Football/Fútbol Question

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
So, seeing that it’s World Cup time again I thought I might take in a match (once again) and try to understand what all the fuss is about. I’m looking for recommendations on intriguing matchups, insane fan bases, etc.

I’m not going to lie, I don’t like watching soccer. I liked playing it as a kid. Any advice on getting over the eye rolling flopping, perplexing running clock/extra time, slow pacing? What am I missing as far as strategy and tactical decisions that makes the game interesting? Help a non-fan become a fan.

It's a real-time game, not turn-based. Savor the flow of the game - usually teams will take control for stretches, then it will ebb the other way. Also, shots aren't the only exciting piece. Often, set ups that are oh-so-close can be just as fun. Watching players making runs off the ball and the anticipation can add to the experience.

It is true that games can bog down with injury breaks and middle-third futility, but at least there's no incessant commercial breaks.

I love the game and love spectating. MNUFC season ticket holder and think it's the best value in Twin Cities sports (even if the team blows for the time being).

So, seeing that it’s World Cup time again I thought I might take in a match (once again) and try to understand what all the fuss is about. I’m looking for recommendations on intriguing matchups, insane fan bases, etc.

I’m not going to lie, I don’t like watching soccer. I liked playing it as a kid. Any advice on getting over the eye rolling flopping, perplexing running clock/extra time, slow pacing? What am I missing as far as strategy and tactical decisions that makes the game interesting? Help a non-fan become a fan.

Two of the best talents (Messi and Ronaldo (Argentina and Portugal)) are both out of the tournament, but they would be two to watch otherwise. From there, you can tune in just about any match since these are all good teams.

In order to enjoy soccer, you need to appreciate the build up to the scoring chances. If you just sit and wait for goals, it's going to be boring. It would be similar to watching football and expecting a touchdown on every play.
In soccer, if a player is able to get a clear shot off in the box (18 yard box), he has a really good chance to score. So from that perspective, so much of the game is trying to get the ball to a player who is going to be in that position to get a shot.
Players can't just stand there however and wait for a pass because they would be offside, so the strategy is working the ball up and getting a good pass in to a player who can theoretically get a good shot off.

I used to hate soccer and preferred football, but now being a soccer fan, football seems very slow with dead periods (huddle) between every 7 seconds of action and numerous commercial breaks. (20 minutes of action in 3 hours).
Soccer however is 90+ minutes of action in under two hours.

The other cool thing about soccer and the World Cup is that it's so wide open and subjective. Unlike football where there is really only one league (the NFL) soccer has many different leagues, and there is constant debate about which league is the best. Some say English Premier League, others, La Liga (Spanish). Each country essentially has their own league with a mix of players from various countries. So when you have the World Cup, you have players from many different leagues coming together to play for their national team. Sometimes it works out well (Germany in 2014), and other times it doesn't (Germany in 2018).
Most of the European leagues are towards the top. The MLS is probably around 6th-10th if that.

The running clock is part of the gamesmanship. When you have a lead, you play the ball back in a little slower, when you're down, you rush a bit quicker. The few times a player flops or is injured, consider it a commercial break without commercials or a timeout.

If that's 90 minutes of action, I am missing something. Clock continues to run when the ball is out of play and they sit at center of field trying to set something up. No thanks

It is true that games can bog down with injury breaks and middle-third futility, but at least there's no incessant commercial breaks.

I love the game and love spectating. MNUFC season ticket holder and think it's the best value in Twin Cities sports (even if the team blows for the time being).

I never played, except in casual games. Starting to understand how the game works now. Bought MNUFC season tickets mostly for my daughters, who both played and liked soccer and will love the new stadium.

But after going to a few games, I am enjoying it far more than I would have thought. The lack of commercial breaks and predictable game length is welcome. But listening to the supporter section signing constantly during the game is far more entertaining than I could have imagined. Looking forward to next year in the awesome new stadium in St. Paul.

Watched parts of both World Cup matches today. The Russia upset over Spain was pretty cool, but the end of the Croatia Denmark match was something I will never forget. I still prefer American Football, with its strategy and tactics and incredible specialization by position, but I have a new sport to follow.

Here is a good source of World Cup 2018 articles:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/2018-world-cup/

I'm no expert by any means, but tomorrow morning's match between Mexico and Brazil seems like a can't miss game if you want to get the feel of the world cup.

Stick to highlight videos.

If TDs were worth 1 point, the typical NFL game would be 4-3. Would that make it intrinsically more boring? Hard to say.

I like soccer as a cultural sport. Always 2 hours. Like any sport, it has some great surprises. The World Cup always has some great moments.

the denmark foul at the end of the Croat match was enough to walk away for ever watching soccer ever again. simply put- you give the point to Croatia.

I disagree, it happens in every sport. I think it should have been a red though, that was an obvious miss. Dude's gotta make the PK, plain and simple.

The flopping CAN be exaggerated, however, I'd challenge all of you to wear low cut shoes with spikes and have someone step on your ankle and DONT wince. Do they sell it? Absolutely. Is it annoying? you betcha! Do some of them hurt like a mother ****er? I can definitely understand some of the pain felt and then they are able to run away.

I disagree, it happens in every sport. I think it should have been a red though, that was an obvious miss. Dude's gotta make the PK, plain and simple.

The flopping CAN be exaggerated, however, I'd challenge all of you to wear low cut shoes with spikes and have someone step on your ankle and DONT wince. Do they sell it? Absolutely. Is it annoying? you betcha! Do some of them hurt like a mother ****er? I can definitely understand some of the pain felt and then they are able to run away.

I can understand the complaints about questionable calls, but it's no different than NFL's rules on Pass Interference for a 40 yard gain or a key holding penalty on any important play.
The quantity of questionable calls in a typical game are greater in NFL games than soccer games in my estimation.

Last year the NFL had 525 defensive holding / pass interference calls during the season.

That's two per game (one per team each). Break that down per actual minute of action (11 minutes per NFL game (5.5 seconds per play X 60 plays per team x 2 teams)), that's a call every 5 or 6 minutes of actual action on the field that can strongly impact a game's result.

If that's 90 minutes of action, I am missing something. Clock continues to run when the ball is out of play and they sit at center of field trying to set something up. No thanks

I actually love the running clock, the thing that I don't like is how an official keeps track of the extra time and only that official knows the exact amount.

Come to the Nomad World Pub (501 Cedar Ave S) home of the Minneapolis Spurs for a great place to watch some soccer, World Cup and Premier League. Great place to enjoy the beautiful game and tip a pint or two! Great vibe and good soccer.

COYS!

I don't see why the running clock bothers people, in American Football the clock is burned on non-sense and standing around even more than soccer. 11-12 minutes of actual play in a game of American football even though the clock has 60 minutes on it. At least in soccer the ball is in play for the full clock duration (mostly).

The amount of Brylcream on that Brazilian players head is impressive

We played soccer in 5th grade phy. ed. The only thing I remember about it as that there was a black and white ball and we kicked it. And then we bitched because we didn't get to play flag football.

I don't see why the running clock bothers people, in American Football the clock is burned on non-sense and standing around even more than soccer. 11-12 minutes of actual play in a game of American football even though the clock has 60 minutes on it. At least in soccer the ball is in play for the full clock duration (mostly).

I’d say that’s a bit of an exaggeration, particularly with the hurry up teams. Maybe old style RUTM would have that time ratio.

I think the suspense on each play, along with the involved tactics operation: offense and defense on each play is what makes American football, at least on the surface, more exciting and intellectually stimulating. There is the possibility of a dagger strike/ big play / defensive victory eg sack or interception every time the ball is snapped.

I’m trying.

I’d say that’s a bit of an exaggeration, particularly with the hurry up teams. Maybe old style RUTM would have that time ratio.

I think the suspense on each play, along with the involved tactics operation: offense and defense on each play is what makes American football, at least on the surface, more exciting and intellectually stimulating. There is the possibility of a dagger strike/ big play / defensive victory eg sack or interception every time the ball is snapped.

I’m trying.

This is where the 11 minutes came from.

https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/

Average game last year had about 65 plays per team.
Average play is about 4 seconds, but I rounded up to 5.5.

65 plays
x 2 teams
= 130 plays.

130 plays x 5.5 seconds = 715 seconds
=11.91 minutes

Per the article I referenced, the NFL broadcast typically showed:

11 minutes of live action
17 minutes of replay
75 minutes of loitering / huddles by players, coaches, referees.
About 1 hour of commercials

In a real over simplification, you have two styles of play:
(1) Teams with more limited skills and talent play in a defensive formation, they pack 10 defenders in the back 30 yards of the field and the other team keeps lobbing the ball into the goal crease area trying to get a shot on goal. It's a game where one team will have possession of the ball far more than the other team. The defensive team is waiting until the right moment to try a quick counter. At some point the offensive team will lob the ball in, and the defensive team will do a quick counter with a long pass to try to get a breakaway goal. This is more or less a European version of the game.
(2) Teams with more skill will try to "break" the other teams defense with quick passes and misdirects. There will be a lot of movement of the ball (quick, short passes) and players as they try to advance the ball down the field to get in a position to score (within 20 yards of the goal). This is more so how teams from South America play.

I’m trying.

The last Super Bowl had about 12 minutes of actual play.

American Football is dynamic, but if you understand the tactics and strategy involved in soccer there is arguably more intricate strategy and tactics happening than in American Football and its all up to the players. No coaches are huddling up the team on the sideline or calling in plays.

American Football has a reputation among soccer fans (abroad) of being incredibly boring for many of the same reasons American football fans find soccer boring: They don't understand the game.

I actually love the running clock, the thing that I don't like is how an official keeps track of the extra time and only that official knows the exact amount.

True, but I do love surprises. Btw...Brazil now up 1-0, and I notice Jesus is playing on their team. How can they lose :confused:

The last Super Bowl had about 12 minutes of actual play.

American Football is dynamic, but if you understand the tactics and strategy involved in soccer there is arguably more intricate strategy and tactics happening than in American Football and its all up to the players. No coaches are huddling up the team on the sideline or calling in plays.

American Football has a reputation among soccer fans (abroad) of being incredibly boring for many of the same reasons American football fans find soccer boring: They don't understand the game.

I was a football fan first, then I became a soccer fan. When the NFL season starts it's painful to watch because of the large dead periods between plays.

I don’t know that time in play is a great metric to value the worth of a sport. Baseball has a minuscule amount of “live ball” time. Golf, tennis, fishing. There’s a whole lot of slow paced “set up” time on soccer. I’m sure there’s a strategy with that.

I agree there are nuances to games that a layman doesn’t understand.

All I know is that the second half of this Japan vs Belgium game is a fabulous one...kind of like heavyweights trading punches!

Now imagine if NFL refs were in charge of soccer games. They would be spending time looking at replays to make sure the throw in or free kick were taken from the EXACT right spot. Bringing in a chain to make sure the wall is far enough back. Then you'd see the guy holding the sign for extra time, and it would read something like 30 minutes.

Hope you caught the second half of Japan-Belgium. What a classic.

The clock in football needs work too.

I belive in the CFL the half has to end with a play, when the clock hits 00:00 if there isn't a play going on there is one untimed down.

I'm not a fan of soccer but I also don't really understand it that much. Never played it when I was young.

While they do have the running clock, I wouldn't say it's constant action either. Lots of dull times where not a whole lot is happening. Just not my thing I guess.

Top Bottom