All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Frankie Collins OR Kendall Brown? I assume we would only take one guard/wing type and probably a center with the other spot.

Frankie Collins OR Kendall Brown? I assume we would only take one guard/wing type and probably a center with the other spot.

Brown by a longshot for me. I don't think it is possible to have too many players of his playstyle. Collins is a very nice player though and probably more realistic at this point.

Quicker than flashing lights on the Vegas strip.

Quicker than flashing lights on the Vegas strip.

Just practicing...:clap:

I'll never understand the allure of Marquette unless you want a private education and some of the better private schools arent interested

Not sure if it's a huge draw or not....but Marquette is a Jordan school.

I'll never understand the allure of Marquette unless you want a private education and some of the better private schools arent interested
These kids oftentimes choose the relationships they've built with the staff over what you've just mentioned. Need to get over comparing what one school/location offers over another.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brown by a longshot for me. I don't think it is possible to have too many players of his playstyle. Collins is a very nice player though and probably more realistic at this point.

Brown is basically a slightly more athletic Coffey. I'm assuming we'd want another one of those on the team.

Brown is basically a slightly more athletic Coffey. I'm assuming we'd want another one of those on the team.

Frankie Collins is a very good player, but how many 6' to 6'2" guards can you carry? Brown would give us some additional size at least. Hopefully we are in a position at that point to turn down Collins to take Brown, but with both players having almost unlimited options on where to play, I would imagine we will just take the best possible player we can reasonably hope to have commit.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

per the Alexandria Echo Press:

Thompson gave a verbal commitment to Minnesota and head coach Richard Pitino on Nov. 30, becoming the first commitment for the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class.

“They have everything that I really want,” Thompson said. “The practice facility, the weight lifting and everything like that. The cafeteria for their athletes is right next to where I would be living. It’s one of the top places in the country now after they’ve redone it. Richard Pitino is a really good coach who has been around coaching his whole life with his dad being one of the better coaches. Overall, I just had a really good connection with them. I felt if I wanted to get to the next level after college, it would be a good spot to go to.”

Thompson grew up a fan of the Gophers and said that did play into his decision some. It started from his time performing with the Aces, Alexandria’s youth performance basketball team that put on shows at halftimes all over the country.

“I remember watching them play and wanting to be a part of that,” Thompson said of the Gophers. “That influenced me a lot. Also, I just want to make an impact on all the other Minnesota kids, trying to tell them Minnesota is a good college, stay home. My parents, my grandparents, they all want to watch me, so they’ll probably come to every single game.”

Go Gophers!!

per the Alexandria Echo Press:

Thompson gave a verbal commitment to Minnesota and head coach Richard Pitino on Nov. 30, becoming the first commitment for the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class.

“They have everything that I really want,” Thompson said. “The practice facility, the weight lifting and everything like that. The cafeteria for their athletes is right next to where I would be living. It’s one of the top places in the country now after they’ve redone it. Richard Pitino is a really good coach who has been around coaching his whole life with his dad being one of the better coaches. Overall, I just had a really good connection with them. I felt if I wanted to get to the next level after college, it would be a good spot to go to.”

Thompson grew up a fan of the Gophers and said that did play into his decision some. It started from his time performing with the Aces, Alexandria’s youth performance basketball team that put on shows at halftimes all over the country.

“I remember watching them play and wanting to be a part of that,” Thompson said of the Gophers. “That influenced me a lot. Also, I just want to make an impact on all the other Minnesota kids, trying to tell them Minnesota is a good college, stay home. My parents, my grandparents, they all want to watch me, so they’ll probably come to every single game.”

Go Gophers!!
What"? Hes a gopher fan?

Frankie Collins is a very good player, but how many 6' to 6'2" guards can you carry? Brown would give us some additional size at least. Hopefully we are in a position at that point to turn down Collins to take Brown, but with both players having almost unlimited options on where to play, I would imagine we will just take the best possible player we can reasonably hope to have commit.

Well we need help at the PG position behind Carr. Will Mashburn be able to handle minutes at the PG position? Or is he more of an undersized SG?
that's why I would love to get Frankie Collins to commit here! would give him a year to also ease into things as Carr would be a senior his freshman year.

But at no point would we say no to a top 5ish talent in Brown....even if our roster was full...we would find a way to make room for that kind of talen….

Well we need help at the PG position behind Carr. Will Mashburn be able to handle minutes at the PG position? Or is he more of an undersized SG?
that's why I would love to get Frankie Collins to commit here! would give him a year to also ease into things as Carr would be a senior his freshman year.

But at no point would we say no to a top 5ish talent in Brown....even if our roster was full...we would find a way to make room for that kind of talen….

Why waist another scholership on a PG unless it is a 5* like Tre Jones, a guy like Collins take him to otherwise go with what you've got, Greenlee is more than capable of backing up Carr.

Why waist another scholership on a PG unless it is a 5* like Tre Jones, a guy like Collins take him to otherwise go with what you've got, Greenlee is more than capable of backing up Carr.

man i would love if we ever get to the point where we would tell a top 10 guy at his position that we arent interested in bringing him in even if he said he wants to commit today!

man i would love if we ever get to the point where we would tell a top 10 guy at his position that we arent interested in bringing him in even if he said he wants to commit today!
Who said that, I said bypass another backup role player.

Who said that, I said bypass another backup role player.
Frankie is ranked as the 9th best PG in his class....lol....so you are saying that

now I have never seen the kid play. But like I said. If he wants to come herei don’t think we are in position to tell him no.....he would seem like a really solid get....and with so much roster turnover who knows what the roster make up will be after nexts years season

Last edited:

Maybe there is a new trend starting, Minnesota kids that go away to prep school and then commit to Minnesota.
Could be. They get that wanderlust out of their system and realize that "going away just for the sake of going away" is not all that interesting.

I know that for job recruiters, it has always been very hard to get people to leave the Twin Cities. It may be a tough sell to get people to move up here, but once the acclimate to the area, not many want to leave.

Top Bottom