All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

So, just read up...the article states as of i believe Aug 2018 Div 1 basketball recruits can official visit a school more than once...but only once a year. It says official visits have went from 5 to 15.

It is still 5 official visits. 15 would be insane.
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/compliance/cbreform/CBR_RecruitingProcForD1MBB.pdf

It says 5 in junior year and 5 more in senior year, and that a recruit may take a second official in his senior year to a school he already officially visited in his junior year.

That sounds more like it. Was reading n running court / warrant arrest procedures. Yes 15 would be a lot.

And while someone could take 10 visits...I’m guessing not too many except the very elite get extended official visits as a junior.
Remember, the Gophers ran out of the allowable official visits last year. So, I think you gotta want somebody pretty bad to extend him an official visit as a junior. Lots of guys encouraged to take unofficial visits.
Also, as a junior they are long ways away from helping you. They could easily not be interested as seniors.

Every article keeps saying second official. I always thought the rule was one per year. His first was his junior year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I wasn't aware that the rule changed, but I'm seeing the same thing you are now, so it must have. If he is taking two officials here, he must be seriously interested.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Novak has his own star in 6-5 senior shooting guard Kerwin Walton, the only returning starter for the Royals. “He is one of the best I’ve coached,” said Novak, who has sent a long list of players to college programs including former Golden Gophers shooting guard Blake Hoffarber.

The legacy coach believes the 6-5 Walton compares favorably to Hoffarber as two of the better players he has coached. “He will be a great college player,” Novak said about Walton. “You don’t get recruited by Kansas (and) Arizona, those caliber schools, and not be really good. I think there is no doubt he is just going to get better.”

Walton, who averaged about 18 points per game last season for Hopkins and is having a high profile summer playing more amateur basketball, holds scholarship offers from 21 schools including Arizona, Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, West Virginia and Virginia Tech, per Rivals.com. But Novak said his star guard isn’t favoring any particular school including Minnesota. “He knows the coaches (at Minnesota) well, and he really likes them,” Novak said.

Walton has made improvements of late and more are expected, partially because of a work ethic that includes practicing four or more hours per day. “He really works at it (getting better),” Novak said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Novak has his own star in 6-5 senior shooting guard Kerwin Walton, the only returning starter for the Royals. “He is one of the best I’ve coached,” said Novak, who has sent a long list of players to college programs including former Golden Gophers shooting guard Blake Hoffarber.

The legacy coach believes the 6-5 Walton compares favorably to Hoffarber as two of the better players he has coached. “He will be a great college player,” Novak said about Walton. “You don’t get recruited by Kansas (and) Arizona, those caliber schools, and not be really good. I think there is no doubt he is just going to get better.”

Walton, who averaged about 18 points per game last season for Hopkins and is having a high profile summer playing more amateur basketball, holds scholarship offers from 21 schools including Arizona, Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, West Virginia and Virginia Tech, per Rivals.com. But Novak said his star guard isn’t favoring any particular school including Minnesota. “He knows the coaches (at Minnesota) well, and he really likes them,” Novak said.

Walton has made improvements of late and more are expected, partially because of a work ethic that includes practicing four or more hours per day. “He really works at it (getting better),” Novak said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Garcia and Walton...I can see it now

Garcia and Walton...I can see it now

IF, if, if that were to happen, we'd be looking at a ton of scoring options in next year's lineup and a lot of length and ahtleticie=sm fr defense. That's a Big Ten Championship competitor right there.

Oturu / Freeman
Garcia/ Curry/Omersa
Ihnen / Walton
Kalscheur / Williams
Carr/Willis/Greenlee

I think Walton would start, he's going to be Gabe 2.0, unless Willis establishes himself this year. Curious what we would do with the third scholly. Do we stay on Mashburn? Or do we trust Greenlee, Carr and Willis is enough. Do we shift to another big like Murrell, Carlson or the kid from Saul Centre. Do we take another wing like Gabe or Gordon? Lots of possibilities and some talented names

IF, if, if that were to happen, we'd be looking at a ton of scoring options in next year's lineup and a lot of length and ahtleticie=sm fr defense. That's a Big Ten Championship competitor right there.

Oturu / Freeman
Garcia/ Curry/Omersa
Ihnen / Walton
Kalscheur / Williams
Carr/Willis/Greenlee

Agree 100%, but I think it'd look more like this. Walton and Curry would be first off of the bench, Curry to play the 4 or 5, and Walton the 2 or 3. Would be big time defensively too as you stated. Curry and Oturu can guard the bangers down low, Omersa showed he can as well by his D against Nick Ward. Tbh I'm not going to pretend to know Garcia defends at this point or his ability. Kalscheur is a stud and I think I remember hearing Walton plays good D as well. I would love this team, plus we would still have one open scholly. Oturu could leave too, but we will see if that actually happens. I think he will be back, and that is not meant as a slight at all.

Oturu/Curry/Freeman
Garcia/Curry/Omersa
Willis/Walton/Ihnen
Kalscheur/Walton/Williams
Carr/Willis/Greenlee

I think Walton would start, he's going to be Gabe 2.0, unless Willis establishes himself this year. Curious what we would do with the third scholly. Do we stay on Mashburn? Or do we trust Greenlee, Carr and Willis is enough. Do we shift to another big like Murrell, Carlson or the kid from Saul Centre. Do we take another wing like Gabe or Gordon? Lots of possibilities and some talented names

If we get Walton then I think it is a PF (Garcia please) and the best other player available. I'd be looking at PG and they have a number of options there: Suggs, Mane and Mashburn, but if they can't get one of those do they wait until the following year for PG?

If we get Walton then I think it is a PF (Garcia please) and the best other player available. I'd be looking at PG and they have a number of options there: Suggs, Mane and Mashburn, but if they can't get one of those do they wait until the following year for PG?

Probably depends on Greenlee's play. I would like to see a PG personally but that's relative to who else is interested in us too.

Probably depends on Greenlee's play. I would like to see a PG personally but that's relative to who else is interested in us too.

I agree. They don't need to take a flyer on someone at PG - it's either a highly rated guy or nothing IMO.

per Marcus:

Gophers basketball has its first big recruiting date planned for the football team’s season opener next Thursday against South Dakota State at TCF Bank Stadium.

Expected on the first official visit for Richard Pitino this fall will be three-star Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) guard Ty Berry, but he won’t be alone.

Accompanying Berry will be several local prospects on unofficials, including 2020 targets and D1 Minnesota teammates Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Steven Crowl and Ben Carlson.

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-g...-recruits-visiting-football-opener/554893002/

Go Gophers!!

Latest 247 rankings Walton at 182..never seen a kid ranked that low after his final AAU summer holding offers of his caliber...Prep Hoops latest has him 45th

Latest 247 rankings Walton at 182..never seen a kid ranked that low after his final AAU summer holding offers of his caliber...Prep Hoops latest has him 45th

247 updated their ranking to 129. His composite is now 184.

Pokes a pretty giant hole in the theory that recruiting services base their rankings on offer lists.

247 updated their ranking to 129. His composite is now 184.

Pokes a pretty giant hole in the theory that recruiting services base their rankings on offer lists.

There are only two people doing evals for online recruiting sites that are any good at all. Bossi is really insightful. All the sights give at least some boost on offers, especially after a blue blood verbal. Plus Walton would be top 75 if you dropped his last 4 247 offers and replaced them with Duke,UNC, Villanova,UVA. I am not at all concerned about rankings done by those services. There are hundreds of guys in the NBA that were not ranked top 100. I use those lists to see who out performed who over their college career, who won more, who won the conference titles, who got to the final 4, who won national titles. It is astounding how many guys blew the top 50 guys out of the water. The thing about Walton is not only can he shoot it but he is a winner and a team will have him 4 years.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Must not be that high on ISU if he met with Vandy the same day he had an official

I must be missing something with Walton, good player but the five or six times I've seen him not a top 50 guy. Has he improved that much over the summer or is it potential.

I must be missing something with Walton, good player but the five or six times I've seen him not a top 50 guy. Has he improved that much over the summer or is it potential.

I think his outside shooting is what most teams must be after, the offers started pouring in after some impressive shooting displays against top AAU teams this summer.

I don't follow ratings closely, but it sounds like his are all over the place. Was around 175 then he had a great summer and it seemed to stay the same. Maybe not updated yet. Now people calling him top 50. It would seem that some reliable recruiting service could give some objective and updated data. Maybe this is a Gabe effect. Quality D-1 player from Minnesota goes unrecognized and then proves he belongs, so now the big boys are looking a little closer at the Minnesota guys.

Regardless of the rating, I would love to see him at the local school. He can shoot, and you can never have enough shooters in the college game.

Top Bottom