Gary Trent Jr.

Stan

Reaction score
Dude fell to the second round. Dude had no intention to do anything other than 1-and-done, and now he's going to have to fight to make the roster, or he could find himself in the G League or playing overseas.

Dude fell to the second round. Dude had no intention to do anything other than 1-and-done, and now he's going to have to fight to make the roster, or he could find himself in the G League or playing overseas.

He did almost everything needed to go in the first round. But when your the 3rd or 4th best player on a stacked team, it can hurt you. What would have he averaged on the Gophers? 23ppg?

------------

Trent Jr. made a freshman-record 97 three-pointers and led the ACC in three-point shooting (40.2 percent) last season as a freshman at Duke. He averaged 14.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.16 steals in 37 games, all starts.

Another case of someone who thought he was too good to play for the U. He will have to follow the path he chose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He did almost everything needed to go in the first round. But when your the 3rd or 4th best player on a stacked team, it can hurt you. What would have he averaged on the Gophers? 23ppg?

------------

Trent Jr. made a freshman-record 97 three-pointers and led the ACC in three-point shooting (40.2 percent) last season as a freshman at Duke. He averaged 14.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.16 steals in 37 games, all starts.

I wonder if Pitino texted this to Matthew Hurt yet?

Another case of someone who thought he was too good to play for the U. He will have to follow the path he chose.

talk about a salty opinion. He chose to go elsewhere.

------------

He would have suffered a season ending injury.

He'll be fine. His stock wasn't going to be higher and in fact, was probably as high as it can get. He just shot over 40% from 3, which is in high demand in the NBA. Duke reloads every year so its not like he would keep moving up the depth chart. Portland (who acquired him via trade) will likely play him decent minutes if he can knock down the 3. I think he did well to come out this year.

The question isn't whether or not he would have done better as the big fish in a lake, or as a big fish in an ocean. Would he have been better served to return to Duke?

Their NCAA run didn't help him much at all. Had they gone further and he hit some clutch 3's he would have gone higher. So, if he had returned, would he have been the man to shoot the clutch shots at the end of Duke games with their 5 5* freshman coming in? Cause if that would have happened, I'm certain he would have moved up to the first round next year.

I've heard playing ball in Turkey for 80k/year is nice. Enjoy Jr.!

I never saw him play in college but this just shows there is no sure thing, second round means millions lost and little certainty. I never really saw him as a first round pick and I remember other posters saying top 15 recruit guaranteed to be first round, just isn't the case.

I never saw him play in college but this just shows there is no sure thing, second round means millions lost and little certainty. I never really saw him as a first round pick and I remember other posters saying top 15 recruit guaranteed to be first round, just isn't the case.

He has been predicted around 15 before and during most, if not the entire season. It was after the tournament and draft workouts that he got bumped to 22-25 range. Fell right out of the guaranteed money at the end.

The question isn't whether or not he would have done better as the big fish in a lake, or as a big fish in an ocean. Would he have been better served to return to Duke?

Sure, but you do know this is GopheHole right? Just pointed out he could have pulled a Kris Hump and put up some much bigger numbers.

Trent isn't the athlete the other SG's were. End of story. Just like Nate Mason, Jalen Brunson, Melo Trimble, you can be a great college player with average college athleticism, but in the NBA everyone is athletic and you can't get to the rim without being a great athlete.

There are a few exceptions like Steph Curry, who is uber skilled to make up for average athleticism.

Trent isn't the athlete the other SG's were. End of story.

Sure. I'm not sure I'd put him as a below average athlete in the NBA, more middle of the pack.

Despite being a second rounder, he's got a decent chance to stick in the NBA. We'll see soon, starting with the summer league.

Trent isn't the athlete the other SG's were. End of story. Just like Nate Mason, Jalen Brunson, Melo Trimble, you can be a great college player with average college athleticism, but in the NBA everyone is athletic and you can't get to the rim without being a great athlete.

There are a few exceptions like Steph Curry, who is uber skilled to make up for average athleticism.

Totally agree. Trent Jr. can get to open spots and make shots but not someone who can create on his own at the NBA level. Pretty much a catch a shoot guy.

One of the best schools at sending kids to the NBA offered him a scholarship and he accepted. Guess what? He got drafted into the NBA. Mission complete. I'm sure he has no regrets.

One of the best schools at sending kids to the NBA offered him a scholarship and he accepted. Guess what? He got drafted into the NBA. Mission complete. I'm sure he has no regrets.

Yep,

I'm sure he is perfectly fine "following the path he chose."

Wrong. Drafted in the first round = no regrets. 2nd round, completely different story.

Behind the scenes; safe bet that him and pops are not happy.

Wrong. Drafted in the first round = no regrets. 2nd round, completely different story.

Behind the scenes; safe bet that him and pops are not happy.

Yep. Once again HD is the voice of truth on the hoops board. 2nd round is a huge miss for Jr.
Tough to make an NBA roster as a slow guard who can't handle the ball real well.

Trent would not be projected to start for duke next season...next year draft is expected to be down...could have started 2 years for home town gophs and been a first rounder in 2019..

Yep. Once again HD is the voice of truth on the hoops board. 2nd round is a huge miss for Jr.
Tough to make an NBA roster as a slow guard who can't handle the ball real well.

And exactly how would have coming to the U been better for Trent ? He got to play for coach K, got to play at Duke and got to play in the ACC. All pretty big deals for a kid to have done all the work to have the power of choice. 42% of the NBA is made up of guys not drafted in the 1st round.

And exactly how would have coming to the U been better for Trent ? He got to play for coach K, got to play at Duke and got to play in the ACC. All pretty big deals for a kid to have done all the work to have the power of choice. 42% of the NBA is made up of guys not drafted in the 1st round.

I'm missing the part where I said he'd have been better off at the U.

I'm missing the part where I said he'd have been better off at the U.

Sorry, it was a general comment. Do not think it is a huge miss . He got to play for Duke and now he will get to play professionally. Just my opinion.

He would have had more time to develop and grow as a player. Not all players are NBA ready after one year and that is all you will get at a one and done school. There are people discussing red shirting freshman in another thread, same concept.

Agree, I just don't like the whole process, prep school, Duke/Kentucky/Kansas one and done, and then don't get selected in first round and may struggle or never play in the NBA. I guess we make our choices.

Trent would not be projected to start for duke next season...next year draft is expected to be down...could have started 2 years for home town gophs and been a first rounder in 2019..

Maybe, or maybe a sophomore Trent would be better than freshman Reddish or Barrett. Who knows?

He didn't go to Duke for the souvenirs. He went to there to be a lottery pick. Don't kid yourself, that's the line the Coach Ks of the world are selling these kids.

Call me petty, but I can't say it doesn't warm my heart a little when these kids forego loyalty to their home for the promises of grandeur from some sleezeball, and it doesn't work out for them.

If it was the kid's lifelong to dream to go live in North Carolina for a year and play in front an arena full of strangers, more power to him. But, your NBA prospects are no different if you're really that talented. Again, let's not kid ourselves with this faux high road.

Please explain how he would've been worse off at the U.

He didn't go to Duke for the souvenirs. He went to there to be a lottery pick. Don't kid yourself, that's the line the Coach Ks of the world are selling these kids.

Call me petty, but I can't say it doesn't warm my heart a little when these kids forego loyalty to their home for the promises of grandeur from some sleezeball, and it doesn't work out for them.

If it was the kid's lifelong to dream to go live in North Carolina for a year and play in front an arena full of strangers, more power to him. But, your NBA prospects are no different if you're really that talented. Again, let's not kid ourselves with this faux high road.

Please explain http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ler-amp-Wolitarski-playing-a-CFL-Game-now&how he would've been worse off at the U.

I agree that going to the U would not have hurt him and I am not sure that Duke elevated him in the view of the NBA scouts as much as he had expected.

I have been hearing the hype on Trent for years, and since I watch no HS BB except the HS Tourney games that are televised, so I looked forward to the game a few years back when Apple Valley played Hopkins. Trent was very hyped even then, and my recollection was the Amir Coffey got the best of him and played some very strong, blanket like D on Trent. My takeaway was that I'd rather have Amir Coffey than Gary Trent on my roster if I were a HC, even though obviously both are very talented.

Good riddance to these guys who think they are too good for the U of M. I am not too sad that R. Travis decided to go to Kentucky either. It would have been nice to have him as a role/ bench player, but in the Stanford clips Mike Max played the other day he did not look very explosive at all, he moved more like a 35 year old than Miles Bridges in my jaded view.

I like the young guys Pitino has been able to bring in for this year, and the talent is not a concern going forward at the U of M.

I agree that going to the U would not have hurt him and I am not sure that Duke elevated him in the view of the NBA scouts as much as he had expected.

I have been hearing the hype on Trent for years, and since I watch no HS BB except the HS Tourney games that are televised, so I looked forward to the game a few years back when Apple Valley played Hopkins. Trent was very hyped even then, and my recollection was the Amir Coffey got the best of him and played some very strong, blanket like D on Trent. My takeaway was that I'd rather have Amir Coffey than Gary Trent on my roster if I were a HC, even though obviously both are very talented.

Good riddance to these guys who think they are too good for the U of M. I am not too sad that R. Travis decided to go to Kentucky either. It would have been nice to have him as a role/ bench player, but in the Stanford clips Mike Max played the other day he did not look very explosive at all, he moved more like a 35 year old than Miles Bridges in my jaded view.

I like the young guys Pitino has been able to bring in for this year, and the talent is not a concern going forward at the U of M.

Coffey completely schooled Trent, I guess that was the point where I doubted his NBA ability, Trent just wasn't quick/athletic enough to get any shots off against Coffey.

I am not too sad that R. Travis decided to go to Kentucky either. It would have been nice to have him as a role/ bench player, but in the Stanford clips Mike Max played the other day he did not look very explosive at all, he moved more like a 35 year old than Miles Bridges in my jaded view.

Yeah, he has no lift whatsoever. He managed to block only 4 shots this year and has averaged just 0.3 blocks per 40 minutes over his career. You know how pathetic that is? Jamal Abu-Shamala averaged 0.4. Joey King averaged 0.5.

Top Bottom