SF simply because they can shoot. Why create a defensive liability and reduce the amount of ball handlers on the floor? Why not let a PF spot up and shoot 3s if they want?

I'm talking offense only. defense is a separate issue. what position, or role you play on offense has no impact on what you do defensively. Or it shouldn't. when you're on offense, you put people in the best position for them to score. when you're on defense, you put people in the best position to stop the other team from scoring. There's no reason why someone can't be a SF - or fill that type of role - on offense, and play PF - or fill that type of role - on defense. It's not like there's some rule or law that says the PF on offense also has to be a PF on defense. At least not as far as I know. Especially today, when 3-point shooting has become more important at all levels of the game. If a guy like Holmgren is (theoretically) your best outside shooter, then put him outside on offense and let him shoot. On defense, if he's the best fit in the middle, then he can be a C or post on defense.

Obviously, this only works with a versatile player who can fill different roles.

Top Bottom