Richard Pitino on the Sports Huddle (7-1-18)

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher Men's basketball coach Richard Pitino appeared on the WCCO Sports Huddle Sunday morning.

Mona: ideas for filling Stockman's spot on roster?
RP: new landscape in college BB - always recruiting. have to anticipate something happening. keep a list, and the list is big. I'm excited about our team, once we get healthy. It's only July, but we should have lot of weapons. can play differently than we did in the past.

Sid: Injuries?
RP: Amir, Oturu not cleared. Amir soon. Curry looks good, moving well. Dupree close to 100%. last year, would have been different if we were healthy.

Max: Gophers not playing in Summer Pro-Am.
RP: It's a great summer league. we have lot of injuries to deal with. last year, during the summer, we would practice, then guys would go over and play another game. now, we're practicing 4 times a week. it's just too hard. keeping them out of the league is tough, but it's for the betterment of the program

Sid: will the transfers help?
RP: Carr has been very good for IW. Willis is what we look for. size, versatility. play multiple positions, knock down open shots. felt we have enough flexibility, so we could take two guys who could sit out.

Mona: could Coffey play point?
RP: Sure. In College, people are consumed with positions. Coffey could bring ball up, play all over court. Amir could play 4 different positions. he can do a little bit of everything. got to get him healthy.

Max: did Nate Mason get on an NBA summer team?
RP: Nate got hurt last year. had surgery. he's on campus doing rehab with us. he won't play this year. hopefully, once he gets healthy, he'll find a spot on an NBA team or overseas.

Mona: where did Motz end up?
RP: California

Sid: will the schedule help you develop?
RP: we will get tested early. 20 conf games this year. Non-conf schedule includes OK State, Texas A&M Boston College. I Wanted a marquee game in the barn. We're starting series with Utah in November. I know our fans want that. Fans are so loyal, supportive. terrific schedule. we need to get ready right away.

Mona: will curtains be ready when you play game at US Bank?
RP: won't know if curtains will be in. I think the game's at night, so it won't matter.

Max: who's playing on the other side of the DH. (at US Bank)
RP: trying to figure that all out. If it doesn't affect us, I don't really care. scheduling is really hard. when you're playing in some of these challenges, you don't know who you're playing or the day.

Mona: give up a home game for game at US Bank?
RP: neutral site game. still trying to figure all that out. good from NCAA tournament standpoint. biggest thing - want to schedule vs. teams that win a lot of games. days of scheduling easy are long gone. used to be, get to 20 wins, make the tournament. not that way anymore.

Sid: who's going to be the toughest teams in B1G?
RP: always certain teams going to be good at home. If we were healthy, we would have been in tournament last year. strong league. it's going to bounce back (from 4 tms in NCAA). Last year, got hit with injury bug. hard time figuring out in July who the best teams are going to be.

Sid: where are you practicing - new facility or Williams?
RP: new facility has AC. had hot days in past in Williams. 90% of practice time in new Village. 10% at Williams. really functional for student-athletes. classes, study hall, tutors, nutrition and weights - all under one roof.

Mona: Jarvis Johnson stlll on team?
RP: final year. going to be a senior. It stinks he hasn't played for us. Jarvis took a leap of faith. believed in coaching staff. great kid. great family. we're still lucky to have him.

Nice side story about Jarvis, what might have been.

Top Bottom