All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

And Joey King and Charles Buggs and Amir Coffey and Alihan Demir and Daniel Oturu and (potentially) Davonte Fitzgerald
thats a good list- and I respect each of them. if they stood side by side with the mn recruits that have signed or verballed to wi would i be able to tell which kids chose which school?

Minnehaha plays non conf games against the best teams. Plus their best players are playing in top of the line AAU leagues. What AAu team/league does Tschetter play for

MN high school basketball has has somehow elevated itself considerably over the last several decades. I wish Pittino could capture more of the in-state talent,

Minnehaha plays non conf games against the best teams. Plus their best players are playing in top of the line AAU leagues. What AAu team/league does Tschetter play for

You should be able to determine if a kid is athletic enough by working him out, I just don't see the absolute value of playing against better competition as a deciding factor other than being game ready day one.

Last year he played for the Top MN Heat team that played in the NY2LA series. Not sure who he's playing for this spring.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Tschetter drooped 44 points this weekend? He already has a ton of LM to MM offers. This spring and summer expect that interest to increase with the level going up too ?<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PHCircuit?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#PHCircuit</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MinnesotaHeat?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@MinnesotaHeat</a> ?<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/rdBfFUqvp9">pic.twitter.com/rdBfFUqvp9</a></p>&mdash; Matt Reynolds (@MattReynolds___) <a href="">February 24, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Talked to a friend who saw Tschetter play at sections last night. Was very impressed and thought gophers should offer. My friend did throw in the caveat that foot speed might be an issue.

Hercy Miller has received offers from Missouri and UCLA. Gophers and Lousiville showing interest.

Hercy turns 18 soon should be in college next year not in high school.

The Badgers just won the big ten, and have a team filled with players with foot speed issues. Some coaches can find ways to have effective teams with a lack of foot speed in the frontcourt.

Talked to a friend who saw Tschetter play at sections last night. Was very impressed and thought gophers should offer. My friend did throw in the caveat that foot speed might be an issue.

The Badgers just won the big ten, and have a team filled with players with foot speed issues. Some coaches can find ways to have effective teams with a lack of foot speed in the frontcourt.

Some coaches play slow ball so lack of foot speed is less of a problem.

Last edited:

Saw Tschetter play tonight in section final. He had 29 but just dont see him as big ten material at this point. He is only a junior so has time yet.
Was very impressed with the King brothers from Caledonia. Senior and sophomore were on a different level athletically and could shoot. Wonder if we are involved at all with them.

I like Tschetter a lot, but I have a hard time projecting him at the next level. He's skilled. He has a high motor and he's tough (at least when he played with Heat last summer). He doesn't play on a shoe team, but he gets excellent coaching (John Tauer) and plays against solid competition on his circuit.

There's part of me that likes him and thinks he could develop into a solid player. There's another part of me that worries that he's the kid that is 6-foot-8, dominating 6-foot-4 kids a lot of the time. I tend to think that if this exact kid was from (insert random state that isn't MN), nobody would bat an eye if we didn't offer him. But that could be me hating the provincial nature of our folk.

I'm intrigued to see how Eli King develops. He's a 2022 so this may not be the thread for that, but he's longer and way more bouncy than the previous two King boys. He played as a middle-schooler on those very good Caledonia teams - serving as a bench shooter - and he's grown his game a ton. He can guard people, he's spring-loaded and you know he's going to be a worker given that seems to be in the Caledonia water. Noah is not a high-major player. I love watching him play. He's played like a 24-year-old since he was a freshman, but he's about 6-foot tall, isn't real quick, shoots it good not great and doesn't have the requisite athleticism to play high-major D1. His older brother was a better player by my estimation and he wasn't getting time at SDSU.

I like Tschetter a lot, but I have a hard time projecting him at the next level. He's skilled. He has a high motor and he's tough (at least when he played with Heat last summer). He doesn't play on a shoe team, but he gets excellent coaching (John Tauer) and plays against solid competition on his circuit.

There's part of me that likes him and thinks he could develop into a solid player. There's another part of me that worries that he's the kid that is 6-foot-8, dominating 6-foot-4 kids a lot of the time. I tend to think that if this exact kid was from (insert random state that isn't MN), nobody would bat an eye if we didn't offer him. But that could be me hating the provincial nature of our folk.

I'm intrigued to see how Eli King develops. He's a 2022 so this may not be the thread for that, but he's longer and way more bouncy than the previous two King boys. He played as a middle-schooler on those very good Caledonia teams - serving as a bench shooter - and he's grown his game a ton. He can guard people, he's spring-loaded and you know he's going to be a worker given that seems to be in the Caledonia water. Noah is not a high-major player. I love watching him play. He's played like a 24-year-old since he was a freshman, but he's about 6-foot tall, isn't real quick, shoots it good not great and doesn't have the requisite athleticism to play high-major D1. His older brother was a better player by my estimation and he wasn't getting time at SDSU.

Thanks for your summary. Agree on Tschetter. Guess I came away more impressed with Noah than you. He shot it from really deep and thought he had more athleticism than you describe. He is listed at 6'2". Anyway, I'll defer to your judgment as sounds like you have seen him play more than myself.
Eli, on one play drove the middle and made a left handed behind the back bounce pass to a teammate for a layup. Shoots well, changes direction really quickly, jumps out of the gym. Agree that his development will be interesting.

I think it comes down to what you want to get. I'm guessing in the long run that Tschetter could give you as much as a Demir type player, but of course you swing for higher kids at first.

I think it comes down to what you want to get. I'm guessing in the long run that Tschetter could give you as much as a Demir type player, but of course you swing for higher kids at first.
According to GH, that is what rp has done that has created the void in the depth.

According to GH, that is what rp has done that has created the void in the depth.

Don't disagree with your statement here to a point. You should always dial in on some top targets, but move on if it's not going anywhere imo. I've always been a believer in that it's ok to take some projects and just because a Michael Hurt wasn't a huge contributor, he wasn't a terrible recruit because he was a good citizen and teammate. Will add that my views of "depth" is that it's overrated. Get 8 serviceable guys and fill rest with Michael Hurts of the world.

Don't disagree with your statement here to a point. You should always dial in on some top targets, but move on if it's not going anywhere imo. I've always been a believer in that it's ok to take some projects and just because a Michael Hurt wasn't a huge contributor, he wasn't a terrible recruit because he was a good citizen and teammate. Will add that my views of "depth" is that it's overrated. Get 8 serviceable guys and fill rest with Michael Hurts of the world.
I don't think 8 is enough. Injuries, etc.

Top Bottom