Forever a Gopher: Issac Fruechte

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Gopher Sports: You recently got hired at UW-La Crosse as a wide receivers coach. What made you want to get into coaching and how has that experience been so far?

Isaac Fruechte: My dad has been a coach at the high school level for over 30 years now and I never wanted to get away from the game of football. I wanted to get involved in coaching and stay in football. Going through spring ball was interesting. I was still transitioning from being a player to a coach after a long time. You kind of want to be out there and running around. I wore my cleats to practice because I felt like I could demonstrate some of the things better than I could verbalize them. That was the most difficult part.

GS: Your dad was your high school coach. What did you learn from him about what it takes to coach?

IF: At the high school level and especially at a small high school level, the commitment to being involved every single day in young kids lives whether they play football for you or not is what I learned. Just being there for kids and for everybody and being a part of their daily lives in any way you can is what I learned most from my dad. Just be a good man and do what you would for your wife or your kids for everybody.

GS: You had a three-year NFL stint including the opportunity to play in a regular season game with the Minnesota Vikings here for your home state team. What was that moment like?

IF: It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed playing. It is tough to describe. I’m still young and still feel like I can play so I just feel very fortunate to have had that opportunity and to have learned from tremendous coaches and players. I was fortunate to be in Detroit to for a little awhile. That was awesome to see a completely new system, completely new coaches. I learned a lot and I just think I’m very fortunate.

GS: What do you remember most about your time as a Gopher football player?

IF: More of the experiences I had with my teammates and classmates. It’s a significant thing that we were able to take a program that was 3-7 in what would have been my freshman year when I was in junior college and transition over and work extra hard to change the culture and have three consecutive winning seasons. Just the experience I had with those players is something I will never forget. I wish I could go back and do it again.

GS: Is there any advice you would give to current Gopher football players?

IF: Work hard and never listen to the doubters.

GS: You grew up in Minnesota, went to school in Minnesota and had a stint on the Vikings. What does this state mean to you?

IF: The state of Minnesota has been very good to me and has taught me so many things. There is a lot of blue collar, hardworking people here. I think that’s the thing that I learned most from the people in Minnesota. They know how to wake up early in the morning and go work long hours. They put their time in and get better every single day. I am fortunate to have grown up in this state. The athletic programs are followed and they should be. Hopefully we can win and continue to grow that following. I wish the current staff and current players good luck.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062718aab.html

Go Gophers!!

Best of luck in your coaching career Isaac!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Quality young man. I bet he could be catching some Streveler passes somewhere today.

This...................

Quality young man. I bet he could be catching some Streveler passes somewhere today.

might be true- BTW: who threw that down the middle pass to him against Neb? It might have been one of Leidner/Nelson's best.

I don't know if any one else reacted this way, but when I read the title I thought Isaac had passed away, Jeez that was a heart stopper.

Solid. Who knows, maybe he makes his way onto Fleck's staff in a few years.

Gophersports.com, I expect some royalties from this, due to the series title...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might be true- BTW: who threw that down the middle pass to him against Neb? It might have been one of Leidner/Nelson's best.

I think it was Nelson and I also think the pass was pretty high and Fruechte made a pretty damn nice catch. Of course, I'm usually drunk as f*** by the end of games so memory could be off.

I think it was Nelson and I also think the pass was pretty high and Fruechte made a pretty damn nice catch. Of course, I'm usually drunk as f*** by the end of games so memory could be off.

It was Derrick Engel, it was spectacular, and it was easily PNels all time shining moment. It really seemed like that game would be a turning point (and it was, of sorts).

Or read the postings on Gopherhole.

Top Bottom