All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

he does not need to add 70+ pounds to play in the big ten

He doesn't even need 70+ to play in the NBA. Failure to add a ton of strength will limit his ceiling in the NBA, but it won't prevent him from getting there.

He doesn't even need 70+ to play in the NBA. Failure to add a ton of strength will limit his ceiling in the NBA, but it won't prevent him from getting there.

+1

If he's not ranked in the top 10 in the country by the time he exits high school, I would be surprised.

+1

If he's not ranked in the top 10 in the country by the time he exits high school, I would be surprised.

Well if that's the case...we can't expect to get him. He's only for the Blue Bloods like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Xavier, Stanford or UNLV.

Xavier, Stanford, and UNLV do not get top 10 players.

It's a reference to a conversation regarding the 2014 class in Minnesota. The original point is top 20ish ranked kids go blue blood.

The problem with ethomasp31's point is Macura (well outside the top 100) and Travis (right around 45th) wouldn't even fit that profile. Vaughn was an interesting case with his "handlers" at the time. Tyus obviously went blue blood.

Last edited:

It's a reference to a conversation regarding the 2014 class in Minnesota. The original point is top 20ish ranked kids go blue blood.

The problem with ethomasp31's point is Macura (well outside the top 100) and Travis (right around 45th) wouldn't even fit that profile. Vaughn was an interesting case with his "handlers" at the time. Tyus obviously went blue blood.

The excuse for the Gophers and Pitino not being able to recruit any top player from Minnesota is a bunch of ----. If that is the attitude we have, we will never be anything more than a middle to bottom of the B1G team. I hope Pitino doesn't feel that way, and if he does, I hope the next guy we hire as coach doesn't. If the Gophers were to melt down and replace Pitino after this year, I would think that a new coach would have just as good of a chance to land any Minnesota kid in the 2020 class, including Suggs and Garcia, as Pitino does...especially if we land a good coach who can recruit.

About Macura, he was a late bloomer, but going into his senior year his stock was raising quickly. Pitino, at the time, thought he could shoot higher than him, and recruited him that way. It was a mistake that hurt him later on with Reuvers. The problem is that after 6 years, we've really only gotten two or three players who were as good or better than Macura. We also seem to be missing a lot of those top guys from the state who would greatly help the team. I'm not even talking about the Jones's, Trent and Vaughn....but the other guys. We are the only division 1 team in the state, and we have had lots of good players the last few years. We should be doing better.

Last year Pitino had a good class. Oturu and Coffey are both great recruits from Minnesota. I wish we had more of them. I don't think we will replace Pitino after this year unless we totally melt down or have an off court situation that calls for it. I'm not really a Pitino fan, and one reason for that is because what I expect from him, is what we have gotten from him for the last 6 years. in my opinion that isn't good enough. Marquette and Wisconsin are getting as many top Minnesota basketball players as the Gophers.

The excuse for the Gophers and Pitino not being able to recruit any top player from Minnesota is a bunch of ----. If that is the attitude we have, we will never be anything more than a middle to bottom of the B1G team. I hope Pitino doesn't feel that way, and if he does, I hope the next guy we hire as coach doesn't. If the Gophers were to melt down and replace Pitino after this year, I would think that a new coach would have just as good of a chance to land any Minnesota kid in the 2020 class, including Suggs and Garcia, as Pitino does...especially if we land a good coach who can recruit.

About Macura, he was a late bloomer, but going into his senior year his stock was raising quickly. Pitino, at the time, thought he could shoot higher than him, and recruited him that way. It was a mistake that hurt him later on with Reuvers. The problem is that after 6 years, we've really only gotten two or three players who were as good or better than Macura. We also seem to be missing a lot of those top guys from the state who would greatly help the team. I'm not even talking about the Jones's, Trent and Vaughn....but the other guys. We are the only division 1 team in the state, and we have had lots of good players the last few years. We should be doing better.

Last year Pitino had a good class. Oturu and Coffey are both great recruits from Minnesota. I wish we had more of them. I don't think we will replace Pitino after this year unless we totally melt down or have an off court situation that calls for it. I'm not really a Pitino fan, and one reason for that is because what I expect from him, is what we have gotten from him for the last 6 years. in my opinion that isn't good enough. Marquette and Wisconsin are getting as many top Minnesota basketball players as the Gophers.

What about Coffey, Hurt, and Jarvis for Top MN recruits?

What about Coffey, Hurt, and Jarvis for Top MN recruits?

Coffey was a very good recruit. Jarvis was a good recruit, and it's too bad about his situation. Oturu was a very good recruit. I really like Kalscheur as well, and think he was a very good recruit. I'm not even one of the guys who say we need to fire Pitino. I'm perfectly happy to let the season play out and see what happens. I'm not even going to flip out if we melt down the rest of the season and he doesn't lose his job. I would replace him if we do, but if we don't, there will be a lot of other people besides me saying we should get rid of him. We need to start recruiting better is what I'm saying, especially with Minnesota kids. That doesn't mean the guys you mentioned weren't good guys to get, but we just need more of them. If we don't start getting the Suggs and Garcia types of players from Minnesota, or at least feel like we have a good realistic chance at them, then we have the wrong coach. I'm a PJ Fleck guy, but after 6 years we don't start getting the top players in the state to play for the Gophers, I'll be disappointed. My hope is that all the best football players in Minnesota will be wanting to play at the U by then. Our best chances to get good basketball players are if they are from the state. It doesn't mean we can't get the Bobby Jackson's, Burton's and Leonards, but we have a better chance to get the really good ones if they are from Minnesota.

Coffey was a very good recruit. Jarvis was a good recruit, and it's too bad about his situation. Oturu was a very good recruit. I really like Kalscheur as well, and think he was a very good recruit. I'm not even one of the guys who say we need to fire Pitino. I'm perfectly happy to let the season play out and see what happens. I'm not even going to flip out if we melt down the rest of the season and he doesn't lose his job. I would replace him if we do, but if we don't, there will be a lot of other people besides me saying we should get rid of him. We need to start recruiting better is what I'm saying, especially with Minnesota kids. That doesn't mean the guys you mentioned weren't good guys to get, but we just need more of them. If we don't start getting the Suggs and Garcia types of players from Minnesota, or at least feel like we have a good realistic chance at them, then we have the wrong coach. I'm a PJ Fleck guy, but after 6 years we don't start getting the top players in the state to play for the Gophers, I'll be disappointed. My hope is that all the best football players in Minnesota will be wanting to play at the U by then. Our best chances to get good basketball players are if they are from the state. It doesn't mean we can't get the Bobby Jackson's, Burton's and Leonards, but we have a better chance to get the really good ones if they are from Minnesota.

I'd love for more MN kids to stay here too. I think Pitino has done a better job of this than in the past. He repaired a lot of broken relationships (AAU and HS) within the state that were broke prior to his arrival. I truly don't know what D1s issue is with the U, but I see it as a major problem that doesn't get enough press. Thankfully Chet isn't in that program. Hopefully Garcia will be one to break the trend of D1 kids leaving as well. Sadly poaching from our states happen more so than not. Zion got poached from SC, Herro got poached from Wisconsin, Indiana has been losing their top kids for awhile too. I think the U is unique in the fact that most top recruits are in the metro area, but they gotta do better making it a great place to be.

Here's one solution that I think could be helpful. Stop charging the MSHSL to host their state tournaments there. Host all the games there and get kids on campus, plus make it where kids go and play state tournament games. I think it can help recreate an auora and maybe have them like the barn more. Most kids don't think it's great and would rather be at the target center.

The other solution as well that has been stated and leads most discussion is of course win more and play in NCAA tournaments.

Reality is that we HAVE BEEN a middle to bottom Big Ten team for 40 years. Winning here has been an anomaly. The best players here are told that Minnesota can't win. It's not that cool to play at Minnesota. It's not impossible to get good local kids but they are tough to get because of our long term mediocrity.

As to Wisconsin getting as many good ones during the Pitino era, let's look at that claim:

Davison
Reuvers
Dearing
Illkinen

Gophers
Hurt
Johnson
Oturu
Coffey
Gabe
Omersa

I'll take the Gophers by a mile on that one.

Out of curiosity, which Minnesota kids are you most upset about? If a kid has the opportunity to go to Duke or Stanford, do you fault the coach for not "locking down the border" or maybe acknowledge the opportunity for what it is -- an unbelievable chance to go to an elite basketball/academic institution?

Add Tyler Wahl to the Wisconsin list. He is legit. Plays great D, can score, pass and rebound. Fills out the stat line for his team.

If Wahl can add an outside shot he will be an excellent college player. He has everything else.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If I were Chet or Jalen, I probably wouldn't want to go to college at a university that is 2 miles away from my high school. Those two have already been all over campus, I see them at raising canes before games.

Well, both Wisco and Lakeville North school color's are red and white. Surely not a coincidence.

Leidner being from South just proves your point even more! North kids don't go to the U. It's a bit strange.

Lakeville North is Badger country. Let's just ship-em all to whisky!

Macura would have been Pitino's first full class. He was a late bloomer, and I think Pitino thought he was going to get better players than Macura at that time, and because of that didn't recruit him as hard as he should have...and also kind of gave him an ultimatum to either commit to the Gophers or Pitino would go a different direction the summer before Macura's senior year. At that time Pitino thought he was going to get Travis and probably thought he had a shot at Tyus and other recruits rated higher than Macura. My guess is that whole east coast attitude was kind of a turn off to Macura. I've heard that the Reuvers and Macura's know each other and that may have had a impact on Reuvers recruitment as well. I don't know if they know each other or not, but I had heard that. A few years ago someone from the Lakeville North community told me that Tyler Wahl was going to be the best one of any of the Lakeville North players (Macura, Reuvers and Wahl). To me Macura was awfully good and Reuvers was pretty good also. I've only seen Wahl play a few times and zero times as a senior, but he must be pretty decent if the Badgers signed him.

I think Pitino comes across differently now than when he first got here. I couldn't stand him when he got here (I thought he was a prick), and now I think he is fine. I think he sounds engaging in interviews, and the interaction between him and his son at the Purdue game was pretty cool. If we don't make the NCAA Tournament this year, I would probably replace him if I was Coyle, but if they don't replace him, I'm not going to be upset about it. The guys from Minnesota I'm disappointing in not getting since he has been here are: Macura, Travis, Reuvers, Davison, Wright, Theo John, Jericho Sims and Matthew Hurt. Getting Hurt would have made up for all the other misses he had.

If I were Chet or Jalen, I probably wouldn't want to go to college at a university that is 2 miles away from my high school. Those two have already been all over campus, I see them at raising canes before games.

Well getting both of them would be huge for this program also. It sounds like Holmgren is going to have a lot of choices of where he wants to play after high school. I would love to have him in Maroon and Gold.

Depends how you look at it. I completely get kids wanting to do something different and go experience a new place. That's what I don't really get when people get all jacked up when we miss on a local recruit and people start to question everyone's character.

However, its also a pretty sick opportunity to play in front of your parents, family, friends and be doing it on one of the biggest stages possible (B1G basketball anyone?). I wasn't a d1 athlete and that's why I'm at work right now but I would have loved to been able to play in front of a few sets of aunts/uncles, parents, and other friends and family. It can definitely go both ways!

Depends how you look at it. I completely get kids wanting to do something different and go experience a new place. That's what I don't really get when people get all jacked up when we miss on a local recruit and people start to question everyone's character.

However, its also a pretty sick opportunity to play in front of your parents, family, friends and be doing it on one of the biggest stages possible (B1G basketball anyone?). I wasn't a d1 athlete and that's why I'm at work right now but I would have loved to been able to play in front of a few sets of aunts/uncles, parents, and other friends and family. It can definitely go both ways!

This. Maybe I’m more of a family guy than most, but I don’t understand why more kids don’t consider the joy of playing in front of their family as more important than having an “experience” somewhere else. Friends and jobs come and go, but family is always there. I guess some kids don’t have a stable family, so there is that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I have to chuckle at the Noah/Brewer photo, it's at least 12 years old!!

Go Gophers!!

I have to chuckle at the Noah/Brewer photo, it's at least 12 years old!!

Go Gophers!!

I had the same reaction to Dainja’s offer Tweet from Syracuse with Carmelo driving around Kirk Heinrich. That bad boy is 16 years old and Melo isn’t even on an NBA roster.

Top Bottom