Shama: Amir Coffey Potential First Round Pick

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Nobody is talking about Amir Coffey right now but a basketball authority told Sports Headliners that a year from now the former Minnesota Mr. Basketball could be a first round selection in the NBA Draft.

Tonight’s 2018 NBA Draft prompts interest locally because the Timberwolves have the No. 20 selection in the first round. Gary Trent Jr., who played at Apple Valley High School and for Duke last winter, is another storyline to follow this evening. But a year from now this community might be focused on Coffey who will have played three seasons for the Golden Gophers and is blessed to have both the height and skills that potentially translate to an NBA career.

“There is no question he could be a first rounder,” said a former Big Ten coach who asked that his name not be used. “I would say if he has a decent season (next winter) he could a mid-first round, or even lottery pick.”

The 6-foot-8 Coffey projects as either a small forward or shooting guard in the pros. His talent package includes athleticism, ball handling, passing, driving, shooting and defending. He is also an unselfish player who cares more about winning than his statistics.

Coffey, though, hasn’t weighed much more than 200 pounds during his Gopher career. He is working to become stronger. “My biggest concern (for Coffey to become better) is his physical strength, and ability to hit the three consistently,” the source said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I would add driving, shooting, and defending. Passing is the only good/consistent skill I see.

He's great in transition and a reliable three point shooter on kick outs. Needs to get better at shooting off the dribble though.

I would add driving, shooting, and defending. Passing is the only good/consistent skill I see.

You could say that about a lot of first round picks. I mean look at what first round picks like Deyonta Davis, Skal Labissiere, Zach Lavine, Steven Adams and Kelly Oubre did in college. All of those guys only averaged like 7-9 points and 4-7 RPG in college.

For a 6-8 guy, Coffey's driving, shooting, perimeter defense and ball handling are all very good. Passing is outstanding.

I mean are Justin Jackson and Kevin Huerter from Maryland, two projected draft picks tonight with Huerter being a first rounder, really that much better than than what Coffey is or better at all? Before his ACL tear, Jackson was a projected first rounder and he absolutely was not better than Coffey and I also wound't say he necessarily has more NBA potential either. Some things I just don't get when it comes to NBA draft projections.

He's great in transition and a reliable three point shooter on kick outs. Needs to get better at shooting off the dribble though.

Yep, he already has a decent skill set to probably play in the NBA one day but if he wants to play for a long time and potentially be a starter which I think he very well could be, he needs to get much better at creating his own shot, especially in the midrange. He's not really a pure scorer right now, not the way Mason and Dupree are. Those two can create their own shot, shake a defender and nail a three or midrange two, oftentimes contested. They are more capable of scoring in a greater variety of ways than Coffey is. Dupree of course was much more inconsistent with this last year but two years ago, he was pretty good at creating and making his own shot. I'm not saying Dupree is a better offensive player than Coffey but his game resembles more of a pure scorer than Coffey's game does.

Clem Haskins: 85 percent of people die with potential.

Easy Trigger.....let's not get Gopher Hole all lathered up like they were over Rodney Williams' high draft status :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Easy Trigger.....let's not get Gopher Hole all lathered up like they were over Rodney Williams' high draft status :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rodney was twice the athlete, but not half the basketball player Amir is.

I don't know...I just don't see an NBA player yet. I hope it happens for him though.

I don't know...I just don't see an NBA player yet. I hope it happens for him though.
Agreed, I hope it happens for him as well. I like most everyone else certainly see unselfish but it verges on tentative all to often in my estimation. Tentative won’t work in the NBA.

Agreed, I hope it happens for him as well. I like most everyone else certainly see unselfish but it verges on tentative all to often in my estimation. Tentative won’t work in the NBA.
At present...his athleticism will get him noticed, but his shot and handles will hold him back. Like Murphy, he has to improve a few aspects of his game.

I could see Amir as an NBA type guy, but anonymous coach is right. I'd like to see him come back this season with another 15 pounds of muscle putting him around 215-220 pounds and I'd like to see him become a more consistent shooter/ and especially free throw shooter. Lastly he needs to develop an alpha dog mentality and be comfortable with being a major presence and taking over games. If he can do those things he'd definitely have a shot to be a 1st round pick, but again, those are alot of "ifs" right now.

Lastly he needs to develop an alpha dog mentality and be comfortable with being a major presence and taking over games.

Amir an alpha dog? Dont see it. He just trots around like its noon-ball and zero defensive intensity.. He'd be perfect for the nba.

He's a very skilled player and I'm glad we have him, just reminds me a bit of Wiggins.

Had better stay healthy. Another injury will throw shade on his desirability.

HOOP DREAMS;o you 1560799 said:
Amir an alpha dog? Dont see it. He just trots around like its noon-ball and zero defensive intensity.. He'd be perfect for the nba.
Wiggins a very skilled player and I'm glwe have him, just reminds me a bit of Wiggins.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Especially the part about Wiggins

As for what he's shown so far, I don't agree. I do agree that he has the potential to be one. Gotta see a huge jump though this year.

As for what he's shown so far, I don't agree. I do agree that he has the potential to be one. Gotta see a huge jump though this year.

Yes, is what he has showed so far in college really that much worse compared to what guys like Kevin Huerter or Justin Jackson from Maryland or guys like Deyonta Davis from MSU have shown in college?

Yes, is what he has showed so far in college really that much worse compared to what guys like Kevin Huerter or Justin Jackson from Maryland or guys like Deyonta Davis from MSU have shown in college?

I think Huerter maybe played more point and was like a 44% 3pt shooter. Coffey isn’t a bad shooter, but he’s not at Huerter’s level yet.

I think Huerter maybe played more point and was like a 44% 3pt shooter. Coffey isn’t a bad shooter, but he’s not at Huerter’s level yet.

As a shooter Huerter is much better but is he really that much better of an overall basketball player than Amir is?

Huerter might be more athletic. Great shooter which is premo in the NBA. Big year for Coffey the tools are there

He's got length, can defend, can get out in transition, and can shoot 3s. There is always room in the NBA for a guy like that. The Timberwolves just drafted a guy like that in the first round. But, he has to prove he can stay healthy for a full season.

He should be a little stronger. We should get better PG play, which should help immensely. I'm expecting a big year.

Next years NBA draft is considered extremely weak. Very WEAK!

This is why he can be first round.

One area of improvement I hope to see next year, besides improvement in his FT's and overall shooting, is keeping the ball up high as he drives for close in shots at the rim. He demonstrates he can beat his defender to the basket, but then he tends to lower his shot and as he shoots the ball, he has his shot blocked. He needs to use his height and play at 6'8" instead of 6'3"

I think Coffey actually plays in the NBA.

He is 6'8", athletic enough and can knock down open threes. There is an enormous market for 6'8", wings who can knock down open shots. He also can pass a bit and rebound a little.

In comparison to R. Williams.
Coffey is a much better shooter.
Coffey is a similar rebounder (probably better but plays with Jordan Murphy and Lynch who gobbled up a lot).
Coffey is a much better passer.
Coffey is a much better ball handler.
Coffey is slightly larger.

He is just a much better pro prospect than Williams. That said, I don't think he'll go in the first round unless he puts up 15 PPG on 40% on his 3PA. Even then, it could be a stretch.

I think Coffey actually plays in the NBA.

He is 6'8", athletic enough and can knock down open threes. There is an enormous market for 6'8", wings who can knock down open shots. He also can pass a bit and rebound a little.

In comparison to R. Williams.
Coffey is a much better shooter.
Coffey is a similar rebounder (probably better but plays with Jordan Murphy and Lynch who gobbled up a lot).
Coffey is a much better passer.
Coffey is a much better ball handler.
Coffey is slightly larger.

He is just a much better pro prospect than Williams. That said, I don't think he'll go in the first round unless he puts up 15 PPG on 40% on his 3PA. Even then, it could be a stretch.

So, why didn’t he enter the NBA draft this year? Isn’t it well know that players never get any better by going back to school for another year or two (your Gary argument).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom