All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I don't think 8 is enough. Injuries, etc.
In a perfect world where guys are cool with it, of course the higher the number the better. It's just really hard to keep that many guys happy. I meant the 8 as more of a realistic number of guys to get. Of the other 6-7 it's a project or 2, a transfer or 2, and a couple guys who are just good citizens and teammates (likely walk ons).

In a perfect world where guys are cool with it, of course the higher the number the better. It's just really hard to keep that many guys happy. I meant the 8 as more of a realistic number of guys to get. Of the other 6-7 it's a project or 2, a transfer or 2, and a couple guys who are just good citizens and teammates (likely walk ons).

Haven't actually studied all the teams, but I'd be curious to see the rotations of the teams that looked like a good bet to make the 64 team bracket. My feeling that, most of them had an 8-man rotation (players averaging at least 10 minutes per game) with maybe a couple others getting 3-4 minutes per game.

I agree that, unless you're one of the perennially top 15 or so teams in the country and always competing for a banner, it's tough to get more than 8 truly competitive (for whatever level you're at) guys who might be willing to sit or play 3 minutes for you, when they know they could be playing 20 minutes or more for somebody else.

Once you're an established power house, it's probably much easier to stock your team with 10-11 guys good enough to play anywhere for anybody. But until you get to that point, it's probably tougher than most of us imagine. For the Gophers, it feels like a Chicken or the Egg situation. Need THIS for THAT to happen, but THAT won't happen until you actually have THIS. Of course, it felt that way with Gophers Football until this past fall too.

Agreed. Would really like to see the MN roster be just a bit deeper with kids that can play fundamentally sound bb.

Haven't actually studied all the teams, but I'd be curious to see the rotations of the teams that looked like a good bet to make the 64 team bracket. My feeling that, most of them had an 8-man rotation (players averaging at least 10 minutes per game) with maybe a couple others getting 3-4 minutes per game.

I agree that, unless you're one of the perennially top 15 or so teams in the country and always competing for a banner, it's tough to get more than 8 truly competitive (for whatever level you're at) guys who might be willing to sit or play 3 minutes for you, when they know they could be playing 20 minutes or more for somebody else.

Once you're an established power house, it's probably much easier to stock your team with 10-11 guys good enough to play anywhere for anybody. But until you get to that point, it's probably tougher than most of us imagine. For the Gophers, it feels like a Chicken or the Egg situation. Need THIS for THAT to happen, but THAT won't happen until you actually have THIS. Of course, it felt that way with Gophers Football until this past fall too.

Most top teams play 8 and trust 7. It's misleading to just look at season stats because teams with more wins typically have more blowouts and play more guys. Most rosters have top 3 guys playing 30-35 mins, 4-6 guys playing 15-25 mins, and a seventh guy who pops in for 10-15 mins and an 8th guy who plays 5-10. A deep dive into close games would be interesting for sure. I'd argue that powerhouses actually struggle more with depth because guys leave for the NBA, but they can restock more efficiently. 100% agree that it's really hard to do

Agreed. Would really like to see the MN roster be just a bit deeper with kids that can play fundamentally sound bb.

Agreed, I'd take a bunch of Gabes honestly and sacrifice some foot speed for smarts and fundamentals.

As a program thats not going to have many one and dones, this is where roster balance is important. Upper classmen play, lower classmen develop

As a program thats not going to have many one and dones, this is where roster balance is important. Upper classmen play, lower classmen develop

You really need about 9, having 4 that don't play is fine, can't have many upperclassmen that don't contribute at all though if you are developing freshman.

I get your point about development, but most guys who play are playing as freshman or th transfer in and develop elsewhere. Kids don’t respond well to being bench guys. Having a core of older guys is when you have your shot at conference titles. Then rinse and repeat

I get your point about development, but most guys who play are playing as freshman or th transfer in and develop elsewhere. Kids don’t respond well to being bench guys. Having a core of older guys is when you have your shot at conference titles. Then rinse and repeat
I agree thats a problem. Having a balanced roster is a balancing act. A lot of kids dont have the patience and will then transfer to smaller schools to play

Most top teams play 8 and trust 7. It's misleading to just look at season stats because teams with more wins typically have more blowouts and play more guys. Most rosters have top 3 guys playing 30-35 mins, 4-6 guys playing 15-25 mins, and a seventh guy who pops in for 10-15 mins and an 8th guy who plays 5-10. A deep dive into close games would be interesting for sure. I'd argue that powerhouses actually struggle more with depth because guys leave for the NBA, but they can restock more efficiently. 100% agree that it's really hard to do
That is almost exactly the box score of the last Duke vs NC game. But Virginia (the team coached by God) only really played 6 players against Duke.

That is almost exactly the box score of the last Duke vs NC game. But Virginia (the team coached by God) only really played 6 players against Duke.
Correct I struggle with people who don’t understand that. Different game than it was even 10 years ago

Several national powerhouse programs go 8 deep max.

Make use of the redshirt !

Not God, the Guy who Rick Pitino calls the best in the game.

God must of took the day off against UMBC and it wasn’t even a Sunday.
True, the only time in history that a 16 seed beat a number 1. That has got to be a huge blemish on a coaches resume! Obviously they didn't prepare for the game and that is 100% on the coach.

True, the only time in history that a 16 seed beat a number 1. That has got to be a huge blemish on a coaches resume! Obviously they didn't prepare for the game and that is 100% on the coach.

Not really. He handled it with dignity and class, as I recall. He is one of the best three or four coaches in the game.

Realized after i posted this was an offer from wyoming and not from the gophers, maybe someday!

Not really. He handled it with dignity and class, as I recall. He is one of the best three or four coaches in the game.
I read a piece I think on SI how he said that helped motivate the program for their championshipip run as they needed Lazer focus on every possession, among other learnings.

Realized after i posted this was an offer from wyoming and not from the gophers, maybe someday!
Assistant coach's name is Sundance Wicks.

Can you imagine as a recruit getting that call??

"Howdy pard, this Sundance Wicks. I just come from Little Big Horn down to Dodge City, rustlin' up cattle and outlaws, when I got word that we were offering you a scholarship!"

"Howdy pard, this Sundance Wicks. I just come from Little Big Horn down to Dodge City, rustlin' up cattle and outlaws, when I got word that we were offering you a scholarship!"

Sundance played at Northern State for Don Meyer and is a really good and up and coming coach. He was one I was actually hoping we'd look at as an assistant. As a head coach at a D2 Missouri he actually recruited and coached Theo John's younger brother Alex. Dude ran one of the better youth clinics I've probably ever seen and will be one to continue to watch.

Sundance played at Northern State for Don Meyer and is a really good and up and coming coach. He was one I was actually hoping we'd look at as an assistant. As a head coach at a D2 Missouri he actually recruited and coached Theo John's younger brother Alex. Dude ran one of the better youth clinics I've probably ever seen and will be one to continue to watch.
Maybe one of the MWC head coaches will grab him when they come up to Mpls next year? :cool:

Saw his name mentioned a few times earlier this week on Twitter, but haven't seen it here. Hercy Miller is one of hip hop artist Master P's kids, which also makes him a brother of Lil Romeo, if anyone remembers him doing rap songs as a teenager in the 2000's. His Twitter profile says he's from California, and I thought Lil Romeo and Master P were from LA, but he has a tweet about a "hometown offer" from LSU, and then his 247 profile says he plays for Minnehaha Academy and Ryan James is tweeting about him, so it seems like maybe he grew up elsewhere but currently lives in Minnesota. Anyway, he's picking up some high major offers, including USC earlier today.

He also tweeted this out, but I'm not sure if these are schools who have merely reached out to him and expressed interest or actually offered.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beyond blessed!! We working still <a href="https://t.co/FK31CEDKek">pic.twitter.com/FK31CEDKek</a></p>&mdash; Hercy Miller (@hercymiller15) <a href="">April 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Saw his name mentioned a few times earlier this week on Twitter, but haven't seen it here. Hercy Miller is one of hip hop artist Master P's kids, which also makes him a brother of Lil Romeo, if anyone remembers him doing rap songs as a teenager in the 2000's. His Twitter profile says he's from California, and I thought Lil Romeo and Master P were from LA, but he has a tweet about a "hometown offer" from LSU, and then his 247 profile says he plays for Minnehaha Academy and Ryan James is tweeting about him, so it seems like maybe he grew up elsewhere but currently lives in Minnesota. Anyway, he's picking up some high major offers, including USC earlier today.

He also tweeted this out, but I'm not sure if these are schools who have merely reached out to him and expressed interest or actually offered.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beyond blessed!! We working still <a href="https://t.co/FK31CEDKek">pic.twitter.com/FK31CEDKek</a></p>&mdash; Hercy Miller (@hercymiller15) <a href="">April 13, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He moved here mid season last year with his brother.

I have to imagine Morgan State fans are pretty excited about making it into that graphic.

He moved here mid season last year with his brother.
IIRC Lil Romeo had scholarship from USC, not sure if he ever/ attended played there. Master P, per him, had a tryout with the Raptors and played in the D league as it was known then

Last edited:

I read a piece I think on SI how he said that helped motivate the program for their championshipip run as they needed Lazer focus on every possession, among other learnings.
Exactly. He never even brought up not having Hunter, he had Guy And Jerome do the presser telling them to do this together and to let it be part of their story , to own it. He used it to be a ticket to where they were going to go to get to a place that could not be paid for any other way. Huge boost to the recruiting success that followed and is still following. No wonder Forbes listed him as one of the 50 best leaders in the world. Hardly a blemish when he turns down jobs that pay twice as much. You have to be a one seed to lose that game which meant like 30-2, another ACC title, another tourney berth. A blemish is going 48-82 and never contending in your conference in 7 years.

Hey. No making fun of Sunny D. He's a good guy.

Top Bottom