Sid: Gophers stay hot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers stay hot

The Gophers football team continues to bring in great prospects for the Class of 2019. On Tuesday they had running back Treyson Potts from Williamsport, Pa.; tackle Joacheim Price from Algonquin (Ill.) Jacobs; wide receiver Tre Mosley from West Bloomfield, Mich., and running back Darwin Barlow from Newton, Texas, on campus.

Coach P.J. Fleck continues to impress recruits when he gets them to the U. Potts, who was being recruited by schools such as Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland, committed Wednesday.

The Gophers now rank fourth in the Big Ten in recruiting according to 247 Sports, behind only Ohio State, Michigan and Purdue. They are 20th in the nation and their 18 commitments are tied with Texas A&M for the most of any school in the country.

Look for them to get more commitments before midnight Monday when the NCAA enters a dead zone for recruiting for a month.

http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-top-pick-possesses-the-skills-team-needs/486222211/

Go Gophers!!

Pretty good class so far, no doubt. But citing these rankings before they mean anything is a little disingenuous. Same thing happened last year. "Top 25 class" was pimped by Fleckites far and wide. We ended up in the 40s (as predicted by many others), and that's likely where we'll end up again. If we lose a guy like Bargy, it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Fleck is doing recruiting wise (despite the GWG troll rant de jour to follow this post). But, that doesn't mean I'm going to start blowing smoke up anyone's rear that'll listen.

2cobfh.jpg

Pretty good class so far, no doubt. But citing these rankings before they mean anything is a little disingenuous. Same thing happened last year. "Top 25 class" was pimped by Fleckites far and wide. We ended up in the 40s (as predicted by many others), and that's likely where we'll end up again. If we lose a guy like Bargy, it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Fleck is doing recruiting wise (despite the GWG troll rant de jour to follow this post). But, that doesn't mean I'm going to start blowing smoke up anyone's rear that'll listen.

38th.

Tied with Brewster @ Texas A&M

It is not disingenuous, it is fact. It could be misleading to some, but it is never the less a measuring stick for this point in time. We are up in the front pack at this point in the marathon with several fast finishers behind us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is, in a race, runners follow a strategy. Some go out hard to get separation from the pack, others lay back and preserve energy for a closing kick.

My brother is a long-time track coach, and he tends to coach his kids to not go out too fast. it's easy to get excited and try to run with the rabbits at the front of the pack, but that can bite you in the final lap.

In the end, they hand out medals and ribbons based on the final order of finish, not on lap times or splits.

It would be interesting to hear from Fleck if this is part of a designed plan to land as many early commits as possible.

short ornery norwegian; In the end said:
Yeah the end is the final result, but in every race I've watched from the Olympics on down, they also keep track of the lap times and splits and use that info in their analysis and discussions....

there is Nothing wrong with doing that.

Everything in life is a process....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On average ranking per recruit, Gophers at 13th in Big Ten per 247 (84.83) and 12th per Rivals (2.78).

Well.......

USA Today's recap on 2/8 shows:

24/7 32
ESPN 30
Rivals 42

So on 2/8 the Gophers were ranked in the lower 30s by two services and low forty's by one. It averaged 35 on signing day, but according to the current ranking of 38, we've dropped some dropped since signing day.

Since the composite ranking is a simple average of the top three services (hardly an exact scientific approach), the drop to 38 can be explained thusly:

24/7 reports the Gophers still at 32
Rivals reports the Gophers dropping 1 spot to 43
ESPN has not reported updated numbers I can find, but to get to an average of 38, ESPN has to have dropped to 38th or 39th.

It's clearly an inexact science and there isn't information that suggests one is better than the other. You can claim we were in the 40s and be right. You can claim we were in the 30th and be right.

We'll see what happens on the field.

For all of the hand wringing about the roster the he "inherited", we'll see who is still on the roster from his first few classes a year or two from now. If we give him the leeway to use that as an excuse and an example of the "other guys" not doing it the right way, certainly we can hold him accountable if he can't hold the classes together.

On average ranking per recruit, Gophers at 13th in Big Ten per 247 (84.83) and 12th per Rivals (2.78).

What if you ditch the LS and kicker where would that put us? Or does it already factor that...just curious because I'm super surprised at how low that is given the croots PJ has been getting.

What if you ditch the LS and kicker where would that put us? Or does it already factor that...just curious because I'm super surprised at how low that is given the croots PJ has been getting.

Becomes .8561, which is between Maryland and Northwestern...

Becomes .8561, which is between Maryland and Northwestern...

But means you should ditch the K and/or LS on the other teams too. When I did it a few days ago in another thread we only moved from 13th to 11th in average ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But means you should ditch the K and/or LS on the other teams too. When I did it a few days ago in another thread we only moved from 13th to 11th in average ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This class is shaping up really nicely IMO. Getting the class filled out early keeps us from having to fill in from who’s left at the end which will happen for a number of the other schools in the middle of the B1G. I also think that the national recruiting scene discounts the MN football scene and therefore our MN kids would have higher grades had they played elsewhere.

This class is shaping up really nicely IMO. Getting the class filled out early keeps us from having to fill in from who’s left at the end which will happen for a number of the other schools in the middle of the B1G. I also think that the national recruiting scene discounts the MN football scene and therefore our MN kids would have higher grades had they played elsewhere.

Also the difference in average rating from 4-13 in the B1G is not very much in general this year.

Last year we had very few low rated guys...this year it is the majority. Since he is going to bounce 10 to 15 guys from the team to get to his 23, 24, 25 stated incoming class size scholarships, does that mean some of these lower rated guys will become casualties too? (If we could land higher rated players?)

Coyle said and PJ said, recruiting ranks are important to them. I cannot believe either is going to be satisfied with a 40 or 50 something ranked class as more teams get closer to 25 recruits in December this year. Last year, two teams ranked in the Top 50 with an average rating of 84 point anything. All other teams were 85 avg rating or higher in the Top 50. Washington St made it to #45 with 27 guys. Indiana to #48 with 26 guys. Our average rating is 84.83 presently. Last year that would not be Top 50 with 25 guys.

We have so many lower rated guys if we lose a Top Rated player or two we have to replace them with another like rated guy to stay in the 50's.

Puzzling to me...what we are doing unless we just can't land anybody better? But, we did last year. So if the bubble has burst already, hopefully this year PJ realizes wins do matter more than culture. (whatever he means by that?)

Last year we had very few low rated guys...this year it is the majority. Since he is going to bounce 10 to 15 guys from the team to get to his 23, 24, 25 stated incoming class size scholarships, does that mean some of these lower rated guys will become casualties too? (If we could land higher rated players?)

Coyle said and PJ said, recruiting ranks are important to them. I cannot believe either is going to be satisfied with a 40 or 50 something ranked class as more teams get closer to 25 recruits in December this year. Last year, two teams ranked in the Top 50 with an average rating of 84 point anything. All other teams were 85 avg rating or higher in the Top 50. Washington St made it to #45 with 27 guys. Indiana to #48 with 26 guys. Our average rating is 84.83 presently. Last year that would not be Top 50 with 25 guys.

We have so many lower rated guys if we lose a Top Rated player or two we have to replace them with another like rated guy to stay in the 50's.

Puzzling to me...what we are doing unless we just can't land anybody better? But, we did last year. So if the bubble has burst already, hopefully this year PJ realizes wins do matter more than culture. (whatever he means by that?)

My family has this theory - as people age they either resist change more and more (resenting that things aren’t as they once were) or they embrace the life they’ve lived and the time they have left to reap what they’ve sewn. I hope PJ can prove to you change is sometimes good and give us all a taste of success that our fan base is starving for.

My family has this theory - as people age they either resist change more and more (resenting that things aren’t as they once were) or they embrace the life they’ve lived and the time they have left to reap what they’ve sewn. I hope PJ can prove to you change is sometimes good and give us all a taste of success that our fan base is starving for.

Anything I said that wasn't true? “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” In addition, you make less sense because all I did was compare this year to last year... PJ is responsible for both classes.

In addition, I'm making points, asking questions. Your prejudice that my age makes my comments invalid is not my problem.

Anything I said that wasn't true? “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” In addition, you make less sense because all I did was compare this year to last year... PJ is responsible for both classes.

Do you think the players that have committed already won't be reevaluated which could possible change their overall rating? Whether that rating goes up or down.

Do you think the players that have committed already won't be reevaluated which could possible change their overall rating? Whether that rating goes up or down.

Absolutely! Could the next 5 guys be 5 star recruits? Absolutely! Would that raise our average rating? Absolutely! But, the starting line isn't the same this year. We are starting this year with more lower ranked people of our 19 commits than last year. We added our two highest rated recruits at the buzzer and that got us to #38.

I'm just saying...the discussion I have heard from PJ is that recruiting would continue to improve each year. Right now there is no evidence of that. 100% in June it is possible for it to happen come December. I'm not sure boosting some scores of this group is the answer to surpassing #38 in 2019. If it happens, I don't think that is how it will happen.

Absolutely! Could the next 5 guys be 5 star recruits? Absolutely! Would that raise our average rating? Absolutely! But, the starting line isn't the same this year. We are starting this year with more lower ranked people of our 19 commits than last year. We added our two highest rated recruits at the buzzer and that got us to #38.

I'm just saying...the discussion I have heard from PJ is that recruiting would continue to improve each year. Right now there is no evidence of that. 100% in June it is possible for it to happen come December. I'm not sure boosting some scores of this group is the answer to surpassing #38 in 2019. If it happens, I don't think that is how it will happen.

Why does it have to surpass 38 in 2019? I heard the quote that Fleck apparently said to the staff there is no reason not to be in the top 25 recruiting wise. Did that mean he meant the 2019 class or did he mean down the line?

Regardless, say the the 2019 class finishes inside the top 50. I would assume along with the 2018 ranked class that probably would the two highest ranked back to back recruiting classes at Minnesota in a long time.

Top Bottom