All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I must be missing something with Walton, good player but the five or six times I've seen him not a top 50 guy. Has he improved that much over the summer or is it potential.

I think Ryan lists him as top 50 because that’s where he’s ranked on PrepHoops, another basketball recruiting site he works for. Rivals ranks him #85, 247 has him #128, and #96 in the composite.

I think Ryan lists him as top 50 because that’s where he’s ranked on PrepHoops, another basketball recruiting site he works for. Rivals ranks him #85, 247 has him #128, and #96 in the composite.

Great shooters like Walton don't come around that often. Most any roster can fit a guy that can shoot like that.

Great shooters like Walton don't come around that often. Most any roster can fit a guy that can shoot like that.

Yes, to me this recruiting class is likely superb if Walton is part of it!

Shooting and defense don't "flash" in a highlight video, but every team wants/needs both. If he's Gabe-like, anyone would be lucky to have him.

My hopes of landing him are dwindling

My hopes of landing him are dwindling

Yeah his success this summer in AAU has given him almost unlimited options at this point and will be quite difficult to compete with for recruiting, fingers crossed!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Now that the news about Kerwin being a stud is WAY out of the bag, I’m sort of glad he is getting inundated with hot-shot coaches all at once. I hope their fancy talks all start to sound the same and their arrogance begins to stink like trash (that might have been a bit harsh, but oh well).

I’ve traveled to 48 states and over 25 countries and I still live in Minnesota for a reason: It’s a pretty darn nice place to live. The grass is NOT always greener, and family is WAY more important than strangers making lots of promises to you.

C’mon Kerwin. I’ve heard you are your own man and you march to the beat of a different drummer. Pave the way and make your home state proud! Commit to our Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that the news about Kerwin being a stud is WAY out of the bag, I’m sort of glad he is getting inundated with hot-shot coaches all at once. I hope their fancy talks all start to sound the same and their arrogance begins to stink like trash (that might have been a bit harsh, but oh well).

I’ve traveled to 48 states and over 25 countries and I still live in Minnesota for a reason: It’s a pretty darn nice place to live. The grass is NOT always greener, and family is WAY more important than strangers making lots of promises to you.

C’mon Kerwin. I’ve heard you are your own man and you march to the beat of a different drummer. Pave the way and make your home state proud! Commit to our Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 and 31 here, and I agree. No place like home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not saying it's the case here (hopefully, it's not), but for some kids, being the home state school is a negative because they just want to get away. I hope the Gophers recruit great players regardless of where they grew up.

By this math and including his visit to Creighton this weekend, Walton should have two visits left. Will be interesting to see where he goes the weekend of Oct 12 and Oct 19. If he is trying to make a decision by early November, it would seem like he would want to have all his visits done by end of October. If he is going to come to MN for an official, obviously the 12th with the Nebraska night game would be ideal, but that's also the weekend Gordon (who plays the same position as Walton) is scheduled to take his official.

By this math and including his visit to Creighton this weekend, Walton should have two visits left. Will be interesting to see where he goes the weekend of Oct 12 and Oct 19. If he is trying to make a decision by early November, it would seem like he would want to have all his visits done by end of October. If he is going to come to MN for an official, obviously the 12th with the Nebraska night game would be ideal, but that's also the weekend Gordon (who plays the same position as Walton) is scheduled to take his official.

I don't think the Creighton one is an official visit.

I don't think the Creighton one is an official visit.

I thought that too, but I saw it was listed as a Friday to Sunday visit on the 2020 thread, so I guess I assumed it may be an official since it's 3 days. I was under the impression that unofficials are usually 1 or 2 days. I guess we'll find out soon.

Question for bball recruiting experts here: is it necessarily a "bad thing" if Twin Cities recruits "don't bother" to use up one of their official visits on the U of Minn?? I mean, it's really nothing for them to drive to campus. They can do that any time they want, and probably can pop down for free games, VIP box seats, free food, etc., all the time, and probably do, is my wild guess.

Question for bball recruiting experts here: is it necessarily a "bad thing" if Twin Cities recruits "don't bother" to use up one of their official visits on the U of Minn?? I mean, it's really nothing for them to drive to campus. They can do that any time they want, and probably can pop down for free games, VIP box seats, free food, etc., all the time, and probably do, is my wild guess.

if they use MN as an official that basically gives them 1 less school that they can visit elsewhere....so for that reason alone....we are usually always in a better position if they take an OFFICIAL here

For comparison's sake, everyone was very excited that Garcia chose to take an official to the U even though he has been on campus a ton and taken a number of unofficials already. My opinion is that it shows a definite level of interest if a local recruit is willing to take one of their 5 officials with us. Plus, the experience (because of what the school is able to provide and pay for) on an official is quite a bit different than an unofficial.

That said, it's feasible Walton could not take an official with us, but still commit to the U. I don't know how much he has been on campus off the top of my head. On the other hand, I cannot remember a local recruit committing to us recently without taking an official.

Choosing not to use an official visit to a particular school almost always means you aren't going there, regardless of where you're from or whether you have visited that school unofficially. It's possible that Walton could commit here even if he doesn't use an official here, but the odds are much lower.

Top Bottom