Gary Trent Jr.

I agree that going to the U would not have hurt him and I am not sure that Duke elevated him in the view of the NBA scouts as much as he had expected.

I have been hearing the hype on Trent for years, and since I watch no HS BB except the HS Tourney games that are televised, so I looked forward to the game a few years back when Apple Valley played Hopkins. Trent was very hyped even then, and my recollection was the Amir Coffey got the best of him and played some very strong, blanket like D on Trent. My takeaway was that I'd rather have Amir Coffey than Gary Trent on my roster if I were a HC, even though obviously both are very talented.

Good riddance to these guys who think they are too good for the U of M. I am not too sad that R. Travis decided to go to Kentucky either. It would have been nice to have him as a role/ bench player, but in the Stanford clips Mike Max played the other day he did not look very explosive at all, he moved more like a 35 year old than Miles Bridges in my jaded view.

I like the young guys Pitino has been able to bring in for this year, and the talent is not a concern going forward at the U of M.

lol

Agree with what you say about what K is selling him but what he is selling is a whole lot more than what the U can offer. There is no getting around the idea that he went to play for a better coach, with better players at a historic program that puts guys in the NBA. That is what Trent heard. What loyalty are you selling, what you want him to feel ? It is cool when a young person gets the chance to pick what school they want. It is there dream. The best loyalty is for one to stay true to himself.

players put themselves in the NBA.. not spending one season at a college. That is part of their sales pitch but no evidence that they turn a non NBA prospect into NBA player in one season. I remember a kid from Augsburg played NBA several years had nothing to do with their Augsburg staff or program history. Heck how many walk ons or non top 100 rated players has coach K turned into NBA players? Players used to go from Highschool to NBA. Duke gets better players and have much better post season potential and win a ton of games....and there in lies a logical attraction.. the rest is mostly is nice sales pitch

No guaranteed contract for GT, I’m sure he was not expecting that.

He would have had more time to develop and grow as a player. Not all players are NBA ready after one year and that is all you will get at a one and done school. There are people discussing red shirting freshman in another thread, same concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is just a salty take.

The thing that held back Gary Trent Jr.'s draft stock was his lack of elite athleticism. He is a shot maker/shot taker type. He doesn't create well for himself and likely would look much better playing on a team with out elite offensive players (like Duke) than he would have at MN, especially at the end. His inability to create his own shot would have been further exposed.

The bitterness in your take also has blinded you to the truth about the NBA. Going back to school rarely helps players, even if they dominate.

Gary Trent Jr. will play in the NBA and he will make millions of dollars doing so. I'm sure he is fine with his chosen path.

Another case of someone who thought he was too good to play for the U. He will have to follow the path he chose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BOOM! goes the dynamite.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He'll be fine. I don't think his draft stock would have improved if he came to the U. As many have noted, the issue was his athleticism, not that he was the third or fourth option on his loaded college team. The athleticism problem wasn't going to be any different no matter where he went to school. He got a year of great education for free, made it to the Elite Eight, and is now getting an opportunity in the NBA. I'm guessing he is fine with his choices.

This is just a salty take.

The thing that held back Gary Trent Jr.'s draft stock was his lack of elite athleticism. He is a shot maker/shot taker type. He doesn't create well for himself and likely would look much better playing on a team with out elite offensive players (like Duke) than he would have at MN, especially at the end. His inability to create his own shot would have been further exposed.

The bitterness in your take also has blinded you to the truth about the NBA. Going back to school rarely helps players, even if they dominate.

Gary Trent Jr. will play in the NBA and he will make millions of dollars doing so. I'm sure he is fine with his chosen path.

Your take is quite a bit saltier than mine with direct criticism of him. I didn’t follow Jr. in college, don’t even know much about his game.
All players need seasoning to develop into better players. Traditionally, players developed on their college team and then continued at the NBA level. In today’s environment, players come out of college way too early and NBA teams have to take the risk the player will work out. Obviously, none of the NBA teams thought Gary was worth the risk of a first round pick, at this point in his career. It may have helped him to stay in college another year, something he may not of had the option to do at Duke. As a second round draft pick he will have to show his worth much faster than a first rounder.

Your take is quite a bit saltier than mine with direct criticism of him. I didn’t follow Jr. in college, don’t even know much about his game.
All players need seasoning to develop into better players. Traditionally, players developed on their college team and then continued at the NBA level. In today’s environment, players come out of college way too early and NBA teams have to take the risk the player will work out. Obviously, none of the NBA teams thought Gary was worth the risk of a first round pick, at this point in his career. It may have helped him to stay in college another year, something he may not of had the option to do at Duke. As a second round draft pick he will have to show his worth much faster than a first rounder.

No, they don't. The success rate for one-and-done's in the NBA is proven. Heck, even the success rate for the HS kids before the rules changes was remarkable.

No, they don't. The success rate for one-and-done's in the NBA is proven. Heck, even the success rate for the HS kids before the rules changes was remarkable.

Two words: Ndudi Ebi

Let's face it, the kid was born and raised to be an NBA lottery pick, just like his dad. Junior was a top 10 recruit who was sent away to a prep school because competition at Apple Valley wasn't good enough. The fact that he not only wasn't a lottery pick, but even a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, goes against everything he's had planned for his life.

Let's face it, the kid was born and raised to be an NBA lottery pick, just like his dad. Junior was a top 10 recruit who was sent away to a prep school because competition at Apple Valley wasn't good enough. The fact that he not only wasn't a lottery pick, but even a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, goes against everything he's had planned for his life.

Most second rounders still get guaranteed contracts, especially the ones in the early second round. Actually, pretty good chance Trent's is guaranteed for two years which is the same as a first round deal.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...aranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

"In the past two seasons, every college player that was selected among the top 50 picks — a total of 30 of which came in the second round — received a guaranteed contract. Of those 30, 22 were given a two-year guaranteed deal. In 2017, that would equate to roughly $2.19 million guaranteed at minimum. Some players — Boston’s Semi Ojeleye, Sacramento’s Frank Mason, Houston’s Damyean Dotson — received more than the minimum. Ojeleye’s salary this season was just $100,000 less than that of Josh Hart, the 30th pick in the draft."

Probably helps that Portland traded for Gary, they feel like they have something invested in him. They definitely have a ton of guards and who knows what free agents they sign. Gary might get stuck in the G-League and head overseas after a couple years bouncing back and forth.

Top Bottom