Streveler & Wolitarski playing a CFL Game now

hungan1

Reaction score
For those of you who are hungry for football - Chris Streveler & Drew Wolitarski are playing tonight - Winnipeg Blue Bombers against Montreal Alouettes on ESPN2.

I just was channel surfing and saw ESPN2 is showing the Blue Bombers. Streveler looking like the second coming of Doug Flutie...[emoji41]

Wow, what a show by Strev and Wojo.

Not to beat a dead horse, Kill really made a mistake not giving Strev more of a shot. That San Jose St. game was absurdly coached by JK.

I think they gave up too easily on him.

They wanted him to switch position.

Big miss by Kill...possibly cost us fans a National Title and also cost Jerry and staff a chance at the NFL.

FIFY with an equally preposterous statement as your original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian game fields not same dimensions. Strevlar looks like he throws better now.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Thank heavens we forced Streveler to transfer and kept Phil "The Assaulter" Nelson and Demry "Kick the Door" Croft so we didn't have to deal with a non-violent a$$ like Chris "6 TDs and Counting" Streveler making us proud. Winnipeg wins 56-10 behind Streveler. Wolitarsky catches 2. #Claeys Rocked

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/22/game-recap-wpg-56-mtl-10/

Thank heavens we forced Streveler to transfer and kept Phil "The Assaulter" Nelson and Demry "Kick the Door" Croft so we didn't have to deal with a non-violent a$$ like Chris "6 TDs and Counting" Streveler making us proud. Winnipeg wins 56-10 behind Streveler. Wolitarsky catches 2. #Claeys Rocked

To be fair not many recognized the talent. Kill and his coaches saw enough to offer him a scholarship when everyone else passed which is a positive...but either weren’t willing to engage in a distracting QB controversy with Mitch or didn’t like what they saw on the practice field and didn’t want to put a raw guy on the field. He didn’t really fully blossom until his Sr. year and the coaches probably went with the devil they know. Sometimes injuries to starters unveil greatness in the backups and there wasn’t a real opportunity as Mitch was really durable through his career.

Furthermore, the writing was on the wall when Croft played instead of Streveler in 2015. Obviously the opinion (and who know who was lobbying for who) was more for Croft at the time. Then in 2016 rumblings about Green being the future. Claeys was as good at defense as he was bad at offense it seems.

Right or wrong, Kill and Claeys had a system, and Strev just seemed to be a bad fit for the system. Kill had productive QB play at Northern Illinois with largely the same coaching staff. So, after coming to MN, either he forgot everything he knew - or was deliberately trying to screw things up - or for some reason I don't grasp, made a decision to scale back his offense and make it as vanilla as possible.

Maybe he thought that the style he used at NIll wouldn't work in the B1G. I don't know.

Hindsight is always 20-20. We're comparing the Chris Streveler of 2018 against the Chris Streveler of 2015. The 2018 version looks like a completely different player. You can blame Kill, or credit the staff at SDSU, but SDSU unlocked aspects of his game that he was probably never going to tap at MN.

I wish the kid the best in the CFL. Right now, it looks tailor-made for his game. More power to him.

As far as the Gophers - the Coach is named Fleck and the QB will be Morgan or Annexstad. Kill is not coming back. Claeys is not coming back. Leidner is not coming back. Complaining will not change the past.

As Wren/the Walrus says, it's all about Big Ten Wins. In December, or January, we'll know what the Gopher's record was for 2018. And then we can complain about everything we didn't like during the season.

Nice game. I went with the money line for $10k. CFL betting is easy money.

Right or wrong, Kill and Claeys had a system, and Strev just seemed to be a bad fit for the system. Kill had productive QB play at Northern Illinois with largely the same coaching staff. So, after coming to MN, either he forgot everything he knew - or was deliberately trying to screw things up - or for some reason I don't grasp, made a decision to scale back his offense and make it as vanilla as possible.

Maybe he thought that the style he used at NIll wouldn't work in the B1G. I don't know.

Hindsight is always 20-20. We're comparing the Chris Streveler of 2018 against the Chris Streveler of 2015. The 2018 version looks like a completely different player. You can blame Kill, or credit the staff at SDSU, but SDSU unlocked aspects of his game that he was probably never going to tap at MN.

I wish the kid the best in the CFL. Right now, it looks tailor-made for his game. More power to him.

As far as the Gophers - the Coach is named Fleck and the QB will be Morgan or Annexstad. Kill is not coming back. Claeys is not coming back. Leidner is not coming back. Complaining will not change the past.

As Wren/the Walrus says, it's all about Big Ten Wins. In December, or January, we'll know what the Gopher's record was for 2018. And then we can complain about everything we didn't like during the season.

Other than the fact that Streveler played at USD, your post is spot on.

Other than the fact that Streveler played at USD, your post is spot on.

And left out is that the CFL is barely on par with college football, and just a fraction above indoor football. When the AAF starts in the spring, it might end up in 3rd place. Fun to watch, but the talent level is masked by the Canadian player compliment requirement, the bigger field, extra player, "offence" in motion plays, and the 20 yard end zone. Top 10 NCAA teams could beat these guys like a drum on talent alone.

Without looking: Other than Streveler and Wolitarsky, name 5 starting QB, 5 top receivers, and 5 top running backs. The average American football fan might get 3 of 15 on a good day.

I think Streveler was actually an ideal dual threat QB that should have flourished here but it all comes back to the coaches and their system and sometimes players need a different regime to develop the talent. It happens.

We are seeing the unraveling of two dearly-held axioms:
1) Coaches always know best and never disagree - best talent always finds a way.
2) recruiting rankings don't take offers into account (247 explicitly said they do).

And left out is that the CFL is barely on par with college football, and just a fraction above indoor football. When the AAF starts in the spring, it might end up in 3rd place. Fun to watch, but the talent level is masked by the Canadian player compliment requirement, the bigger field, extra player, "offence" in motion plays, and the 20 yard end zone. Top 10 NCAA teams could beat these guys like a drum on talent alone.

Without looking: Other than Streveler and Wolitarsky, name 5 starting QB, 5 top receivers, and 5 top running backs. The average American football fan might get 3 of 15 on a good day.

It's a different game, but this is an ignorant take.

Nelson transferred a couple years before Streveler transferred.

Folks here have it right - no one knows what Streveler could have done at minn but without doubt the qb position was mishandled by Jerry and staff and minn is still paying the price. Epic fail and the fans deserved better.

Nelson transferred a couple years before Streveler transferred.

That is true but they were here at the same time. I agree with the last poster that our QB situation was handled badly. Most QBs stick around hoping they get to start one or two years. It seems we have never had a "named" starter going into August. Hopefully Fleck will change that but he hasn't yet but the cupboard was completely dry. Kill built a program and Claeys sent it backward again. Now for the umpteenth time we are in rebuilding mode. It's just frustrating that year after year we can't seem to get it right at the most important position.

2013 Nelson and Streveler were at Minnesota. Nelson transfers and beats the crap out of a poor guy in a jealous rage
2013 Leidner starts
2014 Leidner starts
2015 Leidner starts
2016 Leidner starts Streveler transfers to SD
2017 Rhoda and Croft start Streveler plays at SD (player of the year)
2018 Streveler starts at Winnipeg (and does awesome so far)

That is true but they were here at the same time. I agree with the last poster that our QB situation was handled badly. Most QBs stick around hoping they get to start one or two years. It seems we have never had a "named" starter going into August. Hopefully Fleck will change that but he hasn't yet but the cupboard was completely dry. Kill built a program and Claeys sent it backward again. Now for the umpteenth time we are in rebuilding mode. It's just frustrating that year after year we can't seem to get it right at the most important position.

2013 Nelson and Streveler were at Minnesota. Nelson transfers and beats the crap out of a poor guy in a jealous rage
2013 Leidner starts
2014 Leidner starts
2015 Leidner starts
2016 Leidner starts Streveler transfers to SD
2017 Rhoda and Croft start Streveler plays at SD (player of the year)
2018 Streveler starts at Winnipeg (and does awesome so far)

:rolleyes: Yes it was awful to have a good defense.

Some of you better hope Croft doesn’t do well...

Two TD receptions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ok I will jump in here. I am pretty sure I have watched/attended more CFL games than the whole board conbined.
I will post in numbers to remeber Nov.6, 199.

1. As Highwayman ignorantly states, it is a different game. That said lots of big time NCAA guys have not succeeded in the CFL. Worth noting, Streveler is currently outplaying Johnny Manziel and Jeremiah Masoli.
2. Streveler does seem to have a so-so arm. The big field and motion does mitigate this. You know who else had a mediocre arm? Every Gopher QB since Hohensee.
3. He is an amazing athlete who seems to have to really understand the game. He threw balls away yesterday that other Gopher qbs (Weber cough, Leidner cough) would have forced.
4. They would have needed to design an offense for him but Streveler could have done huge things at Minnesota. Total missed opportunity.

Ok I will jump in here. I am pretty sure I have watched/attended more CFL games than the whole board conbined.

1. As Highwayman ignorantly states, it is a different game. That said lots of big time NCAA guys have not succeeded in the CFL. Worth noting, Streveler is currently outplaying Johnny Manziel and Jeremiah Masoli.
2. Streveler does seem to have a so-so arm. The big field and motion does mitigate this. You know who else had a mediocre arm? Every Gopher QB since Hohensee.
3. He is an amazing athlete who seems to have to really understand the game. He threw balls away yesterday that other Gopher qbs (Weber cough, Leidner cough) would have forced.
4. They would have needed to design an offense for him but Streveler could have done huge things at Minnesota. Total missed opportunity.

Hard to know how capable Johnny even is with all his past issues. But otherwise I don't disagree.

Disagreement is not ignorance. I have been watching the CFL since 1980. I've been to games and the Saskatchewan Roughriders are my favorite team.
It's fun to watch, but it is such a variant of the sport that it is simply incomparable. The talent a player needs to succeed is not as clear as it is in the American game of football. A CFL player needs athletic talent, but it is not high-level college football talent. My comment was that playing in straight up American football, the CFL teams would be beaten regularly.

When the USFL was around in the 1980s, the CFL barely survived because all the good Americans left. The CFL succeeds as a cottage industry because of the 20 Canadian player per team requirement and the fans love it. That's 180 players--most that played Canadian college ball--that are there by nationality, not necessarily talent. There are probably 180 American ex-collegiates that could take those spots...

Top Bottom