M Club Hall of Fame 2018: Janel McCarville

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/062718aac.html

Janelpick posted this on the mbb board. And yes it's past time for a banner:

Listed alphabetically by last name, the M Club’s 2018 Hall of Fame class includes:

Janel McCarville (Women’s Basketball) – Two-time First Team All-American, four-time All-Big Ten, member of program’s lone Final Four team (2004).

Banners still require that you got a degree. Janel never got a degree while she was at the U and has not apparently taken her time away to complete her schooling. Rumor always had it that she was quite a few credits short of her degress. An exception would have to be "made" to put a banner up in her name. M Club focus is on "letters" received. Lots of athletes who letter end up not getting a degree. No argument it would be nice for her to have a banner, but there is that little "problem" there to solve. Given the focus on our academic progress, I'd still think it is unlikely an exception would be made at this time.

Title IX issue? Equal applications of exemptions?

I may be incorrect, but I seem to recall part of the story was that Randy's major was no longer being offered and he had "tried" to complete it but there was no way to do so at this late date. I went looking for any old stories on that, but didn't locate anything. I don't know that Janel is in the same situation. The exception is one the U "could" make, so Mark Coyle would be who can made the exception. Norwood made the exception on Randy.

https://www.twincities.com/2015/01/21/decades-later-gophers-retire-randy-breuers-basketball-jersey/

Randy Breuer was at a charity golf tournament in Faribault when University of Minnesota athletics director Norwood Teague called to inform him the school would be retiring his maroon-and-gold basketball jersey.

It was something the 7-foot-3 Lake City, Minn., native had been waiting to hear for a long time. So long that, he says, he had given up hope.

Breuer’s college coach, Jim Dutcher, wrote a letter to Teague on Dec. 5, 2013, recommending the key player from the 1982 Big Ten championship team deserved to be honored as one of the program’s all-time greats. It is a letter Dutcher had written to all the ADs who came before Teague over the past three decades, to no avail.

Breuer and Dutcher said they were told the holdup was the fact that Breuer never graduated from the university. Teague, for one, decided that was not reason enough.

“It means a lot,” Breuer, 54, said a few days before the ceremony. “It shouldn’t have taken this long. But my family is very happy it finally got done. They’re very excited about it. It’ll be a great day.”

After the ceremony, Breuer called the gesture the “icing on the cake. ”

“What it means is that it was actually appreciated what I did here,” Breuer said.

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/062718aac.html

Janelpick posted this on the mbb board. And yes it's past time for a banner:

Listed alphabetically by last name, the M Club’s 2018 Hall of Fame class includes:

Janel McCarville (Women’s Basketball) – Two-time First Team All-American, four-time All-Big Ten, member of program’s lone Final Four team (2004).
Thanks for making sure it's here, too. (I didn't even realize I was posting on the MBB thread. I searched for her name and added to the thread, assuming it was in Women's. But, of course, there was no Women's board back in those dark ages.)

Wasn't a women's board on gopherhole in the "dark ages", but the Lynx Lane site moderated by Sue Short for many years was there. Women's basketball hit gopherhole full force once Sue's site ended.
s

Top Bottom