Streveler & Wolitarski playing a CFL Game now

Disagreement is not ignorance. I have been watching the CFL since 1980. It's fun to watch, but it is such a variant of the sport that it is simply incomparable. The talent a player needs to succeed is not as clear as it is in the American game of football. A CFL player needs talent, but it is not true football talent. The comment was that playing in straight up American football, the CFL teams would be beaten regularly.

Depends. If an NFL team played a CFL team using CFL rules, I think the CFL team has an obvious advantage. If they play using NFL rules, the NFL team has an advantage. I would say that the two leagues requires different types of athletes and skill sets. Some people could move back and forth and be effective in either league. I suspect other players would have more difficulty. There are guys who do well in the CFL who would struggle in the NFL, and I submit there are guys who do well in the NFL who would have trouble adapting to the CFL.

Depends. If an NFL team played a CFL team using CFL rules, I think the CFL team has an obvious advantage. If they play using NFL rules, the NFL team has an advantage. I would say that the two leagues requires different types of athletes and skill sets. Some people could move back and forth and be effective in either league. I suspect other players would have more difficulty. There are guys who do well in the CFL who would struggle in the NFL, and I submit there are guys who do well in the NFL who would have trouble adapting to the CFL.

The NFL would destroy the CFL under either rules.

I disagree totally. There are 20 players on every CFL team that are there because they are Canadian, not by talent. American teams would whip these guys pretty badly.

I disagree totally. There are 20 players on every CFL team that are there because they are Canadian, not by talent. American teams would whip these guys pretty badly.

You meant “Canadian”. Somehow California born Wolitarski qualifies as a “Canadian” because his uncle’s brother’s cousin was from somewhere in Saskatchewan......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No disrespect intended to the CFL or Winnipeg Gopher but it says something about our lack of QB talent lately that this thread has had so much life.

Just like the worst nfl team would obliterate the best NCAA team, IMO NFL >>CFL in terms of talent which should be plainly obvious. What one poster said, though, was the CFL is barely on par with college football which is a little to a lot hyperbolic. These CFL players are full grown men with the football savvy that comes with years of experience. I would bet quite a lot of money they would light up most FBS teams under CFL rules. The players seem to be generally just below NFL grade talent and some seem to be NFL capable based on what I’ve seen.

But, put a top program loaded with blue chippers like Alabama or Ohio State and they could probably just bludgeon their way down the field. OTOH are FBS team deep enough on the back end to contain CFL aerial attacks? It would be an interesting spectacle but I’d probably guess a top power 5 program would win. It would be a fun exhibition - make it so. That would be a Rocky vs Drago type of event rather than the usual FCS patsies the SEC favors.

Folks here have it right - no one knows what Streveler could have done at minn but without doubt the qb position was mishandled by Jerry and staff and minn is still paying the price. Epic fail and the fans deserved better.

Justin Gaard on the Sunday show pretty much restated my post here. definitely a proud moment for me. He stated that he heard the former coaching staff say they messed up the QB position.

Disagreement is not ignorance. I have been watching the CFL since 1980. I've been to games and the Saskatchewan Roughriders are my favorite team.
It's fun to watch, but it is such a variant of the sport that it is simply incomparable. The talent a player needs to succeed is not as clear as it is in the American game of football. A CFL player needs athletic talent, but it is not high-level college football talent. My comment was that playing in straight up American football, the CFL teams would be beaten regularly.

When the USFL was around in the 1980s, the CFL barely survived because all the good Americans left. The CFL succeeds as a cottage industry because of the 20 Canadian player per team requirement and the fans love it. That's 180 players--most that played Canadian college ball--that are there by nationality, not necessarily talent. There are probably 180 American ex-collegiates that could take those spots...

Actually, I can't really disagree with any of this- as you say some Americans have the skill set others don't and often they come from smaller colleges rather than traditional powers.

I am having a harder time dealing with Sask being your favorite team. The Riders are essenially Iowa of the north (although Sask people are good people as long as they are not talking footbal)l.

By the time Nichols gets back from his injury, everyone in Canada will know that Streveler & Wolitarsky were roommates at Minnesota.

By the time Nichols gets back from his injury, everyone in Canada will know that Streveler & Wolitarsky were roommates at Minnesota.

You watched the game, eh? If Beth Mowins were transplanted up north and gets ahold of the Streveler to Wolitarsky thing watch out; along the lines of “Anoother Streveler to Wolitarsky ROOMMATE CONNECTION - How about that?” or something else that is hurtful to the ears.

Streveler was player of the week in the CFL. Media loves his personalty. Gophs missed on this guy.

Is the starter coming back soon? Is he an entrenched star, ie what are the odds of a QB controversy if Streveler continues to roll the nest week or two?

Is the starter coming back soon? Is he an entrenched star, ie what are the odds of a QB controversy if Streveler continues to roll the nest week or two?

Matt Nicholls is out 4-6 weeks. He is one of the best QBs in the CFL and will play when healthy.

Shame on us for not recruiting him [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not so much “Kill and Claeys missed” angle that I’m interested in although the notoriously insecure segment of the fan base on here sees it that way; it’s more of a really good rags to riches sports story; particularly if he continues to develop and gets a new contract as a starter in the next few years.

Justin Gaard on the Sunday show pretty much restated my post here. definitely a proud moment for me. He stated that he heard the former coaching staff say they messed up the QB position.

I think everyone knows they messed up the QB position.

Also, not sure his name gets misspelled so many times but it's Wolitarsky.

If Streveler and Wolitarsky try to come back from Canada to the US to play football, will there be a tariff on them?

Bomber night is on Friday 6/29 vs the Tigercats.

This will be Streveler's first real test. The first game was a weather gong show and then Montreal is epically bad. Hamilton has a good D led by former Gopher Simoni Lawrence.

This will be Streveler's first real test. The first game was a weather gong show and then Montreal is epically bad. Hamilton has a good D led by former Gopher Simoni Lawrence.

with every Streveler CFL connection we see a little more of Jerry's flaw colored underpants.

Hamilton definitely a much better and aggressive defense than they’ve seen. Streveler flustered and showing his inexperience. Seemed out of sync with the receivers all night and getting blitzed mercilessly.

I have no idea what Winnipeg was doing defensively. That was atrocious secondary play. Why bother rushing 4 vs a max protect scheme and on top of that playing a charmin soft zone. I don’t think there was a guy within 5 yards of a Ticat reception all night. Is this typical for a CFL defense, or just Winnipeg, WinnipegGopher? Other teams ought to adopt their unique 7 man protection if teams aren’t going to cover the few receivers out there.

Fun game nonetheless. I sort of like these CFL rules.

Yeah, I am now watchin these games to get my jag. If they would get more American names they might actually get some attention from the states.

Hamilton definitely a much better and aggressive defense than they’ve seen. Streveler flustered and showing his inexperience. Seemed out of sync with the receivers all night and getting blitzed mercilessly.

I have no idea what Winnipeg was doing defensively. That was atrocious secondary play. Why bother rushing 4 vs a max protect scheme and on top of that playing a charmin soft zone. I don’t think there was a guy within 5 yards of a Ticat reception all night. Is this typical for a CFL defense, or just Winnipeg, WinnipegGopher? Other teams ought to adopt their unique 7 man protection if teams aren’t going to cover the few receivers out there.

Fun game nonetheless. I sort of like these CFL rules.

Yeah, Winnipeg's defense has been ****e for a few years. Lots of good players but they give up so many yards. That said, it looks like the light has gone on for Masoli. He looks good.

Top Bottom