Sid: Gophers football has sold 20,673 season tickets with a renewal rate of 86%

I don't know if they're fickle.... it's not like 2015 on the field did much to keep them...

Fickle? Maybe he should have said they they weren't "stupid". Oh and Sid's 86% Season Ticket retention rate is pretty hollow when you consider that they've now lost about 26% of their fanbase since 2015!

If they Gopher Fans were smart, front runners or truly fickle NOBODY would show-up for a team that's best finish in the Big Ten in the last 45 years was 3rd Place in 1973 and 1986 !

The numbers were good in 2015 because they went 8-5 (4-4 Big Ten) in '13 and 8-5 in '14 (5-3). Tickets were sold on anticipation. Now add in the fact that they had #2 TCU here to open that season and Nebraska, #15 Michigan and Wisconsin at TCF, and that made for some great Home crowds. Not all full of people cheering for the Visitors either.

Of course they ended-up 6-7 with an 2-6 Conference record in '15. That explains why Season Tickets were down in '16. What happened off the field that year, their pathetic performance in the Big Ten, and the bizarre campaign of "we ain't gonna win for 2-3 years" is why they were down in 2017.

That all worked to cancel out a 9-4 season with a 5-3 Conference Season and a Bowl win. As we've been told over and over again the wins didn't "feel good". As far as the public was concerned it was the scandal that didn't and it rightfully overshadowed anything that played out on the field.

The lousy Home schedule this season and their abysmal 2-7 performance in the Big Ten last season is why sales this year are gonna be bad. The GREAT win against the Cornhuskers aside, the Gophers scored 10,10, Zero and Zero in their other last five games. Not exactly a great way to "leave people wanting more" or to market the team.

"Hey, but we'll probably suck this year too and that's because the former guys couldn't recruit Quarterbacks!" Or "The previous guys suck but this guy promises big things somewhere down the road!"

Apparently those can't be used to sell tickets either...

We really need to drop the bizarre idea that the fans need to do a better job paying. Any half-competent marketer will tell you it is not your customers job to want to buy your product, it is your job to put together a value proposition that customers want to buy. That includes eliminating dog crap 2 win conference seasons, a good stadium atmosphere, accessible, entertaining tailgating environment, and appropriate pricing. Season ticket holders should feel like they get a better deal than single game buyers, either through sufficient perks and/or better prices for buying in bulk. We seem to have developed this bizarre theory that season ticket holders should find value in paying more to support the team. My dad has partial season tickets to wild games, and I know that no part of that purchase is him wanting to feel good about giving the team money.

We really need to drop the bizarre idea that the fans need to do a better job paying. Any half-competent marketer will tell you it is not your customers job to want to buy your product, it is your job to put together a value proposition that customers want to buy. That includes eliminating dog crap 2 win conference seasons, a good stadium atmosphere, accessible, entertaining tailgating environment, and appropriate pricing. Season ticket holders should feel like they get a better deal than single game buyers, either through sufficient perks and/or better prices for buying in bulk. We seem to have developed this bizarre theory that season ticket holders should find value in paying more to support the team. My dad has partial season tickets to wild games, and I know that no part of that purchase is him wanting to feel good about giving the team money.

The bookends in bold is what needs to change...the middle things are there for the taking. As for your last line, it is different. Many alum see purchasing tickets to athletics as a way of feeling good and prideful supporting the U.

You have to make it fun. Add some kid friendly venues in the open end of the stadium. Make it so entertaining that the kids beg their parents to go back. Initially, make the football game secondary to the fun those kids can have. Eventually those kids grow to come enjoy the game.

True, the game is just part of the experience. The Vikings have really picked up their game with the defend the North, the Skoll chant, etc... The Gophers have really got to add fun and excitement to he experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since we don't have any truly time tested traditions, we need something to fall into our lap. Wisconsin has the jump around, Iowa now has the children hospital recognition after the first quarter, etc.....

I always go back to the marching band as one of our best non football attractions and I think they do a good job of sending parts of the band or pep bands to tailgate lots to perform before the game.

The bottom line is WIN, we are one of just a handful of markets that has all of the major sports that compete with a power five football team, so if we want more fans at games, winning 9+ a year is the only way to gain interest in the community.

The bookends in bold is what needs to change...the middle things are there for the taking. As for your last line, it is different. Many alum see purchasing tickets to athletics as a way of feeling good and prideful supporting the U.

I don't disagree with your assessment of some alums, but those of us who see things that way are already buying the tickets. If we want to expand sales, it has to be about improving the value proposition, not hoping for an uptick in altruism.

Since we don't have any truly time tested traditions, we need something to fall into our lap. Wisconsin has the jump around, Iowa now has the children hospital recognition after the first quarter, etc.....

My minds telling me noooo, but my bodyyyy

... neither did 2017.

Indeed.

I think if we're worried about fan retention.... sadly 2015 was a huge lost opportunity. A great 2014, great schedule, fans show up.... terrible games... Jerry gone.... it was the turning point that just turned the other way.

I don't disagree with your assessment of some alums, but those of us who see things that way are already buying the tickets. If we want to expand sales, it has to be about improving the value proposition, not hoping for an uptick in altruism.

Understood, it was in the context of using Purple as a comparison (not Apples to Apples at all) that's why I agree with the appropriate pricing part as well. There's no doubt more alum would go the season ticket route with some specifically targeted pricing and/or tangible perqs...much like the recent grad discount.

In the end (as many have posted), a consistent higher level of winning, especially conference games, is the key...can't elevate beyond the recent 8 win level without a winning B1G record.

I always go back to the marching band as one of our best non football attractions and I think they do a good job of sending parts of the band or pep bands to tailgate lots to perform before the game.

The bottom line is WIN, we are one of just a handful of markets that has all of the major sports that compete with a power five football team, so if we want more fans at games, winning 9+ a year is the only way to gain interest in the community.
Put in a lazy river with a blow up raft and paddle. [emoji56]

I agree, many of those diehard fans that go just for the sake of the game are already going. Winning can help, but it is the total experience that brings back “sporting fans” that have other options. Obviously, the current product/experience is not worth the current prices to fill up the stadium. Pricing and licensing has to be addressed. It has hurt hockey; basketball and football.

I agree, many of those diehard fans that go just for the sake of the game are already going. Winning can help, but it is the total experience that brings back “sporting fans” that have other options. Obviously, the current product/experience is not worth the current prices to fill up the stadium. Pricing and licensing has to be addressed. It has hurt hockey; basketball and football.

I'm surprised there are as many of us that there are!

My dad has partial season tickets to wild games, and I know that no part of that purchase is him wanting to feel good about giving the team money.

Nor should it be - the Wild is a for-profit business. The University of Minnesota isn't. It's a completely different conversation.

Attendance has probably been one of the biggest topics on this board over the years. There is no easy formula other than to start winning games, in particular, start winning Big Ten conference games.

The Gopher fan base is larger than a lot of people may realize and the fans will show up, remember in 2003 when the Metrodome was packed on a Friday night when Michigan was in town?

The problem is that every time Gophers fans get their hopes up and the bandwagon starts to fill up, they find a way to lose a game and just as quickly, the casual and bandwagon fans are jumping off. Those are the types of fans you need to convince and want them to come back. The diehards and season ticket holders will usually show up.

Every time the Gophers have been ranked over the last 20 years, they have not been able to sustain that or climb in the rankings to generate more excitement. When you start talking ranked teams, that starts to getting more fans attention and media attention.

They started to get some momentum going in 2014 but they lost that game in Illinois.

The stadium is not the problem, but they can definitely add some more activities for kids/families.

I think the Gophers have also lacked some "star power" in recent years. Hopefully PJ Fleck can change that with his recruiting classes.

The season ticket holders do not like this, but discounted tickets/promotions are a good way to get families to try out the experience. My family was able to get $15 or $20 tickets a few years ago. I would much rather have discounted tickets in an attempt to fill up the stadium than a stadium that is half-empty. We also need to find a way to get that student section filled up more frequently.

At the end of the day, it ultimately comes down to winning games and getting fans excited. Winning "that big game" or getting over that hump. It would also help to beat Wisconsin more than once every 15 years.

I think the program is on the right track with recruiting, sponsors and facilities as well as continuity in the administration.

Make it deep enough that we can polar plunge in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just provide the ice-breaker rafts and keep rowing! RTB!!! But, I like your brainstorming. Between us and everyone here we should be able to solve the Athletic Departments marketing woes!

Attendance has probably been one of the biggest topics on this board over the years. There is no easy formula other than to start winning games, in particular, start winning Big Ten conference games.

The Gopher fan base is larger than a lot of people may realize and the fans will show up, remember in 2003 when the Metrodome was packed on a Friday night when Michigan was in town?

Sorry, can't agree with this. If you look at attendance over the years, going back to Memorial Stadium, the hard-core Gopher fan base is about 25,000 to 30,000 people. They will show up for every game no matter what. Beyond that, Gopher football attendance relies on casual fans and band-wagon jumpers. If the team is winning some games, and generating some positive buzz, the casual fans will show up to take a look. But, the first big loss or poor performance, and the casual fans say "the heck with it. Same old Gophers."

To really build a strong fan base - comparable to other B1G teams - the Gophers will need to rattle off 3 or 4 really strong seasons in a row. Win 8,9 games - play in a good bowl game (one that people have heard of), and most importantly, play entertaining football, and show you can repeat that for multiple seasons, and that's when you'll start to rebuild the fan base.

and most importantly, play entertaining football

I mean, Claeys and Johnson in their last year had one of the funnest defenses I've ever watched at the college level and the stadium was half empty all of the time. I don't know how much entertaining football really matters to the casual fan. I think they just want to see wins.

That 2016 team was on the verge of doing something extremely special if we had a better passing game and nobody seemed to give a rats ass.

Fleck is right to a certain extent, we need to build a strong culture if we want to change the program.
I think they have taken a lot of positive steps in that direction.

I mean, Claeys and Johnson in their last year had one of the funnest defenses I've ever watched at the college level and the stadium was half empty all of the time. I don't know how much entertaining football really matters to the casual fan. I think they just want to see wins.

That 2016 team was on the verge of doing something extremely special if we had a better passing game and nobody seemed to give a rats ass.

Fleck is right to a certain extent, we need to build a strong culture if we want to change the program.
I think they have taken a lot of positive steps in that direction.

Right or wrong, as far as the average fan is concerned - and as far as the media is concerned, entertaining football means a high-powered offense. Big plays, lots of points. You or I may be able to appreciate good defense, but sadly, most fans are focused on the offense. Look at the stats any week of the college FB season, and you see guys running for 200 yards, or passing for 400 yards. You see games in the Big 12 that look like basketball scores. then you look at the Gophers, and for the last few years, that means a decent - but not spectacular - running game, and a below-average passing game. A 3 yard gain on 3rd-and-2 is a big play for some. Other people think a big play is a 50-yard pass, or a 60-yard run for a touchdown.

For the hard-core fan, if the Gophers gain 250 yards and win the game, that's fine. But, for the casual fan, they would rather see a 40-38 game with 900 yards offense.

Right or wrong, as far as the average fan is concerned - and as far as the media is concerned, entertaining football means a high-powered offense. Big plays, lots of points. You or I may be able to appreciate good defense, but sadly, most fans are focused on the offense. Look at the stats any week of the college FB season, and you see guys running for 200 yards, or passing for 400 yards. You see games in the Big 12 that look like basketball scores. then you look at the Gophers, and for the last few years, that means a decent - but not spectacular - running game, and a below-average passing game. A 3 yard gain on 3rd-and-2 is a big play for some. Other people think a big play is a 50-yard pass, or a 60-yard run for a touchdown.

For the hard-core fan, if the Gophers gain 250 yards and win the game, that's fine. But, for the casual fan, they would rather see a 40-38 game with 900 yards offense.
For most consumers, the entertainment isn't the game, it's the experience around the game. Here's a shocking statement: The Gopherhole represents the intelligent football fan! (shiver). [emoji41]

For most consumers, the entertainment isn't the game, it's the experience around the game.

I agree. The games are all on HDTV for free or close to it. The game watching experience is generally better at home or a bar. The biggest difference between live and TV is the roar of the crowd, the communal atmosphere, the tactile sensations of being there.

Live sports require a sort of critical mass of people before it definitely gets better to be there than to watch it at home. I’m of the mind that straight out giving tickets away until capacity is reached is better than empty seats, if for no other reason than they make the paid product better. And of course, growing new customers.

Nor should it be - the Wild is a for-profit business. The University of Minnesota isn't. It's a completely different conversation.

That doesn't change the fact that, if we want to improve our ticket sales, we need to find a way to offer a better value proposition to people who don't want to use football tickets as a way to be charitable. Otherwise, the gophers will continue playing in front of some pretty embarrassing crowds.

The games are all on HDTV for free or close to it.

Huh? I guess it depends on your definition of "close to" free, but the only way the games are "close to free" is if you're comfortable going to a bar and drinking water or going to a buddy's and mooching off his premium TV package.

I agree. The games are all on HDTV for free or close to it. The game watching experience is generally better at home or a bar. The biggest difference between live and TV is the roar of the crowd, the communal atmosphere, the tactile sensations of being there.

Live sports require a sort of critical mass of people before it definitely gets better to be there than to watch it at home. I’m of the mind that straight out giving tickets away until capacity is reached is better than empty seats, if for no other reason than they make the paid product better. And of course, growing new customers.

Right. We are in a major sporting market where the Gophers have to compete for fans with the other teams. We also have the summer lake/cabin rituals that take people away during the weekends.
Of course, the ultimate products is a winning football team, but to get casual fans to come back it has to be a “can’t miss experience”. The U is unique in that it has the potential to have a student body that can give atmosphere and traditions to the game.

A lot of people love watching the Vikings and I don't think there's anything totally spectacular about their offense. Their defense is the creative side of the football, and I definitely tune in just to watch that double a-gap head game they play week in and week out. When it works that defense is just fun to watch. I thought Claeys' and Johnson's were fun to watch too. Nothing gets me more excited than a successful corner blitz.

We have a receiver as a coach so I'm sure that our throw game is going to improve under Fleck, but I would be amazed if the Gophers were ever able to run a successful Mike Leach-style air raid in Minnesota. The weather just doesn't allow for it.

Our ideal offense is a dominate pro-style, but it takes really good players across the field to run up the score with that kind of scheme.

Sorry, can't agree with this. If you look at attendance over the years, going back to Memorial Stadium, the hard-core Gopher fan base is about 25,000 to 30,000 people. They will show up for every game no matter what. Beyond that, Gopher football attendance relies on casual fans and band-wagon jumpers. If the team is winning some games, and generating some positive buzz, the casual fans will show up to take a look. But, the first big loss or poor performance, and the casual fans say "the heck with it. Same old Gophers."

To really build a strong fan base - comparable to other B1G teams - the Gophers will need to rattle off 3 or 4 really strong seasons in a row. Win 8,9 games - play in a good bowl game (one that people have heard of), and most importantly, play entertaining football, and show you can repeat that for multiple seasons, and that's when you'll start to rebuild the fan base.

Other than disagreeing about the fan base, you both make the same good points. I've likened it to coming out of a big hole. Every time for the damn near 60 years I've followed this team, when they give you hope they might make it out of the hole, they slip back down and we start over again. I'll feel we've gotten out of that hole when we win our share of the trophy games. The Broken Chair Trophy is a cute story, but I'd like to see a lot more of an Axe, a Pig, and a Jug.

Whether PJ can do it or not, nobody knows. However, even with all the turmoil and that string of drubbings to end the season, I just never had the feeling the team had quit. Military training 101 is to tear them down and then build them back up. Most coaches coming in do it, and PJ is doing it. Some of the program is too over the top for a segment of the fans, but give the guy a chance. He can gush on for 10 minutes with slogans and praise, but all it takes is a sentence or two and some people are all over his butt.

Other than disagreeing about the fan base, you both make the same good points. I've likened it to coming out of a big hole. Every time for the damn near 60 years I've followed this team, when they give you hope they might make it out of the hole, they slip back down and we start over again. I'll feel we've gotten out of that hole when we win our share of the trophy games. The Broken Chair Trophy is a cute story, but I'd like to see a lot more of an Axe, a Pig, and a Jug.

Whether PJ can do it or not, nobody knows. However, even with all the turmoil and that string of drubbings to end the season, I just never had the feeling the team had quit. Military training 101 is to tear them down and then build them back up. Most coaches coming in do it, and PJ is doing it. Some of the program is too over the top for a segment of the fans, but give the guy a chance. He can gush on for 10 minutes with slogans and praise, but all it takes is a sentence or two and some people are all over his butt.

60 years? thats a lifetime. I hope for your sake your patience is repaid within the next 2 years. I hadn't followed football that closely before the Kill era and I feel like I am sailing past Cape Farewell.

Top Bottom