Shama: Amir Coffey Potential First Round Pick

So, why didn’t he enter the NBA draft this year? Isn’t it well know that players never get any better by going back to school for another year or two (your Gary argument).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was injured. Not being medically cleared to shoot a basketball in a workout would be a big problem for most teams.

I'm sure most of my fellow Gopher fans don't want to think about it, but there is a pretty decent chance Amir isn't going to play his senior season in the Barn if he can shoot the three at around a 40% clip as a junior. NBA teams will salivate over that combined with his size and athleticism.

This reminds of the talk about Mitch Leidner being a first round pick before his senior season; we all know how that turned out. Hopefully Amir's professional bball career pans out better than Leidner's pro fb career.

This reminds of the talk about Mitch Leidner being a first round pick before his senior season; we all know how that turned out. Hopefully Amir's professional bball career pans out better than Leidner's pro fb career.

Nah, the talk about Buggs's NBA potential was a lot like the first round talks of Leidner.

The first round talk about Amir is much more similar to the first round talk guys like Hageman, Maxx, Campbell and Murray received. Guys who maybe could have been first rounders but ended up in taken in rounds 2-4. Leidner never had a chance whatsoever to be a first rounder. Not the same thing with Amir.

I'm sure most of my fellow Gopher fans don't want to think about it, but there is a pretty decent chance Amir isn't going to play his senior season in the Barn if he can shoot the three at around a 40% clip as a junior.

And due it while shooting a substantially greater volume of threes.

NBA teams will salivate over that combined with his size and athleticism.

Coffey has great height, but he has very poor length; his wingspan is only 6'7. NBA teams highly value such an attribute -- some to an absurd degree -- and Coffey, had he attended the combine, would have ranked almost dead last among wings.

The difference is with Amir, it could actually happen.

He was injured. Not being medically cleared to shoot a basketball in a workout would be a big problem for most teams.

I'm sure most of my fellow Gopher fans don't want to think about it, but there is a pretty decent chance Amir isn't going to play his senior season in the Barn if he can shoot the three at around a 40% clip as a junior. NBA teams will salivate over that combined with his size and athleticism.

Thanks, but I was being sarcastic relating his comment in another thread. I agree, Amir has a real shot and should take the opportunity if it is available to him.

I don't know about immensely, but he will need to improve, yes.
If Pitino ran a 4 out, 1 in motion offense when Hurt came in then it could work. That's if Hurt improves his 3 point shooting. He'd still need a lot of help on defense, however.

If Pitino ran a 4 out, 1 in motion offense when Hurt came in then it could work. That's if Hurt improves his 3 point shooting. He'd still need a lot of help on defense, however.

We are still talking about Coffey, correct?

So, why didn’t he enter the NBA draft this year? Isn’t it well know that players never get any better by going back to school for another year or two (your Gary argument).

Did you read what I posted? I said "I think Coffey plays in the NBA" and "I don't think he'll go in the first round".

It's precisely the reason why I said that "I don't think he'll go in the first round". Upperclassmen rarely play their way into the first round. I then went on to compare him to Rodney Williams (a player who is not in the NBA). I was making a case for Coffey being an NBA player. I was not making a case that he will have first round draft stock. I also think Gary Trent Jr. will play in the NBA and I don't think he becomes a first round pick by returning to Duke. I don't think his weaknesses somehow get fixed by a higher usage (playing at MN).

It's rare that an upperclassman plays their way into the lottery (when they otherwise wouldn't have been). You can find upperclassman who wouldn't have been drafted play their way into the draft thought. In general, age is a big strike against prospects in the NBA draft. I realize it sounds silly to talk about that with 20/21 year old athletes, but it's a statistical fact.

Did you read what I posted? I said "I think Coffey plays in the NBA" and "I don't think he'll go in the first round".

It's precisely the reason why I said that "I don't think he'll go in the first round". Upperclassmen rarely play their way into the first round. I then went on to compare him to Rodney Williams (a player who is not in the NBA). I was making a case for Coffey being an NBA player. I was not making a case that he will have first round draft stock. I also think Gary Trent Jr. will play in the NBA and I don't think he becomes a first round pick by returning to Duke. I don't think his weaknesses somehow get fixed by a higher usage (playing at MN).

It's rare that an upperclassman plays their way into the lottery (when they otherwise wouldn't have been). You can find upperclassman who wouldn't have been drafted play their way into the draft thought. In general, age is a big strike against prospects in the NBA draft. I realize it sounds silly to talk about that with 20/21 year old athletes, but it's a statistical fact.

From the Gary Trent thread you said the following about him possibly playing another year, but now you think it will help Amir.
.....The bitterness in your take also has blinded you to the truth about the NBA. Going back to school rarely helps players, even if they dominate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Gary Trent thread you said the following about him possibly playing another year, but now you think it will help Amir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't followed everything that has been said, but I think coming back to school can help some players while hurting others. If your draft stock isn't great, but you have a lot of untapped potential, coming back helps. If you've already virtually maxed out your potential, coming back will usually hurt you as you're just getting older. I'd argue Amir has lots of untapped potential still, so coming back should help him.

I haven't followed everything that has been said, but I think coming back to school can help some players while hurting others. If your draft stock isn't great, but you have a lot of untapped potential, coming back helps. If you've already virtually maxed out your potential, coming back will usually hurt you as you're just getting older. I'd argue Amir has lots of untapped potential still, so coming back should help him.

Tyus is a great example of someone who entered at his peak. He plays another year, who knows, could have been an early second rounder.

Just about every Power 5 team has a guy who could fit the description that started this thread. Potential, but needs to improve on multiple things.

There is a chance, but the odds are long because there are 100 plus guys in college who have the potential to be a first round draft pick and just need to work on a couple of things.

Just about every Power 5 team has a guy who could fit the description that started this thread. Potential, but needs to improve on multiple things.

There is a chance, but the odds are long because there are 100 plus guys in college who have the potential to be a first round draft pick and just need to work on a couple of things.

Well said!

Top Bottom