Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Probably just me, but almost every time I watch a prospects highlight tape, I find myself wondering "But can he or is he willing to play good defense?". Seems like when these tapes get put together, somebody would try to add some footage of a kid's on-ball defense, maybe some views of how he plays against a ball or off-ball screen, his block-out technique for a defensive rebound.

Usually, you're lucky if one or two of the highlights shows the kid jumping a passing lane or maybe flicking the ball away from a ball-handler. Pretty much everybody who plays hoops can guess right and do that once in a while. I'd like to see if a kid has learned the basic fundamentals of how to stay in front of his man, work around a screen, defensive post angles or even tries to play defense before I get too excited about him.

I mean, it's nice if we get a guy who hits 50% FG 40% 3's and 80% from the line, but if he's gonna give up as many as he scores and doesn't seem overly concerned about it, do you really want that kind of player on your team?

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Gopher View Post
    Probably just me, but almost every time I watch a prospects highlight tape, I find myself wondering "But can he or is he willing to play good defense?". Seems like when these tapes get put together, somebody would try to add some footage of a kid's on-ball defense, maybe some views of how he plays against a ball or off-ball screen, his block-out technique for a defensive rebound.

Usually, you're lucky if one or two of the highlights shows the kid jumping a passing lane or maybe flicking the ball away from a ball-handler. Pretty much everybody who plays hoops can guess right and do that once in a while. I'd like to see if a kid has learned the basic fundamentals of how to stay in front of his man, work around a screen, defensive post angles or even tries to play defense before I get too excited about him.

I mean, it's nice if we get a guy who hits 50% FG 40% 3's and 80% from the line, but if he's gonna give up as many as he scores and doesn't seem overly concerned about it, do you really want that kind of player on your team?
    Highlight videos are made for entertainment. Those things aren't entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Highlight videos are made for entertainment. Those things aren't entertaining.
    i love watching great defense and great offense. that is when the game is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    i love watching great defense and great offense. that is when the game is beautiful.
    99.9% of people who search for highlight videos on youtube aren't looking for good help side defense or how well someone boxes out. They want to see dunks and the types of plays you would see on Sports Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    99.9% of people who search for highlight videos on youtube aren't looking for good help side defense or how well someone boxes out. They want to see dunks and the types of plays you would see on Sports Center.
    That explains a great deal and why when evaluating a prospect the last place i would go is a edited tape. Dunks are dime a dozen.

Go Gophers!!

Blog Entries

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Walton had a good State Tourney. He shot it well and locked up Kendall Brown.

Henry Coleman already with full blown man strength and incredible skills. Put on a show in Atlanta.

Henry Coleman already with full blown man strength and incredible skills. Put on a show in Atlanta.
    Distant cousin of Walton’s?

No, another 2020 recruit that the staff is watching today.

No, another 2020 recruit that the staff is watching today.
    there's an entire thread for 2020 recruiting. this is a thread for kerwin walton.

Go Gophers!!