Maryland 2018-19

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211719106

Eleanna Christinaki turns pro.

Senior Eleanna Christinaki of the Maryland women’s basketball team will return home to Europe to play with the Greek National Team this summer and professionally next season, head coach Brenda Frese announced Friday.

Christinaki, a 6-0 guard from Athens, Greece, became eligible to play for the Terrapins in December and saw action in 22 games, starting in 16. She averaged 11.8 points per game with 4.6 rebounds on the year. She scored a career-high 32 in her Maryland debut at Coppin State.

"We are excited for Eleanna that she will be living out her dream to become a pro,” Frese said. “We pride ourselves with the number of players we have helped earn that opportunity while playing here at Maryland. We appreciate all that she has meant to our team and program. We wish her all the best."

Christinaki earned All-Big Ten honorable mention honors and was twice named to the Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll.

This is a noticeable loss for Maryland, although they have plenty of talent remaining. Christinaki, IMO, was a bit of a ball hog sometimes in the Maryland games I saw last year. That may have been a case of her just trying to do too much. I'm thinking that Maryland should still be the conference favorite going into next season, although let's not forget that the Gophers spanked the Terps at Williams near the end of last year. I read that Bueckers has made a visit to Maryland. Really hoping that the doesn't go there...I'll admit that part of my feelings are based on the fact that I'm not a Freese fan. (I'll acknowledge that she is a good coach, but it seems that some of her players grow weary of hearing the same messages and cliches over and over again.)

Maryland is really, really good. Again. They demolished South Carolina today, which will give the league RPI a nice boost

Not surprised they crushed SC. Losing the best player in school history will usually make a team take a step back.

It was a dominant performance:

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...me-final-score-stats-blowout-win-brenda-frese

Three things to know

1. Blair Watson led the way. In four games thus far, Maryland has been carried by a different scorer on offense in each contest. This time around it was Watson, who has worked so hard to come all the way back from a torn ACL suffered in January. She played 36 minutes, her highest total of the season, and scored a team-high 20 points while finishing with a plus-minus of +28.

2. The first-half run was magical. Down 12 in the early going, it seemed as though the Terps had met their first real test of the season. But on the road in a tough environment, they went on a game-changing run. For the final 14-plus minutes of the first half, the Terps outscored South Carolina by a 39-8 margin, completely blowing the home team out of the water.

3. Maryland will head to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving. The Terps won’t play until Friday, but they’ll play a back-to-back in the Puerto Rico Clasico in San Juan. They’ll kick off the tournament against Morgan State at noon ET on Friday, and then a marquee matchup against No. 14 Georgia will follow on Saturday afternoon at noon ET.

“#14” Georgia will fall off the next Top 25 poll since they lost twice this week.

Maryland over JMU 87-64 to advance to 9-0.
Charles & Fraser with 24 pts ea

Terps were the clear favorite in the BIG heading into the season and after watching them play two or three times, I'd say that they should be even more of a favorite now, as Iowa has looked more beatable than I thought they would be. Charles is a legit BIG first-teamer. Maryland has some nice experienced players in Charles, Fraser, Jones, and Watson...and a couple of nice first year players in Mikesell (sp?) and Austin. I really like the 6'5" Austin. I think she'll have a chance to be one of the leading rebounders in the BIG, which is loaded with good rebounders this year, highlighted by Gunderson, Bello, and Akpanah of Northwestern. IMO, this year in the BIG, the betting line should be the Terps against the field.

Top Bottom