STrib: Sudden impact: Gophers true freshmen who could get a look this fall

It is fun to look at the true frosh, but the real impact on defense comes from transfers, guys off injuries, and redshirted frosh:

Chris Williamson, the transfer from Florida who sat out last year, likely starts at cb (4th year guy)

OJ Smith, the transfer from Alabama who sat out last year, likely starts at dt (5th year guy)

Winfield, frosh allAmerica , starter last fall, back from inj, likely starts at safety (3rd year guy).

The redshirt comes off Otomewo Ozesi and PJ has indicated since last Oct. he will likely start at de.

Those four could really change how the defense looks, especially since a talented and experienced defensive core returns:

returning starter Coughlin in 3rd year, some allBig mention
Returning starter Barber in 3rd year, some AllBig mention
Returning starter Martin in 3rd year
Veteran standout Cashman in 4th year likely starts
Returning starter Moore in 5th year
Returning starter Huff in 4th year
Returning starter Thomas in 3rd year
Returning starter Shenault in 4th year
Returning starter DeLattiboudere provides depth in 4th year?
Returning starter Umlor moves inside and proves depth.

Plus:
4th year lb Huff has nice experience
3rd year de Devers has some experience
3rd year safety Swenson was leading tackler at spring game
4th year de Renner got some PJ love this Spring
4th year guy Silver has juco experience and has been in system for a year
5th year de Gibson was in two deep and playing before injuries last fall
3rd year db Durr is a guy who could have impact if healthy

4th year punter Herbers or 4th year transfer punter from SMU, Melvin, needs to help the defense by flipping some fields, but a lot of maturity, experience, depth and talent for Robb and his three new coaches to work with on defense.

It is fun to look at all the freshmen talent coming in on offense, but look for big impact from the older more experienced third, fourth and fifth year guys.

5th year returning starter senior Olineman Greene may break a drafted olineman drought at Minnesota.

5th year returning starter senior olineman Weyler on some preseason award watch lists

Returning starters Olson and Schlueter move into their third year. 4th year guys Oseland and Dovich both have got game experience last two years...maybe ready for more impact?

Junior wide receiver Tyler Johnson put on a clinic at Spring game. If he comes back for fourth year, he will be in AllTime Gopher record books.

Third year guy Philip Howard is a returning starter who flashed some last year while dealing with some injuries.

5th year senior Rodney Smith is already in all time Gopher record books and could be top 5 or better with a good year.

4th year TE Beebe should be healthier...starter on 9 win team in 2016, it looked like in Spring game that Kirk C/Clay P may use him more in 2018.

3rd year Te Ko Kieft looks very strong, physically mature...should help run game.

Former 4-Star recruit Seth Green moved to TE and looked like in Spring game another guy Kirk and Clay have plans for in his 3rd year.

5th year guys Carpenter (past all-big, will be in AllTime Gopher lists) and Jordahl could impact Gopher scoring, close games.

It is fun to look at all the freshmen talent coming in on offense, but look for big impact from the older more experienced third, fourth and fifth year guys.

5th year returning starter senior Olineman Greene may break a drafted olineman drought at Minnesota.

5th year returning starter senior olineman Weyler on some preseason award watch lists

Returning starters Olson and Schlueter move into their third year. 4th year guys Oseland and Dovich both have got game experience last two years...maybe ready for more impact?

Junior wide receiver Tyler Johnson put on a clinic at Spring game. If he comes back for fourth year, he will be in AllTime Gopher record books.

5th year senior Rodney Smith is already in all time Gopher record books and could be top 5 or better with a good year.

4th year TE Beebe should be healthier...starter on 9 win team in 2016, it looked like in Spring game that Kirk C/Clay P may use him more in 2018.

3rd year Te Ko Kieft looks very strong, physically mature...should help run game.

Former 4-Star recruit Seth Green moved to TE and looked like in Spring game another guy Kirk and Clay have plans for in his 3rd year.

5th year guys Carpenter (past all-big, will be in AllTime Gopher lists) and Jordahl could impact Gopher scoring, close games.

Umm what?

If you think a kid might make a significant impact based on him transferring from a helmet school, you haven't been paying attention.

Usually there’s a “Pro” and a “Con” part to any argument or situation although I admire the maniacally strict adherence to the “accentuate the positives” approach. Swingman’s exuberant and perhaps at times irrational enthusiasm counteracts my inherent crotchetiness and I appreciate it.

Yeah, the transfers are strictly - prove it to me - at this point. If PJ is gushing during camp that’s usually a good sign.

TJ is good but not sure he has the jets to make it at the next level. I think it was vs Iowa he was run down on what seemed to be a sure fire deep pass/TD. Dajon McKnight speed. Have to give him.a mulligan for all the drops as I gather he was injured. Who else will step up?

Agree the offensive line ought to be better...

R. Smith looked elite during the spring but has durability concerns. Behind him?

Lose some/gain some on the defensive line. Will a Star emerge?

Winfield ought to be elite, protect that hamstring.

Thin at safety. Improved run support from the secondary? Who’s in the two deep?

Should be good at LB with Barber a year more experienced, Cashman, Coughlin.

TE is interesting. Will they utilize the TE strictly as a blocker or integrate as a pass catching weapon?

Last but not least, the deeply experienced QB corps. Who will emerge from this year long competition. Will one or both survive a season of Big Ten defenses? Stay tuned.

When you have a program like the Gophers - especially a program that has gone through a coaching change and had some player movement, it is not unusual to have a fair amount of uncertainty.

Question to mull over - how many (if any) "sure things" are there for the Gophers? I am NOT talking about a sure thing to start - I am talking about a sure thing to be a major, productive, contributor.

There are a lot of guys on this roster, as swingman has pointed out, who have the potential to be major contributors. But almost all of those players also have some questions marks and concerns - health, consistency, position changes, effect of changes in scheme by coaches, etc.

So Again - I put it to you - how many guys on the Gopher roster are "sure things" in your evaluation?

Off the top of my head, I would say Rodney Smith. (and that still assumes good health). I like Tyler Johnson, but he can still improve in a lot of areas, including consistency. Beyond that, there are things I would like to see from every other player before I proclaim them a "sure thing" in my mind. Now, I may be a stricter grader than you. So, whatta you say?

When you have a program like the Gophers - especially a program that has gone through a coaching change and had some player movement, it is not unusual to have a fair amount of uncertainty.

Question to mull over - how many (if any) "sure things" are there for the Gophers? I am NOT talking about a sure thing to start - I am talking about a sure thing to be a major, productive, contributor.

There are a lot of guys on this roster, as swingman has pointed out, who have the potential to be major contributors. But almost all of those players also have some questions marks and concerns - health, consistency, position changes, effect of changes in scheme by coaches, etc.

So Again - I put it to you - how many guys on the Gopher roster are "sure things" in your evaluation?

Off the top of my head, I would say Rodney Smith. (and that still assumes good health). I like Tyler Johnson, but he can still improve in a lot of areas, including consistency. Beyond that, there are things I would like to see from every other player before I proclaim them a "sure thing" in my mind. Now, I may be a stricter grader than you. So, whatta you say?

Offense only?

Uncertainty is all the Gophers know for several years. They are hardly ever deep enough or talented enough to challenge for a title. But, we are always hopeful.

To me with this new I would expect almost every freshman to get a few snaps unless there not ready at all.

I guess it depends on how you are defining "sure thing." I think it's a sure thing that Tyler Johnson is a solid B1G receiver. Whether he becomes an all-conference type player is unknown at this point.

Swingman continues to try and troll and show how much experience we have, but it rings pretty hollow with the players he has to name.

I guess it depends on how you are defining "sure thing." I think it's a sure thing that Tyler Johnson is a solid B1G receiver. Whether he becomes an all-conference type player is unknown at this point.

Swingman continues to try and troll and show how much experience we have, but it rings pretty hollow with the players he has to name.

Trolling? The weird devotion to Der PJ requires one to believe we will stink until 2019, when we may be competent. Moonshot in 2020/2021. Every other opinion is bogus.

Brohm got his guys, the fans, recruits, and the media to buy in and believe early on. Nothing wrong with that.

How about the impact Freshmen? Any opinions?

Swingman has been committed to the “maturity, experience, depth and talent” bit for awhile.

If a guy can play, he can play. We've got the 4 game rule now, so playing these guys is no risk anyway. it's not like some would play 4 in a row. I don't get the "salvage" and "burn" comments. If a guy can play, he can play.

It's totally ignorant to use the "burn redshirt" term anyway. Means nothing. You can redshirt a guy any year you want, and you get 5 to play 4, right? A guy's redshirt isn't "burned" until he starts playing his 4th season. Croft red shirted his sophomore year.

Yes you can redshirt anyone in any of their first four years. But if they play as a FR and don't play year 2, usually something is wrong. Either they got hurt, have academic issues, or weren't good enough to play in the first place. Croft was a very rare exception. I would guess 75%+ of players who redshirt year 2 or 3 not due to injury transfer. If you can show where redshirting year 2 or later AND contributing is common, then I'll acknowledge that the phrase "burn redshirt" is ignorant. Otherwise, I think ignoring the fact that true freshmen who play rarely redshirt, and if they do it's likely they will not contribute is ignorant.

Yes you can redshirt anyone in any of their first four years. But if they play as a FR and don't play year 2, usually something is wrong. Either they got hurt, have academic issues, or weren't good enough to play in the first place. Croft was a very rare exception. I would guess 75%+ of players who redshirt year 2 or 3 not due to injury transfer. If you can show where redshirting year 2 or later AND contributing is common, then I'll acknowledge that the phrase "burn redshirt" is ignorant. Otherwise, I think ignoring the fact that true freshmen who play rarely redshirt, and if they do it's likely they will not contribute is ignorant.

It's just one example, but Gary Moore did it and will likely start this year.

Top Bottom