All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Eleven Warriors: TOP-RANKED 2021 CENTER CHET HOLMGREN TAKING OFFICIAL VISIT TO OHIO STATE THIS WEEKEND

He's a 7-foot, 190-pound native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, whose father played for the Golden Gophers. Holmgren picked up an Ohio State offer on June 17. Gonzaga, Purdue, Texas, Minnesota, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Tennessee and West Virginia are also among the programs that have extended him scholarship offers.

With his unusual size, Holmgren has one of the most uncommon games among all high school basketball players.

He averaged 18.6 points and 11 rebounds as a sophomore at Minnehaha Academy, using every inch of wingspan to add 5.5 blocks per game. Holmgren has shown comfortability off the bounce and pulling up from beyond the 3-point line, confounding talent evaluators.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...ing-official-visit-to-ohio-state-this-weekend

Go Gophers!!

The white buffalo, will he get away? Pitino will certainly give it his all, but that would be an all time signing...

Decent chance Suggs commits to Gonzaga next weekend during the visit. Suggs specifically planned this weekend because he has two really good buddies that are Gonzaga commits (Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther) that will be there that weekend as well (it is also Gonzaga's "Midnight Madness"). If not then, after football season.

This is Chet's first visit. With him being two years out from college and with how much his recruitment has blown up, there is no likely commitment.

Last edited:

Decent chance Suggs commits to Gonzaga next weekend during the visit. Suggs specifically planned this weekend because he has two really good buddies that are Gonzaga commits (Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther) that will be there that weekend as well (it is also Gonzaga's "Midnight Madness"). If not then, after football season.

This is Chet's first visit. With him being two years out from college and with how much his recruitment has blown up, there is no concern for a commitment.

I assumed a Suggs verbal to Gonzaga would have already happened last month, so yeah if he is ever going to commit there it will be on this official. Definitely right on chet, he's a long way a way from choosing a school and his options are basically unlimited at this point.

I assumed a Suggs verbal to Gonzaga would have already happened last month, so yeah if he is ever going to commit there it will be on this official. Definitely right on chet, he's a long way a way from choosing a school and his options are basically unlimited at this point.

Correct, Chet doesn’t have to settle for Gonzaga. He could go to the U!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is Chet's first visit. With him being two years out from college and with how much his recruitment has blown up, there is no concern for a commitment.

Its crazy how hes had Gonzaga locked in for so long. Not only did the U not have a chance, neither did any of the blue bloods

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Bossi:

1. COULD CHET HOLMGREN BE NO. 1 IN 2021?

Now that I’ve had a day to travel, rest up and take some time away from last weekend’s USA Basketball minicamp, one thought keeps running through my head: Chet Holmgren deserves serious consideration for the top spot in the 2021 class.

Look, saying that a guy who already ranks No. 4 nationally should be considered for the top spot in his class ranking isn’t exactly going out on a limb. I get that. And, of those ranked ahead of him only current No. 3 Patrick Baldwin Jr. – who played quite well himself, as he knocked down one deep shot after another -- was in attendance. It should also be noted that No. 5 Jabari Smith was outstanding as well.

But back to Holmgren for a minute because he was ridiculous over the weekend. He’s very skinny and there are concerns about his strength, but I’m more focused on what he can do and the simple fact is that 7-footers who can handle, shoot and protect the rim like him don’t come along often. Not only that, he’s got a confidence about him that is tough to deny.

I’m looking forward to see what current No. 1 Jonathan Kuminga and No. 2 Paolo Banchero have in store for us this season. But, if it was purely up to me, I’d be real tempted to go ahead and move Holmgren to No. 1 sooner than later.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...play-chet-holmgren-decommits-kennedy-chandler

Go Gophers!!

Chet Holmgren continues to turn heads on recruiting trail. Will Kentucky get involved?

The summer of Chet Holmgren was clearly no fluke.

The 7-foot, 190-pound high school prospect who took the recruiting circuit by storm and rocketed up the 2021 rankings over the past few months was back at it again this past weekend at the USA Basketball minicamp in Colorado Springs.

His unique style of play left his peers (and their parents) shaking their heads and chuckling in disbelief.

The summer of Chet Holmgren was clearly no fluke.

The 7-foot, 190-pound high school prospect who took the recruiting circuit by storm and rocketed up the 2021 rankings over the past few months was back at it again this past weekend at the USA Basketball minicamp in Colorado Springs.

His unique style of play left his peers (and their parents) shaking their heads and chuckling in disbelief.

KENTUCKY INTEREST?
The Herald-Leader was told last month that Kentucky was starting to get involved in the recruitment, but that interest apparently hasn’t made it to Holmgren and his family yet. Both the star recruit and his father, David Holmgren, said that — as of Saturday night — they have not heard from anyone on UK’s coaching staff.

Holmgren did say that he was “pretty sure” his coaches have had some contact with the Kentucky staff, and he noted that a couple of official UK basketball accounts recently followed him on social media. Holmgren and his father both said they’d be open to hearing from the Wildcats and that they haven’t reached the narrowing-down stage of the recruiting process.

“They’ve almost had two undefeated years in a decade, which nobody does in college,” Holmgren said of UK. “They’re just great at what they do. How they funnel guys into the NBA, how they prepare people for the NBA and just make them overall professionals.”

That’s obviously the stage Holmgren aspires to reach a few years from now.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article236310643.html

Go Gophers!!

I expect Chet to be a 2 year college player just because of the weight issues you mentioned. His skill set for his size is incredible though.

If Chet could add 20 lbs over the next 2 season he would be 210lbs. If he could add another 15 in 1 year of college. 7' 225lbs I could see him get leave. I think his ideal NBA weight is probably 240, as a Dirk type face up player.

If Chet could add 20 lbs over the next 2 season he would be 210lbs. If he could add another 15 in 1 year of college. 7' 225lbs I could see him get leave. I think his ideal NBA weight is probably 240, as a Dirk type face up player.

Durant came into the NBA at 7’ 225# and I think he did ok.

Durant's NBA combine measurements say 6'9" without shoes, 6-10.25 in shoes. 215 lbs. With an almost 7-5 wingspan.
I believe he probably has grown an inch or so since joining the league.

per Shooter:

As reported months ago, it’s still a good bet that Minnehaha Academy senior Jalen Suggs will accept a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. And that junior teammate Chet Holmgren will accept a tender to Gonzaga the following year.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

As reported months ago, it’s still a good bet that Minnehaha Academy senior Jalen Suggs will accept a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga. And that junior teammate Chet Holmgren will accept a tender to Gonzaga the following year.

Go Gophers!!
If this is the case, Pitino needs to move on and recruit guys who want to be here. No need to waste each others time.

Durant came into the NBA at 7’ 225# and I think he did ok.
Durant is literally the best draft pick in the last 12 years. You know how many skinny tall guys have flopped since he was drafted?

He is a very slightly built young man. He will add 20 lbs just through physical maturation and maybe another 15 via moderate weight training, but there is only so much his narrow bone structure will hold. Thompson seems to be put together a little better.

per Shooter:

Jalen Suggs’ decision to attend No. 1 Gonzaga was made months ago. Look for Minnehaha Academy teammate Chet Holmgren to follow a year from now.

Go Gophers!!

Jalen won’t be there any longer (if he attends, at all)

I want no parts of this guy, quintessential HS baller. Would get rocked by Big 10 play. Gonzaga can have him.
I hear you but he will put on weight, likely wont be one and done, and would likely avg 5 blocks a game as a freshman. Probably will end up in spokane but would be nice to land a legacy player of his skill. Seems more humble than suggs since his game has only recently really taken off.

He may not be a banger compared to other B1G centers, but other B1G centers will struggle guarding him as well. I think his size will be enough to hold his own defensively - even if he gets pushed around some - and his offense will be very tough on defenses. I'd take him in a heartbeat and would be proud if he wants to stay home.

A 7ft ball player who can block shots, shoot 3's and has guard like ball skills is not a typical HS player who falls apart in college. His skill set will only get magnified for the better the higher level he goes. Non-athletic big men who can't shoot outside are who get exposed. The biggest thing the Gophers will need to get him is to make sure we have some muscle down low that can allow Chet to gaurd smaller players. Don't want that body to have to gaurd 6'10" 270lbs.

Top Bottom